Thinking of replacing my Note with a windows tablet...

Search This thread

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
Probably stupid to even suggest this on the note forum, but thought I'd share my feelings of the Note anyway. I had the original Note and thought it was wonderful. It literally changed how I go to school. Once I used to have a twenty pound bag filled with books and notebooks, but now I have one device that I use for ebooks and note taking. It worked so well that once the new note was released, I upgraded. I'm now wishing I applied that money towards a Windows tablet. Don't get me wrong, the Note still rocks at what it does....most of the time. I do find that it can be rather finicky with certain things, but overall it takes notes well. Which is primarily what I use it for. (I have a GPad 8.3 for ebooks now) Once I get home I find that the Note sits in my bag and I pick up my Zenbook Prime for browsing and using full on desktop apps like spotify. I just don't use the note for anything but Note taking. Thats an expensive Notebook! Plus, I've heard tons of great things about Onenote and have seen youtube videos showcasing its awesomeness. And if I really really wanted lecture notes, couldn't I run it via bluestacks? Essentially getting a windows and android tablet in one? Of course everyones needs are different, and I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be a potential windows defector, but am seriously impressed by the slew of tablets pouring out of their camp. I am a die hard android fan ever since my OG Droid, but I just can't help but see the shortcomings of the android OS. I'll never go windows phone, but as far as tablets go.... I think Micro$oft is onto something....Plus Chrome for desktop rocks way more than the mobile version.
Please don't hate me

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'll never go windows phone, but as far as tablets go.... I think Micro$oft is onto something....

Windows and tablets are kind of an oxymoron. The fate of RT is unknown and with the inability to run legacy Windows apps it's pretty barren from a content perspective. The Modern touch UI is pretty much a failure with MS admitting it by bringing back the start button and allowing the desktop to boot to a standard Windows desktop. I use my N10.1-14 as a laptop supplement. I'll travel with it about half the time when I know I'm not going to be doing heavy duty MS Office editing and creation. If I am, I'll bring my 13" ultra book. Which, even though it's light, is twice as large and three times as heavy to carry when you add-in its accessories. Between RDP, Hancom Office, and a BT mouse/keyboard the N10.1-14 is a fantastic laptop supplement. But I can't imagine using it (or any Android tablet) as a true laptop replacement. For that matter, Windows Pro tablets don't really offer anything that more than an ultra book does so to choose between them I'd pick the latter. Android and iOS are the kings of consumption. Windows tablets (not the RT's) are the kings of productivity. You compromise productivity on Android/iOS and compromise consumption on Windows. So where someone is on the consumption/productivity spectrum and what they're willing to compromise determines which is the better choice for them.

When I'm traveling, especially overseas, consumption, battery life, and portability are important. Windows tablets are pretty poor in all three categories. My whole set-up fits in this bag. Carrying a Windows tablet and all its kit is the same as carrying a laptop.

14213584024_dc6a6f9249_n.jpg
13803022323_373f864113_n.jpg

To me, this is a non-starter...

11344833553_4d42ce2d1d.jpg

As for Lecture Notes<>OneNote<>S Note I used OneNote for years. It's far from optimized for handwriting. Since Samsung introduced S Note for Windows and introduced handwriting search in to S Finder I pretty much always use S Note unless I'm collaborating with folks on MS Office in which case I'll use OneNote. A lot of friends and associates have Samsung Note's though and we'll collaborate using S Note.

No two people here do the same things consumption and productivity wise nor have the same priorities. So it's all really just some interesting discussion.

Reactions: GldRush98

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
Windows and tablets are kind of an oxymoron. The fate of RT is unknown and with the inability to run legacy Windows apps it's pretty barren from a content perspective. The Modern touch UI is pretty much a failure with MS admitting it by bringing back the start button and allowing the desktop to boot to a standard Windows desktop. I use my N10.1-14 as a laptop supplement. I'll travel with it about half the time when I know I'm not going to be doing heavy duty MS Office editing and creation. If I am, I'll bring my 13" ultra book. Which, even though it's light, is twice as large and three times as heavy to carry when you add-in its accessories. Between RDP, Hancom Office, and a BT mouse/keyboard the N10.1-14 is a fantastic laptop supplement. But I can't imagine using it (or any Android tablet) as a true laptop replacement. For that matter, Windows Pro tablets don't really offer anything that more than an ultra book does so to choose between them I'd pick the latter. Android and iOS are the kings of consumption. Windows tablets (not the RT's) are the kings of productivity. You compromise productivity on Android/iOS and compromise consumption on Windows. So where someone is on the consumption/productivity spectrum and what they're willing to compromise determines which is the better choice for them.

When I'm traveling, especially overseas, consumption, battery life, and portability are important. Windows tablets are pretty poor in all three categories. My whole set-up fits in this bag. Carrying a Windows tablet and all its kit is the same as carrying a laptop.

As for Lecture Notes<>OneNote<>S Note I used OneNote for years. It's far from optimized for handwriting. Since Samsung introduced S Note for Windows and introduced handwriting search in to S Finder I pretty much always use S Note unless I'm collaborating with folks on MS Office in which case I'll use OneNote. A lot of friends and associates have Samsung Note's though and we'll collaborate using S Note.

No two people here do the same things consumption and productivity wise nor have the same priorities. So it's all really just some interesting discussion.

Quite a setup you have. Have you seen the newly announced surface pro 3? Looks pretty sick.

Zerogamer100

Nov 9, 2013
I'm actually in the same situation as you as I find I'm more productive on a Windows machine. I tried using my tablet but always felt I could've done more work had I had my laptop with me. I'm quite impress with the Surface Pro 3, and it looks like it may be a potential buy.

Reactions: migaspepino

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
I'm actually in the same situation as you as I find I'm more productive on a Windows machine. I tried using my tablet but always felt I could've done more work had I had my laptop with me. I'm quite impress with the Surface Pro 3, and it looks like it may be a potential buy.

Totally agree. I'd really like to know how lecture notes and other android apps run on bluestacks with a pen. With google drive and chrome apps available on windows, I'm really starting to question my need to have the Note. It kind of feels like a toy now. Plus, spotify, word, and other full on PC programs available, why use two devices when I can consolidate to one? The only thing about the Surface Pro 3 is the price. Woof, that bad boy is spendy...

graewulf1

Just remember that Microsoft tablets require a good antivirus to be installed since it's the same is as the desktop. Android doesn't have that problem. It is very possible to replace with does with android though. I replaced my Windows 8 laptop with the note and haven't looked back or over 4 months. I can do everything I Need to do on this, and I'm an IT person.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

urtruelove78

May 8, 2011
Looks like nobody used and heard about Asus T100ta.
It replaced my laptop, desktop and tablets(Ipad and nexus).

Why..How..
It does everything a laptop will do with full windows 8. I hardly use any apps. Browser is good enough for me. When I want bigger screen, I just widi into my TV. 60" is always better then 13" laptop screen. I can watch movies on one screen and work on other no problem.

Bought couple of USB hub with ethernet from amazon and used that to configure 3 hotels network using this little bad boy.
Battery is solid 8-9 hours watching videos or document editing, No thinking about what format should i convert it to like ipad. Stand by time is amazing.

You will think why am I here then?? For my 3 year. Her ipad1 backlight gone and T100 is not for kids :p.
I'm done with Apple and Like samsung thanks to xda developers as it is easier to work on and flexibility it's products provide.

Jnn1

Nov 10, 2010
The recently announced Surface pro 3 really ups the ante in terms of making Windows tablets attractive. I'd like to see more of the new pen, first, but no doubt that OneNote is well built and useful.

The problem in my view is still weight, battery life, portability. When I carry the note (or a tablet) around, it's so I don't have to carry a laptop. I can't do all I want on a note, but on the road, on the go, it does enough so I can avoid carrying a laptop. But a surface pro 3 is still near double the weight of a note, more with the type cover, and less battery life, and again heavier with a charger too.

Basically, Surface pro 3 is still first a laptop replacement (as the comparison with the MacBook air made), not a tablet/note replacement, for me. I am still looking for the ultimate note taking tablet that can also be my mobile ebook reader and web browser and the note still is the closest there is for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

WJThomas

Jan 20, 2012
Just remember that Microsoft tablets require a good antivirus to be installed since it's the same is as the desktop. Android doesn't have that problem. It is very possible to replace with does with android though. I replaced my Windows 8 laptop with the note and haven't looked back or over 4 months. I can do everything I Need to do on this, and I'm an IT person.

An IT person that thinks Android does not have any opportunity for malware? Must be on par with the IT folks where I work.

Back on topic, if Google continues to nerf Android (like the KK SD bug that must be there to make the Nexus more competitive with the alternatives with SD cards) the Windows alternatives will continue to look better and better.

BclingergFJ

Sep 28, 2008
I agree on the price and love the specs. I have the Note 10.1-14 in a Poetic Bluetooth keyboard case with a mouse pad and Bluetooth mouse. It does real will, though there are times a Windows laptop cannot be beat. Goodness, that thing is expensive.

Sent via my Note 8

graewulf1

An IT person that thinks Android does not have any opportunity for malware? Must be on par with the IT folks where I work.

Back on topic, if Google continues to nerf Android (like the KK SD bug that must be there to make the Nexus more competitive with the alternatives with SD cards) the Windows alternatives will continue to look better and better.

I said anti-virus, not anti-Malware. Two entirely different things. Microsoft has a proven track record of being open to viruses and malware installing themselves. On Windows either can install itself without user interaction. Since android is Linux based, both require the user to install them to get into the system. Installing apps from reliable sources almost ensures a virus and malware free android system. Infected websites and emails cannot infect android without the user's permission, the same is not true on Windows. This is why I said a good antivirus is required on Windows tablets. It's optional on android.

If you want to bash android, take it to a Windows forum. This is an android tablet forum.

WJThomas

Jan 20, 2012
I said anti-virus, not anti-Malware. Two entirely different things.

Splitting hairs a bit there. The industry commonly lumps all malware together and the combined anti-malware software is called antih-virus.

graewulf1;5u2842009 said:
If you want to bash android, tjake it to a Windows forum. This is an android tablet forum.

Who is bashing Android? I am a big Android fan. I am bashing Google for their anti-user and anti-competition polices. They are starting to turn into an Apple/Microsoft. The removal of the SD card write access is the beginning of the end. I just hope the community will be able to overcome Google and keep Android a viable alternative.

AmonX

May 11, 2014
I upgrade from an old windows tablet the hp 2730p elite notebook to the sm-p600. I had windows tablet was designed for windows xp but I had 7 installed with 3gb of ram 60gb hard drive and that this new android tablet was better in every way except for storage space which can easily be remedied with a memory card.

Productivity wise the note 10.1 I would say is better in my experience especially since I have a spare wacom pen from my windows tablet that has the eraser on the back end that works perfectly with the note 10.1. Coding is a bit more difficult but I usually just remote desktop to my main pc and run Visual Studios. I have an otg cable with a usb hub for a hardware mouse and keyboard but haven't found a way to have the right mouse button in android to work as one instead of the back key.

Media wise the note 10.1 is better than my old windows tablet little to no lag full hd support and all that and hdmi out beats svideo out.

Gaming wise this is where I would consider upgrading to a windows tablet. As old as my hp 2730p notebook was I could still play minecraft (min settings 15fps), World of Warcraft (min settings windowed mode only 10fps) but at least Terraria played at a decent framerate 25fps+. On the note you have android ports of Minecraft and Terraria with touch controls in mind and being incompatible with the pc version. I would love something like http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209247 for the sm-p600. I have toyed with LinuxOnAndroid and hoping they make progress with a native gui vs vnc. Hell I would even dual boot with windows if I could.

Don't get me wrong there are great android games out there and the humble mobile bundles help but it seems like the good ports or versions are still on the iphone/ipad and android users are left with inferior products. Chu Chu Rockets for example has 1-4 player multiplayer support through bluetooth wifi and gamecenter and on the ipad 4 players can share one screen. So far on the android port multiplayer consists of 1 human and 3 cpus.

I have a few unrelated Samsung gripes with the note and I am not sure what I would upgrade to in the future.

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Looks like nobody used and heard about Asus T100ta.
It replaced my laptop, desktop and tablets(Ipad and nexus).

Resurrecting an older thread, I know, but I just picked up an Asus Transformer T100ta new and factory sealed for $250 (from Amazon.com). It's running the full desktop version of Windows 8.1 (32-bit), 64GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, keyboard/mouse dock with a USB 3.0 port, HDMI out, micro SD slot (with no limitations on what can be stored/installed/accessed), charges with a standard micro USB phone charger, has the Intel Atom Z3775 processor, 11 hour battery life, and it includes Office 2013. My kids are playing Steam games on it, Minecraft, Halo 1 & 2, etc. These aren't just HD phone games like what's available for the iPad and Android tablets...these are the real deal. I'm also running a real photo editor and desktop versions of browsers, not to mention real Office.

And this device was released in October 2013 -- rapidly approaching 2 years ago. Meanwhile, our Note 10.1 2014 doesn't even have Lollipop yet. I can't even update my tablet with the recent incremental Kitkat update because it fails and says my tablet has been modified simply because it's rooted (with a completely stock ROM and stock recovery). Did I have to root it? No, of course not...but I had to root it if I wanted open access to the SD card after the KitKat update. Not to mention wanting to do the crazy thing of, y'know, backing up my apps and data (I know, it's a lot to ask, but....). I don't have to worry about rooting the Transformer tablet. And Windows 10 is already working on this device and is a free update.

I'm really a big fan of Android and have been since the early days, but it's gotten to the point where I feel it's only really good for use on phones. With being able to load the full desktop version of Windows 8.1 or even Windows 10 on a tablet the same size, I just don't really see the purpose for Android tablets anymore.

Windows 8.1 includes anti-virus through Windows Defender. That's all I'm running on two Windows 8.1 devices in my house, and on the three Windows 7 machines I"m running...ready? Nothing. You don't get viruses or malware if you know what you're doing, especially if you setup your network and workstations securely. I've been a network engineer for over 25 years, so I don't buy into all the virus/malware hype that non-techs do. No, you can't have that philosophy in the corporate environment, because there are too many unknowledgeable users that are the weak link, but you can definitely (and easily) do that with a home network, and especially a personal tablet.

Magnesus

Mar 7, 2011
Some small village
Windows 8.1 includes anti-virus through Windows Defender. That's all I'm running on two Windows 8.1 devices in my house, and on the three Windows 7 machines I"m running...ready? Nothing. You don't get viruses or malware if you know what you're doing, especially if you setup your network and workstations securely. I've been a network engineer for over 25 years, so I don't buy into all the virus/malware hype that non-techs do. No, you can't have that philosophy in the corporate environment, because there are too many unknowledgeable users that are the weak link, but you can definitely (and easily) do that with a home network, and especially a personal tablet.

I concur. As long as you 1) know what you are doing (not running random downloaded exe files), 2) keep system updated, 3) connect to internet that is behind NAT (meaning you always connect via WiFi or router) you should be fine. I use Ubuntu mostly but all my Windows installations have been running nothing beside the default Windows Defenders for years without any issue. In the times of Windows XP it was much more risky though.

Reactions: internetpilot

rap6388

Feb 13, 2012
not looking back

I retired my note 10.1 2014 for a surface pro 3 and will never look back. Superior quality and functionality.(and im a huge samsung fan) just could not take all the manufacturing flaws anymore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I said anti-virus, not anti-Malware. Two entirely different things. Microsoft has a proven track record of being open to viruses and malware installing themselves. On Windows either can install itself without user interaction. Since android is Linux based, both require the user to install them to get into the system. Installing apps from reliable sources almost ensures a virus and malware free android system. Infected websites and emails cannot infect android without the user's permission, the same is not true on Windows. This is why I said a good antivirus is required on Windows tablets. It's optional on android.

If you want to bash android, take it to a Windows forum. This is an android tablet forum.

Probably stupid to even suggest this on the note forum, but thought I'd share my feelings of the Note anyway. I had the original Note and thought it was wonderful. It literally changed how I go to school. Once I used to have a twenty pound bag filled with books and notebooks, but now I have one device that I use for ebooks and note taking. It worked so well that once the new note was released, I upgraded. I'm now wishing I applied that money towards a Windows tablet. Don't get me wrong, the Note still rocks at what it does....most of the time. I do find that it can be rather finicky with certain things, but overall it takes notes well. Which is primarily what I use it for. (I have a GPad 8.3 for ebooks now) Once I get home I find that the Note sits in my bag and I pick up my Zenbook Prime for browsing and using full on desktop apps like spotify. I just don't use the note for anything but Note taking. Thats an expensive Notebook! Plus, I've heard tons of great things about Onenote and have seen youtube videos showcasing its awesomeness. And if I really really wanted lecture notes, couldn't I run it via bluestacks? Essentially getting a windows and android tablet in one? Of course everyones needs are different, and I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be a potential windows defector, but am seriously impressed by the slew of tablets pouring out of their camp. I am a die hard android fan ever since my OG Droid, but I just can't help but see the shortcomings of the android OS. I'll never go windows phone, but as far as tablets go.... I think Micro$oft is onto something....Plus Chrome for desktop rocks way more than the mobile version.
    Please don't hate me
    I'll never go windows phone, but as far as tablets go.... I think Micro$oft is onto something....

I concur. As long as you 1) know what you are doing (not running random downloaded exe files), 2) keep system updated, 3) connect to internet that is behind NAT (meaning you always connect via WiFi or router) you should be fine. I use Ubuntu mostly but all my Windows installations have been running nothing beside the default Windows Defenders for years without any issue. In the times of Windows XP it was much more risky though.