Rooted Kindle Fire HD with working GAPPS and Play Store

Search This thread

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
This method worked great for me, and thanks for the tips on YouTube and Google movies, both are working now (initially hung on sign-in as you said).

Is there any way to trick the play market into allowing me to install applications that it thinks are incompatible with the device? Several of the apps I would like to install I cannot because of the message.

jayper

Sep 17, 2012
Sideload?

Worked for me as well and I'm not rooted! This is going to put big smiles on lots of folks' faces since many don't root. So this is what ICS really looks like on the KFHD! :) Time to personalize with widgets and themes!

Did you have to sideload ADW Launcher? I have searched for it on the Play Store and it is listed as unsupported for my device and will not allow me to download...

semifast

Jan 6, 2009
On the rooted Kindle HD, does Google Maps work ?

Also, do apps installed through Google Play work or do they need some tinkering with permissions to get working ?

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles

Also, do apps installed through Google Play work or do they need some tinkering with permissions to get working ?

i haven't tried maps yet, but everything else i've installed from the play store have worked with no further tinkering necessary. (a handful of games and other apps)

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010

The apps work for the most part, but several tell you that you have an unsupported device (maps included). I'm messing around with editing the build.prop file, but I can't get one that works. The method I'm doing is:

1) Backup /system/build.prop
2) Edit /system/build.prop (I'm using vi via adb shell)
3) Delete data/cache from Google Play app
4) Reboot

I will say this has caused a bit of panic as my Kindle has refused to boot a few times. I was able to restore my backup file though using adb shell and the same method to remount /system as RW described in the rooting how-to (local.prop edit).

Does anyone have a working build.prop that is allowing them to install some currently blocked apps? I'm using Maps to test with, since its blocked currently.

Misfit77

Mar 31, 2011
Google Maps

The apps work for the most part, but several tell you that you have an unsupported device (maps included). I'm messing around with editing the build.prop file, but I can't get one that works. The method I'm doing is:

1) Backup /system/build.prop
2) Edit /system/build.prop (I'm using vi via adb shell)
3) Delete data/cache from Google Play app
4) Reboot

I will say this has caused a bit of panic as my Kindle has refused to boot a few times. I was able to restore my backup file though using adb shell and the same method to remount /system as RW described in the rooting how-to (local.prop edit).

Does anyone have a working build.prop that is allowing them to install some currently blocked apps? I'm using Maps to test with, since its blocked currently.

It's weird, I'm not rooted but I side loaded Google Maps and it loads up way fast and instantly located my position. However, if I search for anything it just hangs at the "search for...". Is everyone else getting an unsupported device error?

Something else weird I just noticed, it has me signed in with a "@youtube.com" instead of "@gmail.com" . When I try to switch accounts to the latter it crashed maps.

Last edited:

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
It's weird, I'm not rooted but I side loaded Google Maps and it loads up way fast and instantly located my position. However, if I search for anything it just hangs at the "search for...". Is everyone else getting an unsupported device error?

Something else weird I just noticed, it has me signed in with a "@youtube.com" instead of "@gmail.com" . When I try to switch accounts to the latter it crashed maps.

The unsupported device message is in the google play store when you try to install there. I don't want to sideload, it means I have to keep doing that every time there is an update.

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
Well I have tried several different build.prop edits none with success. On my google account online I see that it has officially registered my devices as a "Nexus S" which should be compatiple with several apps, but still does not work. I noticed if I modify the ro.product.board line specifically, it will often result in the Kindle not booting. This is an FYI to anyone who decides to tinker there. You can recover, see my other post for basic details.

I am also attaching a copy of the default/stock build.prop, just in case someone forgets to backup the filer prior. I'm not sure you will be able to do an "adb push" if you can only partially boot, but you can do an adb shell (su doesn't work though!).

If anyone has any success modifying their build.prop to allow for additional google apps to be installed, please post it, I would be very appreciative!

Attachments

• build.prop.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 81

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
It's weird, I'm not rooted but I side loaded Google Maps and it loads up way fast and instantly located my position. However, if I search for anything it just hangs at the "search for...".

You need to install the app in /system/app (similar to what was suggested earlier for movies and youtube). Try this:

Code:
# adb shell
[INDENT]
# su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# chmod 777 /system/app
# exit
[/INDENT]
# adb push Maps.apk /system/app
# adb shell
[INDENT]
# cd /system/app/
# chown 0 Maps.apk
# chgrp 0 Maps.apk (you need busybox installed for this)
# chmod 644 Maps.apk
# reboot
[/INDENT]

Should work after that.

PMcHargue

Aug 21, 2012
okay, so what worked for me was reinstalling the framework services and rebooting right after, now i am signed in thanks!! :D

This worked for me, as well. I did it differently the first time, and had to back it al out. Following the directions in the OP, and rebooting after the framework was installed, got me to the play.google.com store, and I can see the apps I have loaded on my other tablet.

No launcher, though. I installed the APEX launcher, but I can't make it go. Not clear what's up with that. As well, the swiftkey 3, tablet edition, won't progress past asking me to enable the keyboard in settings.

Ah well. Fun all around.

ClarkSt

Oct 29, 2010
Worked for me as well and I'm not rooted! This is going to put big smiles on lots of folks' faces since many don't root. So this is what ICS really looks like on the KFHD! :) Time to personalize with widgets and themes!

When I go to Google Play Store and search for ADW Launcher, I get that its not compatible with this device... Are you side-loading this?

EDIT: To be clear, I have rooted and installed Google Play Store, of course. I'm able to buy and download other apps from Play. I do notice other apps that I want that give me the same message. I also see that I can;t see Google Maps on Play, either !!! Do I need to do something in a build.prop, or whatever, to get the KFHD7 to think it's something else? (though that may screw up the Amazon store...?)

Last edited:

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
When I go to Google Play Store and search for ADW Launcher, I get that its not compatible with this device... Are you side-loading this?

EDIT: To be clear, I have rooted and installed Google Play Store, of course. I'm able to buy and download other apps from Play. I do notice other apps that I want that give me the same message. I also see that I can;t see Google Maps on Play, either !!! Do I need to do something in a build.prop, or whatever, to get the KFHD7 to think it's something else? (though that may screw up the Amazon store...?)

i sideloaded gmaps and it's been working fine, i'm going to assume that's how people are getting adw on it

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea

Look for ADW Launcher EX. I downloaded mine from the play store but it will cost you $$. I previously purchased it quite some time ago when there was a sale. It was compatible with the KFHD the other day when I installed it.

There is a working Google Maps APK floating around in this section of the board which you can side load.

Ichigo

May 30, 2012
Nowhere
Anybody want me to make a script that will download these files and install them for you?

Android>iOS... Android FTW!

hebbian

Sep 22, 2012
So I gave this a shot and it worked perfectly.

1. Root your Kindle Fire HD
2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
3. Download Vending.apk
4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
6. Install Vending.apk
7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
9. Enjoy!

GoogleServicesFramework.apk - mediafire.com/?zaumfwhraxcifqf
Vending.apk - mediafire.com/?31bn3e258jjpj8d
Play.apk - mediafire.com/?wwcqrlfwt8o1gnv
Hi stopxwatch, Im a newbie to Andriod, the 4th step I am quite confuesd, move vending.apk does it mean intall and move to /system/app or just download and move to? really appreicate for sharing,thx.

sAixKo

Sep 22, 2012
Does anyone have issue where a game like osmosis would flip upside down in landscape mode?

sAixKo

Sep 22, 2012
Never heard of that game, but does the game still rotate it when you turn the KFHD around? If you have auto rotate on, you can use the device in any position you wanted, there isn't really an "up".

You could install the Gun Zombie: Hell Gate on the amazon app store. Play it and screen would turn upside down in landscape mode. I think its app dependent.

Back to topic:

Thanks stopxwatch! I got the playstore working.

mapsmailbox

Aug 27, 2012
I am stuck at step 8. When I install play.apk by adb command, it said "INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXIST". It does not upgrade to Play.

Did you install it sucessful? Did you use file explorer app to install play.apk? Does it upgrade to Play? Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Download Vending.apk
    4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
    5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
    6. Install Vending.apk
    7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
    8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
    9. Enjoy!

Does Amazon Instant video still work after rooting? A bunch of people keep asking this.

Yeah works fine after root.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Yeah works fine after root.

I figured out how to get Google Play Movies to work as well. Place in system/app folder. set permissions to rw r r. reboot. install from file explorer launcher. If it doesn't work, reinstall again. Youtube signs in now as well using the same method!!!

YEAH BABY!
    try rebooting the fire.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

okay, so what worked for me was reinstalling the framework services and rebooting right after, now i am signed in thanks!! :D

3. Download Vending.apk
    6. Install Vending.apk
    9. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that we have no way of restoring the system folder yet, so if anything goes wrong with this process, you may end up bricking your tablet. Just a warning. :D
    how about attaching said apks?

or at least which ones?

i'm going to guess it's the latest gapps for ICS though?