[Tutorial]Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM

Search This thread

Zolor23

Jun 4, 2012
Boston
having problems with flashing the recovery from bootloader. i run the "fastboot flash recovery...." command and i get errors saying "unknown partition" and "cannot determine image filename".

any help with this would help

My problem with that was just because I didn't run the right command. Are you sure you put the RECOVERY into the command? I ran "fastboot flash recovery.img" but it has to be "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

petersm

Aug 7, 2008
Hi guys, I have a n00b question. I'm new to android rooting, have always had a HD2 with android (CWM + HSPL) which worked fine.

I rooted my brand new One S sucesfully last week, following the steps in the OP. I still have stock rom, just wanted to have a rooted device. Therefore I unlocked the bootloader. But now I seem to be unable to download OTA. I used the search button and I found that I had to return to stock in order to install OTA. But I’m not quite confident what to do:

Do I only have to relock the bootloader? Or do I also have to unroot the device? How do I do that? I'd rather not loose my apps, messages etc. Is there a way to unroot/relock, install OTA and then unlock/root again, without having to install apps etc. again?

If somebody could explain the steps (If possible in detail because I’m new to android modding) then I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

P.S: I am living in Holland and my Carrier is Vodafone.

G

GuestX0019

Since you are already rooted, flash a custom recovery like cwm or twrp and do a nandroid backup. Then relock and install stock recovery--there are threads on this, I have not done it. Rooted first day I got phone and started running custom roms. No need to unroot, OTA may do that anyway--that's how I remember reading it.

There are exact steps back thru this thread--this is just the basics I remember reading about

Then you can unlock, root, flash custom recovery and restore your nandroid.

I will say some have had trouble re-unlocking. So, I would flash cwm recovery and one of the custom roms for EU that has the update and some additional features.

No matter what you do, I would flash cwm at minimum, nandroid and copy nandroid/sdcard to pc

4305ms

Aug 20, 2010
Gothenburg
Working with Mac? Would be nice if it were mentioned in topic.. what os'es is supported with this tut.
Thx!

Skickat från min HTC One S via Tapatalk 2

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
Hey I am having some problems with booting into recovery. The flash says it is ok, and I can go into Andorid no problems. But when I star recovery from bootloader, I get onl HTC logo and this in red “This build is for development purposes only Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC’s written permission. Failure to comply may lead to legal action”. What can I do?

G

GuestX0019

that's been mentioned a bunch--it is normal--proceed to recovery

invasion2

Oct 3, 2011
Space, the ONLY Frontier
I'm having problems getting my identifier token. I do the command "fastboot oem get_identifier_token", and it says < waiting for device >. Nothing at all. What am I doing wrong?

Fixed - you need to install the HTC Drivers.

Last edited:
G

GuestX0019

I am sorry but I can't seem to find any helpful answer, the manual adb reboot recovery, gets me the same result... Please give me a hint.

I think most these issues are incorrect initial setup or wrong commands

Go back and make sure you are unlocked and have all drivers installed and can type adb devices and fastboot devices and get the phone recognized in the command window

then reflash the recovery, cwm latest version, correct command line

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
The phone was recognized, and everything was successful but I think that it is the problem that I have S3 version of the phone, and this recover is for S4, is this correct? Where can I get the correct recovery, if even exists? Or how to root my phone?

baddevil2

Oct 26, 2009
Alheim
Works this Tutorial with every One S with S4 processor? Because i will get an one s in a few days from Vodafone, so it will have a Vodafone Branding.

Thank you ;)

vestasan

Mar 28, 2010
Help!!!

I keep getting the same mistake...

c:\android-sdk\tools>fastboot flash boot boot.img
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Please help!
I follow all the steps, unlock, root, install rom, but on this step i'm stuck
Please help!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a quick step by step tutorial to get a Custom ROM working on your One S.

Step 1: Unlock

• Go on http://www.htcdev.com and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
    • Download These Fastboot Files
    • Make a new folder on your C:/ drive called fastboot.
    • Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
    • Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
    • Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
    • Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
    • Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 10 seconds
    • Power your phone on by holding power and volume down
    • Highlight Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power
    • Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    • (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    • (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
    • Change directory to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
    • Type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    • Select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
    • Paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
    • You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
    • Download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
    • Type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    • The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Thanks to bagofcrap24 for this part!

Step 2: Recovery

Step 3: Root

Make sure you are on the stock kernel!

• Now root your phone with SuperSU by Chainfire, thanks a lot!
    • Download SuperSU from the end of the thread
    • Flash it with the Recovery:
    • Power off your device and then hold the VOL DOWN + Power to boot into the Bootloader
    • Navigate with VOL and Power to Recovery
    • Now flash the .zip:

- install zip from sdcard
      - choose zip from sdcard
      - select the CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip file and flash it
      - Reboot now

Now you are able to flash any Custom ROM.

Credits:

Paul for the Recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1579584
    Chainfire for SuperSU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Video-Tutorial by Flow-Wolf (thanks buddy):

Bootloader Unlock:

Recovery Installation:

Root:

Custom ROM Installation:

If this helped you, make sure to thank me and to donate to Paul, Chainfire, koush or/and Flow Wolf!
    The HTC method is good as well :)

Android without root is nothing..
    what exactly are you typing at command prompt

you need to have usb debugging checked on phone
    you need the recovery image in same folder as your fastboot.exe/adb files
    you need to cd to that directory/folder
    you need the recovery image in that same folder
    you need to be booted into bootloader with fastboot highlighted
    and phone plugged into pc

you have to type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

where recovery.img is the exact name of the recovery image image you put in the folder where fastboot/adb is--usually tools or platform tools of your sdk

you can check the exact name by right clicking the recovery image in the folder and going to properties. I usually just copy and paste that into the command line

i solved it! i was missing the command fastboot flash "recovery" keyword before the recovery name! :D im dumb! lol thanks though
    hm.. first time unlocking, rooting etc using a mac and well, it could be going smoother.
    Anyways.

Ive unlocked the bootloader but when i try to flash the cwm recovery I'm getting the message;

unknown partition 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img'
    error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img'

What am i doing wrong? The file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe and I've tried renaming it to a shorter filename (thinking I were typing it wrong).
    Ive tried both versions of cwm with the same result.

Im using this command;
    ./fastboot flash XXXXXXX.img

Should be
    Code:
    fastboot flash [B]recovery[/B] recovery.img

looks like you forgot the recovery bit
    But don't be afraid of htcdev, you don't loose the whole warranty

HTC One X with tapatalk 2