[PRJ] Rooting the Droid Eris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
Just to be clear...

You most likely can't run the RUU for the Sprint Hero from the computer and have it apply that ROM to the phone with a goldcard. The problem is that the software on the computer is going to check to make sure that the device is a Hero200 before it even starts.

However, you may be able to run the RUU for the Sprint Hero, find the temp files... locate the rom.zip. Copy it out... put it on the sdcard with the goldcard, as the device specific filename PBsomething.ZIP, and it MAY load it that way. Depends on if it checks the file within the zip that says "this is for a Hero200". You will not be able to modify anything in the rom.zip file though to make it for a different device.

When you boot into your "goldcard mode" (for lack of a better term in my brain), are you able to adb into the device? If so, are you root? If so... you can just apply a recovery.img from there.

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
Could someone compile this for us, it looks like it may work.... fingers crossed....
http://milw0rm.com/exploits/9191

I'd love to, but there's no code in that link.

One thing you guys need to realize... the guy that ran milw0rm is dead (not a joke... no kidding... he's not with us anymore), so that site is no good for your resources. Anything that's already listed there has been patched by the time your phone was released, and no new exploits will be posted on that site. It will probably just run until the hosting company realizes nobody's paying the bill, and then the site will go away permanently.

I posted a link for you guys to check... that's probably your best resource at this point.

rigamrts

Apr 12, 2009
Maybe you want to try the original RUU method that jmanly posted. Run the ruu, replace the rom.zip in the temp directory with one that has a different recovery.img in it and then finish running the Ruu. Maybe this would be the way to go?

tried and died. i know the goldcard works cause i tested it on my dream. doesn't mean that goldcard is dead just all existing ways goldcard worked are being bypassed. i think goldcard will never die completly without a total rewrite of android. we just need to either find an uber geek to tweek the ruu or find another way.

apreichner

Apr 12, 2009
I hope everyone who was trying to flash through goldcard was flashing through SD card and not trying to flash through the PC.....

The goldcard is pointless if you use the PC to flash.

rigamrts

Apr 12, 2009
I hope everyone who was trying to flash through goldcard was flashing through SD card and not trying to flash through the PC.....

The goldcard is pointless if you use the PC to flash.

i know the rom needs to be on the sdcard the problem is the goldcard is nothing like the nbh method so we need adb to push our rom without a physical keyboard. the nbh is a rom that was created by htc to rollback phones to prior builds that's it. it was not created by someone here or a hacker from a different forum. that's why the nbh works for a bone stock dream and don't look to someone getting another nbh cause htc learned from the first time one got released. someone here sugested to try jmanleys method so i did to kill it. adb push from my sd card won't work. the hero goldcard method won't work. the only way i think we can get the goldcard to work is to mod the ruu to look in the sdcard directory insted of the temp folder and load our rom. any which way we look at it we have to use adb or the ruu to move our rom with the goldcard method or find an exploit so we can dump su into the system bin directory so we can mount our own rom.

apreichner

Apr 12, 2009
i know the rom needs to be on the sdcard the problem is the goldcard is nothing like the nbh method so we need adb to push our rom without a physical keyboard. the nbh is a rom that was created by htc to rollback phones to prior builds that's it. it was not created by someone here or a hacker from a different forum. that's why the nbh works for a bone stock dream and don't look to someone getting another nbh cause htc learned from the first time one got released. someone here sugested to try jmanleys method so i did to kill it. adb push from my sd card won't work. the hero goldcard method won't work. the only way i think we can get the goldcard to work is to mod the ruu to look in the sdcard directory insted of the temp folder and load our rom. any which way we look at it we have to use adb or the ruu to move our rom with the goldcard method or find an exploit so we can dump su into the system bin directory so we can mount our own rom.

Yeah see, this is where I think we went wrong. I think what we need to do is get a ROM dump and work on creating a Custom ROM full of exploits we need. (Which will be a .nbh file after we finish.) Then attempt to flash the custom ROM using the Goldcard. Placing the ROM on the SD Card and flashing similar to the G1 Guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=485364 .

That guide has nothing to do with a physical keyboard on the device. We just need to rename the custom image something along the lines of HEROIMG.nbh or DESIIMG.nhb, I'm not too sure which name to use flashing a ROM from the SD card. My guess is it's the first four letters of the codename followed by IMG.nbh

So it appears the hardest part here is going to be finding/creating an NBH ROM image that we can boot from SD card.

apreichner

Apr 12, 2009
have you had any success finding out what archiving software they used for the dream nbh. cause i'm scratching my head over here. 7zip which i found works for most damaged archives won't even budge.

On the DREAM I think they just used an .nbh file that came from the official RUU exe. I think the only hope we have right now is that the official Hero RUU NBH will flash to our device. Unless we find someone who figured out how to create custom NBH roms. Although none of the ROM cooks I have found thus far have done that.

rigamrts

Apr 12, 2009
it's more like non of the rom cook would even try. it's easy to cook roms off of an already hacked phone since i can lay all my code into my phone the dump it to zip resign it and BAM!! new rom on the way to the masses. creating custom nbh's would be too much of a pain for the rom cooks. i'm no uber hacker either so i'm just trying all the things i learned in linux to slide stuff in while working at ibm fixxing all those antiquated unix database servers that cheap companies buy mixxed with some things i learned from my dream while playing with it.

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
it's more like non of the rom cook would even try. it's easy to cook roms off of an already hacked phone since i can lay all my code into my phone the dump it to zip resign it and BAM!! new rom on the way to the masses. creating custom nbh's would be too much of a pain for the rom cooks. i'm no uber hacker either so i'm just trying all the things i learned in linux to slide stuff in while working at ibm fixxing all those antiquated unix database servers that cheap companies buy mixxed with some things i learned from my dream while playing with it.

I think you guys are missing the simple point. You don't have to create a completely custom ROM if all you want is root. You just need to change one file, and you have total access to everything.

You can change system.img to include su...
You can change default.prop in boot.img so that adb runs as root...
You can change recovery.img so you can install your own update.zip...

You take the ROM that you've been given, change one of those items, package it back up into an nbh, and you can do anything you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.