[Q] moto g - using PC broadband on moto g

Search This thread

gilagamesh

Feb 19, 2014
Hi,

I own a moto g and I have a broadband connection on my PC. Is there any way I use that to access internet on my moto g ?
If there is please explain.

Thanks & Regards
Gilagamesh

nomancoolboy

Jun 24, 2012
Ahmedabad
Hi,

I own a moto g and I have a broadband connection on my PC. Is there any way I use that to access internet on my moto g ?
If there is please explain.

Thanks & Regards
Gilagamesh

do you have a desktop or a laptop ..
if desktop then you should try some apps like reverse USB tethering ..which are very simple to use ..
there are too many apps like this which you can find on the play store ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dnana_28

Jan 3, 2012
Thru Ethernet cable? If so change your modem to WiFi modem if using from data card use WiFi dongle search ebay

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

jaspreet997

Jul 15, 2013
Well if you are on laptop...you can use this software known as Connectify to set up a Hotspot on ur laptop
You can do that with a wifi adapter on a PC too

gilagamesh

Feb 19, 2014
Well if you are on laptop...you can use this software known as Connectify to set up a Hotspot on ur laptop
You can do that with a wifi adapter on a PC too

By the way I am using a Desktop PC and I don't have a Wifi adapter. But can't I use usb cables for connecting internet on my mobile? I that mandatory that I purchase a Wifi adapter?

jaspreet997

Jul 15, 2013
By the way I am using a Desktop PC and I don't have a Wifi adapter. But can't I use usb cables for connecting internet on my mobile? I that mandatory that I purchase a Wifi adapter?

Not at all
There are some reverse tethering apps to get ur pc's internet just by USB cable but they need a rooted phone!
Search on play store " reverse tethering"

If you don't wanna root....invest in a router...they are pretty cheap nowdays!

Sent from Samsung Chat

Reactions: suhridkhan

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)

You can setup an ad hoc wifi network and share the internet connection to connected devices.
You can do it using the Control Panel or using the CMD.

In Windows 8 this functionality ist not available anymore using the GUI.
These commands should work on all windows pc's.
Replace ssid and key with your own if wanted.

Remember to open CMD with admin rights.

To configure adhoc network typ in CMD:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NameForMyNetwork key=MySecurityKey

To start adhoc network type in CMD:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

To stop adhoc network type in CMD:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

Open properties of your network adapter on PC and you'll find an option to share the internet connection of connected devices of the specific adapter.

Connect your Android over wifi to your PC, voila, you should be done if i did not forget something.......

EDIT:

Aaaargh.....just saw it by reading it the thread a second time....you have no wifi.
But anyway, maybe it helps somebody else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firetribe

jaspreet997

Jul 15, 2013
You can setup an ad hoc wifi network and share the internet connection to connected devices.

Open properties of your network adapter on PC and you'll find an option to share the internet connection of connected devices of the specific adapter.

Connect your Android over wifi to your PC, voila, you should be done if i did not forget something.......

EDIT:

Aaaargh.....just saw it by reading it the thread a second time....you have no wifi.

A simpler way to go at it is a software called Connectify....completely gui based...I used to use it all the time on my laptop.....works on windows xp sp3 and up....

Sent from Samsung Chat

prachetas13

May 3, 2012
Kolkata
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 9 Pro
@mokkami

This is to create a wifi hotspot ...and as i see the person is using a desktop he might not have a wifi card...and even if u dn have wireless network connection 2 adapter you would notbe able to even create Wifi hotspot from a laptop ....and it does need service pack3 for windows 7

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

I Dont remember the original thread but here are the contents i got fromthat link a while ago...

@gilagamesh

Step 1: Connect your Android to PC by USB cable and enable "USB tethering". You are still allowed to enable this option even when your 3g/wifi on your Android is off.
- If you are using Linux (Ubuntu), you don't need to install anything. NetworkManager applet will try to establish a connection on the new detected wired network device.
- If you are using Windows, Windows will automatically search Windows Update and install driver for you. You can skip Windows Update search and install manually an already included driver from Microsoft. In Install Driver window, click Browse My Computer, then Let me pick..., select Network Adapters, uncheck Show Compatible Hardware, look at "Microsoft Corporation" at the left column, and choose Remote NDIS Compatible Device from the right column. You can install or update a driver from Device Manager in Windows.
- If you are using Mac, install driver HoRNDIS. You will be notified about a new network interface. Click "Network Preferences" in the dialog to add it to known interfaces list. Then "Apply".
- If you are using Linux without GUI or NetworkManager, run these commands as root (or use sudo):
Code:

ifconfig usb0 10.42.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

(suppose that you don't have any other USB network adapter, otherwise, your Android may be usb1, usb2...)
Code:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Command for sudo will be:
Code:

sudo 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'

Code:

iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

Step 2:
- If you are using Linux, click on NetworkManager applet at the top right of your screen, select "Edit Connections...". In tab "Wired", choose the new established connection (be careful, not Ethernet LAN connection) and click "Edit..." In tab "IPv4 Settings", choose "Shared to other computers" as Method. Click "Save". NetworkManager will reestablish the connection and assign to your PC an IP address on this USB network connection, default: 10.42.0.1. Leave Internet connections (wired or wireless) untouched.

- If you are using Windows, open "Network Connections" in Control Panel. It is somewhat different from setup in Linux. Right click on an Internet connection that you have. I assume that you are using a desktop which doesn't have any wifi adapter, so right click on LAN Ethernet connection with Internet, and select "Properties". In tab "Sharing" (or "Advanced" for Windows XP), click "Allow other network users to connect through...", then select the USB connection in dropdown list below. Click OK. Windows will automatically setup your USB network connection and assign to it an IP address, default for Windows 7: 192.168.137.1, default for Windows XP: 192.168.0.1. You can see your Internet connection is now "Shared" and your USB connection is now "Unidentified network".

- If you are using Mac, open System Preferences - Network. If you installed HoRNDIS, you will see a new network interface corresponding to your USB connection. With "Using DHCP" as Configure Ipv4, it may be already connected. Go back to System Preferences, click "Sharing". Select "Internet Sharing". Choose the Internet connection (Ethernet or Airport...) in "Share your connection from", and choose USB connection interface in "To computers using". Mac will assign to your USB connection interface an IP address, default: 192.168.2.1.
- If you are using Linux without GUI or NetworkManager, you have done all PC setup in step 1.

Your PC setup is now done!

Step 3:
Open Terminal Emulator on your Android. Type:
Code:

su

The command prompt must change from $ to #. If it does not, check to ensure that your device is rooted properly.
[UPDATED]Type the following command in Terminal Emulator, the same for all PC operating systems:
Code:

netcfg rndis0 dhcp

The name for usb interface inside Android may vary. It is usually rndis0 or usb0. Type
Code:

busybox ifconfig

to identify the name.
Use OLD instructions below when automatical dhcp method does not work.
[OLD]Type these following commands in Terminal Emulator:
For Linux PC:
Code:

ifconfig rndis0 10.42.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 10.42.0.1 dev rndis0

If route fails, try:
Code:

busybox route add default gw 10.42.0.1 dev rndis0

For Windows PC, use the same above commands, replace 10.42.0.2 by 192.168.137.2 (192.168.0.2 for Windows XP), replace 10.42.0.1 by 192.168.137.1 (192.168.0.1 for Windows XP)
For Mac PC, replace 10.42.0.2 by 192.168.2.2, replace 10.42.0.1 by 192.168.2.1
Now you can close Terminal Emulator and start the browser for Internet.

Some applications (download in Google Play, GMail, Facebook...) don't recognize Internet connection. You can try this way (WARNING: NOT TESTED):
- Enable temporarily 3G connection on your Android
- Type:
Code:

ifconfig rmnet0 0.0.0.0

The name for 3G interface inside Android may vary: ppp0, rmnet0... Type
Code:

busybox ifconfig

to identify the name.
before ifconfig rmnet0 ... above.
This will make applications see your Internet connection via USB as 3G!

And it works !!!

Last edited:

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)
Yes it is to create a hotspot. And i wrote already that i read it to late that he has no wifi available.

and even if u dn have wireless network connection 2 adapter you would notbe able to even create Wifi hotspot from a laptop

I do not understand what you mean. I created a wifi hotspot sucessfully on my netbook which was also connected via network cable.

prachetas13

May 3, 2012
Kolkata
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yes it is to create a hotspot. And i wrote already that i read it to late that he has no wifi available.

I do not understand what you mean. I created a wifi hotspot sucessfully on my netbook which was also connected via network cable.

Its like most of them dn have those adapters ...i have thinkpad L430 but nt able to share internet ...but on my dell laptop it was easier ...i havetried a lot but netsh wlan commands doesnot work ...not even by connectify ...in the other hand it works good on my other laptop ...:)
well not losing the oroginal topic ...i have provided a method of reverse tethering ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not at all
    There are some reverse tethering apps to get ur pc's internet just by USB cable but they need a rooted phone!
    Search on play store " reverse tethering"

If you don't wanna root....invest in a router...they are pretty cheap nowdays!

Sent from Samsung Chat

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NameForMyNetwork key=MySecurityKey

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

EDIT: