TeamEos joins CodeFireX discussion and testing

Search This thread

bigrushdog

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2007
Ohai! Here's the deal. I pulled the plug on the Eos project for a few reasons. First, I became unable to maintain the quality of the project while having to deal with countless internal systems issues and doing branch and build maintenance. Second, I didn't have control of the servers and other various resources, like the Goo account. That's why I couldn't get rid of the last two derped builds. Third, I'd rather focus on innovation than dealing with all the internal AOSP build system stuff. As of now, it appears the Eos servers are offline. Which is fine because i have the repository on numerous boxes and right here on my laptop. Finally, I was no longer enjoying Androiding. I NEEDED SOME FRESH ENERGY! Virtually the entire Eos team has already migrated to the new project and got their respective devices up and running! I put about 40 hours a week into Android and I needed to find some guys who have similar time to dedicate to a project. And that team is CodeFireX, lead by Synergy.

A little about Synergy, founder and new combined project team leader. Synergy is a linux guru. He is a master of the aosp build system and talented C programmer. Synergy leads the AOSP scene in innovative new optimization techniques and build solutions. TeamEos has worked closely with Synergy and CodeFireX for a while now. So the decision for us to migrate over to CFX made perfect sense.

When I drop some test builds, you will notice that, indeed, it is a new project, with some new philosophy. There is more CyanogenMod resources in this project. Particularly, some of the CyanogenMod apps including the CMFileManager and Apollo, the CM music player. We are also using the open source Superuser solution from Koush. "Why is this?" "Won't it look like a kang build?" Well, yes. But this project will be the one getting kanged. Like Eos, this project started with a pure AOSP base. I have been surgical in bringing in select desired resources from other teams. Synergy embraces the philosophy of having a solid build without a gapps package installed. In light of recent revelations regarding government surveillance, many people are enjoying Android without the Google Services. We want to provide a build that caters to these wise individuals. And, we feel that the open source CyanogenMod resources are the best. You will "feel" Eos in this build. The Eos spirit lives on in CFX. Always remember, it's not about team names, it's about people.

We now have a wealth of new resources to provide to our users. We have dedicated hosting in which downloading builds will be smoking fast. We have SERIOUS bandwidth. We also have a new forum in which we can provide users with tools that go beyond XDA support. However, I will continue to maintain XDA threads, of course. We have a sophisticated new ChangeLog scheme. And we now use Phabricator instead of Gerrit for project review.

Xoom users face a challenge now. Because of optimization, the build is rather large. Optimization increases the size of libraries and binaries. So, in order to get a successful Xoom build, I have to really "unbloat" the build. This is due to the Xoom having such a small system partition. And that brings us to gapps. Many of you know, CyanogenMod has made the decision to discontinue support on "non-neon" devices. The Xoom is one such device. The reason for this is mostly because Google is discontinuing support of non-neon devices as well. So, for now, I don't have a solid gapps solution. But i'll come up with something, I always do ;D

Test Builds: I should have round 1 up soon. First rounds will be no gapps and meant to simply test core functionality and hardware.

I truly hope you guys enjoy the new project. Besides, it's time to get some fresh ENERGY back in the Xoom scene anyway!

Stay tuned

Last edited:

petrossa

Dec 1, 2010
menton
petrossa.wordpress.com
I'd leave the gapps with the minimum of attention. Just that what's necessary to make it functioning at first boot and install via playstore. The rest is either just dead weight, irritating google mess or way better in 3rd party apps. Saves time, effort and space.

tnfsmith

Jul 9, 2010
LongXuyen
lequocthai.com
My Xoom does not recognize device associated with Web Play store any more. It's seem third-party app Google not really need to reloaded. We can get it manual by Google Play.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bigrushdog

Apr 23, 2007
I'd leave the gapps with the minimum of attention. Just that what's necessary to make it functioning at first boot and install via playstore. The rest is either just dead weight, irritating google mess or way better in 3rd party apps. Saves time, effort and space.

Ya. I don't really wanna be the one responsible for the gapps mess the xoom has become. I'll see if the build compiles. If so, i'll get any fixes merged and have Syn fire off some builds. It may feel a little bare bones, but you will see I'm bringing in the good stuff from Eos. So ya, we'll be good.

hawkstorm

Nov 10, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
It's wonderful news hearing that the EOS team will continue development for the XOOM. I agree on the Gapps issue, a lot of them have been made available on the Play Store. Calendar, GMail, Search can be downloaded separately - this would also ensure that the team need not worry about updating them.

synergye

Jul 6, 2010
Ohai! Here's the deal. I pulled the plug on the Eos project for a few reasons. First, I became unable to maintain the quality of the project while having to deal with countless internal systems issues and doing branch and build maintenance. Second, I didn't have control of the servers and other various resources, like the Goo account. That's why I couldn't get rid of the last two derped builds. Third, I'd rather focus on innovation than dealing with all the internal AOSP build system stuff. As of now, it appears the Eos servers are offline. Which is fine because i have the repository on numerous boxes and right here on my laptop. Finally, I was no longer enjoying Androiding. I NEEDED SOME FRESH ENERGY! Virtually the entire Eos team has already migrated to the new project and got their respective devices up and running! I put about 40 hours a week into Android and I needed to find some guys who have similar time to dedicate to a project. And that team is CodeFireX, lead by Synergy.

A little about Synergy, founder and new combined project team leader. Synergy is a linux guru. He is a master of the aosp build system and talented C programmer. Synergy leads the AOSP scene in innovative new optimization techniques and build solutions. TeamEos has worked closely with Synergy and CodeFireX for a while now. So the decision for us to migrate over to CFX made perfect sense.

When I drop some test builds, you will notice that, indeed, it is a new project, with some new philosophy. There is more CyanogenMod resources in this project. Particularly, some of the CyanogenMod apps including the CMFileManager and Apollo, the CM music player. We are also using the open source Superuser solution from Koush. "Why is this?" "Won't it look like a kang build?" Well, yes. But this project will be the one getting kanged. Like Eos, this project started with a pure AOSP base. I have been surgical in bringing in select desired resources from other teams. Synergy embraces the philosophy of having a solid build without a gapps package installed. In light of recent revelations regarding government surveillance, many people are enjoying Android without the Google Services. We want to provide a build that caters to these wise individuals. And, we feel that the open source CyanogenMod resources are the best. You will "feel" Eos in this build. The Eos spirit lives on in CFX. Always remember, it's not about team names, it's about people.

We now have a wealth of new resources to provide to our users. We have dedicated hosting in which downloading builds will be smoking fast. We have SERIOUS bandwidth. We also have a new forum in which we can provide users with tools that go beyond XDA support. However, I will continue to maintain XDA threads, of course. We have a sophisticated new ChangeLog scheme. And we now use Phabricator instead of Gerrit for project review.

Xoom users face a challenge now. Because of optimization, the build is rather large. Optimization increases the size of libraries and binaries. So, in order to get a successful Xoom build, I have to really "unbloat" the build. This is due to the Xoom having such a small system partition. And that brings us to gapps. Many of you know, CyanogenMod has made the decision to discontinue support on "non-neon" devices. The Xoom is one such device. The reason for this is mostly because Google is discontinuing support of non-neon devices as well. So, for now, I don't have a solid gapps solution. But i'll come up with something, I always do ;D

Test Builds: I should have round 1 up soon. First rounds will be no gapps and meant to simply test core functionality and hardware.

I truly hope you guys enjoy the new project. Besides, it's time to get some fresh ENERGY back in the Xoom scene anyway!

Stay tuned

Wow, you give too much credit to me for sure! It's like an XDA blowjob!

Seriously though, all these developers are a real treat to work with, and we all look at development in our own unique (and sometimes frustrating) ways which makes it that much more entertaining.

I don't hang around XDA too much, but wanted to pop in and say "howdy."

Regarding GApps, there are fully functional 8mb gapps packs already in existence that are well maintained. Everything else is on market now anyway. All that's "different" for xoom is that you guys have non-neon libs that must be used instead of the neon libs. It's an easy updater script change, and I'm in talks with a gapps maintainer right now to add them in so we won't need to worry about maintenance at all :).

Beyond that, I don't think many users push stuff to their system partitions currently, so we might just want to ride the line...into the

dangerzone.jpg

Take it easy xoom folks,
Synergy

realjumy

Nov 18, 2007
I used CodeFireX in my Desire HD and I know how serious is this guy coding... I really believe that with him and bigrushdog at our side, our Xoom will have a long and prosper life...

Thanks @bigrushdog and @synergye.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
This seems like a very exciting time! Thanks for the hard work!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: erlucky

illingd

Mar 30, 2011
So, is this just Xoom related, or will there be ROMs for other devices that used to have EOS - like TF101, Nexus 7, Nexus 4 ?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

flight666

Mar 10, 2012
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Thanks a lot BRD!

It's wonderful all the effort BRD does supporting the beloved Xoom!

I use EOS on my MZ604 since the beginning and nowadays I was thinking about a tablet upgrade. Been thinking about Xperia Tablet Z or Nexus 10, but now after this great BRD announcement, I think I 'm giving Xoom an additional gas! :)

I' m looking forward to start testing the builds and have certain BRD, Team EOS and Synergy will succeed in every aspects bringing the best and longer life for our good old Xoom! :)

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Is there a posted list of devices by chance? I'm getting an S4 GPE tomorrow...wondering if that's supported.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
http://downloads.codefi.re/synergy

http://www.codefirex.com/index.php?p=/categories/changelog

Forum is still under construction. No formal list yet. I think we do have a s4 build now.

Awesome, thanks! If I'm being a pest with the questions, just tell me to STFU. :) One more if you don't mind. It's likely that the 4.3 source will be released after Google's announcement on Tuesday. I assume you guys will be looking at incorporating it into the new roms when possible?

bigrushdog

Apr 23, 2007
In my case i Need Everest will they also be cooked today vor should i try wingray for now?

Sent from my MZ601 using xda premium

All xoom builds should be up. Please try everest. I'm curious if radio is solid.

Awesome, thanks! If I'm being a pest with the questions, just tell me to STFU. :) One more if you don't mind. It's likely that the 4.3 source will be released after Google's announcement on Tuesday. I assume you guys will be looking at incorporating it into the new roms when possible?

When 4.3 drops, we'll be working overtime merging. Synergy loves all that crap! I hate all that crap! See, this project works! But I'll help merge and make sure things are smooth and proper. This is a convo thread dude. Ask away!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Stay tuned
    I decided were going balls to the wall on 4.3. I'll report back when I got a Xoom 4.3 build.

Stay tuned

Wow, you give too much credit to me for sure! It's like an XDA blowjob!

Seriously though, all these developers are a real treat to work with, and we all look at development in our own unique (and sometimes frustrating) ways which makes it that much more entertaining.

I don't hang around XDA too much, but wanted to pop in and say "howdy."

Regarding GApps, there are fully functional 8mb gapps packs already in existence that are well maintained. Everything else is on market now anyway. All that's "different" for xoom is that you guys have non-neon libs that must be used instead of the neon libs. It's an easy updater script change, and I'm in talks with a gapps maintainer right now to add them in so we won't need to worry about maintenance at all :).

Beyond that, I don't think many users push stuff to their system partitions currently, so we might just want to ride the line...into the

dangerzone.jpg

Take it easy xoom folks,
    Synergy
    I'm changing the game plan just a bit. For now, we're having issues getting 4.3 up and running. Why? Don't know. Not my department anymore :D. That being said, I can't let all that slow us down. So here's what's up. I'm gonna keep dropping 4.2 codefireX builds. The purpose is to field test features as I bring them in. The idea being to have solid features all queued up and merge ready when 4.3 starts acting right. And xoom users have been abused lately with all this uncertainty. So I'll bring us a little stability back. I'll have some coffee and start cooking builds. Cheers!
    Just had a little chat with the BRD over IRC, I'll ship it to him and he'll play with it, then ship it back at some point in the future.

So I think we're on the right track!