[Q] is it safe to delete everything on a 2nd hand phone - including system folders

Search This thread

temp4285

Mar 10, 2014
Hi - i bought a 2nd hand phone and in case there is any spyware on it, i want to delete everything on it, including all the system folders using clockwork mod. is this safe?

i am wondering, will the imei numbers be preserved ? (ie, are they actually written on a chip that is read only, or are they in the system folders too?) i am wondering this with a few model phones --- galaxy nexus (which i believe does get the imei reset), sony xperia t, nexus 4, etc

Kobro

Nov 21, 2013
Hi - i bought a 2nd hand phone and in case there is any spyware on it, i want to delete everything on it, including all the system folders using clockwork mod. is this safe?

i am wondering, will the imei numbers be preserved ? (ie, are they actually written on a chip that is read only, or are they in the system folders too?) i am wondering this with a few model phones --- galaxy nexus (which i believe does get the imei reset), sony xperia t, nexus 4, etc

just boot into recovery, and do format, wipe data, etc.

temp4285

Mar 10, 2014
Never Try to delete system folders on your phone you will surely get a brick and no one would be able to fix it....

Just Go to setting and find Factory Reset Option that would be the solution to your question...

Hit thanks if i helped......

yes, but surely someone can leave a virus or eavesdropping tool in the system folder ?

i plan to put a custom rom on after that anyway - so is it safe to remove the system folder ?

the only thing i can see that may cause problems is the IMEI number ?

Kobro

Nov 21, 2013
yes, but surely someone can leave a virus or eavesdropping tool in the system folder ?

i plan to put a custom rom on after that anyway - so is it safe to remove the system folder ?

the only thing i can see that may cause problems is the IMEI number ?

if you wipe with cwm it will erase everything that can be safely erased.