[Q] Flashed new TWRP now no recovery.

Search This thread

insaneretard

Dec 23, 2011
I installed the KOT49H GE ROM on my AT&T SGH-I337 and it runs great. I then decided to see if there was an update to TWRP and I found an updated one and flashed it via goo.im. I later read that this is not the way to do it. Anyway, when I boot into recovery a big yella triangle appears and at&t scolds me for running in authorized firmware. I can boot into download, cancel it and the ROM boots and runs fine.

Under the "about device" page on settings it says the baseband is MK2 (because I flashed that modem). If I look at the boot loader version via android terminal emulator it shows I'm still on MDL.

Any ideas how to get recovery working again?

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
I am trying to understand the reason why you flashed a recovery.
From your post, it looks like you are using safestrap and deadly venom tool to run GE.
You can flash the MLD files from the tool to get the recovery back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

insaneretard

Dec 23, 2011
I found an updated version of TWRP and thought it would be a good idea to update it. I think the problem might be that I didn't use Loki doki before I installed the twrp update. It can't get to the recovery now. Will I mess anything up if I use motochopper? I don't want safestrap because I like the Google Edition ROM and I'm still on the MDL boot loader.

I'm pretty much a newb with this S4. I had my S2 rooted with task650's ROM and understood that better because no locked bootloader

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
I found an updated version of TWRP and thought it would be a good idea to update it. I think the problem might be that I didn't use Loki doki before I installed the twrp update. It can't get to the recovery now. Will I mess anything up if I use motochopper? I don't want safestrap because I like the Google Edition ROM and I'm still on the MDL boot loader.

I'm pretty much a newb with this S4. I had my S2 rooted with task650's ROM and understood that better because no locked bootloader

My bad! I read that you had "MLD" bootloader instead of "MDL" and hence my comment. MLD is a leaked 4.4 firmware.

Motochopper is used to root and I am guessing you still have root. All you need to do is flash a recovery.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest-twrp-recovery-for-att-galaxy-s4-android-4-4-compatible/

This link provides an Odin flashable TWRP.

insaneretard

Dec 23, 2011
My bad! I read that you had "MLD" bootloader instead of "MDL" and hence my comment. MLD is a leaked 4.4 firmware.

Motochopper is used to root and I am guessing you still have root. All you need to do is flash a recovery.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest-twrp-recovery-for-att-galaxy-s4-android-4-4-compatible/

This link provides an Odin flashable TWRP.

Thanks for helping me out. I tried this yesterday and today with the link you provided. When I try to flash it via odin, it comes up as failed. On my phone, it says "SECURE CHECK FAIL: recovery" in red letters on the download page. Any other ideas?

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
You could try grabbing the mdl package, an extracting the recovery from it and flash in Odin or Heimdall. Worst case you flash to mdl and then motochopper it again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

insaneretard

Dec 23, 2011
You could try grabbing the mdl package, an extracting the recovery from it and flash in Odin or Heimdall. Worst case you flash to mdl and then motochopper it again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks. Do i need root to do this? I don't think I even have root any more. I'm running a custom ROM without root access. I tried to use CASUAL to root and install the recovery but it couldn't root it.

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
You will only need to root again if you go all the way back to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app