Paying retail price

Search This thread

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013
I tried to get the 649 retail at best buy but got denied because the Corporate store doesn't allow you to buy full price on Launch Days?

I had to pay the 750 best buy price. Can anyone else confirm this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
I tried to get the 649 retail at best buy but got denied because the Corporate store doesn't allow you to buy full price on Launch Days?

Why did u pay that much for a locked down carrier device good lord.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sabre31

co.ag.2005

Apr 26, 2010
Fort Worth
Google Pixel 5
I'm thinking about getting the s5 also because I've been missing my s4. Does anyone think the at&t Next program is good? And is anyone else on the Next upgrade plan?

Sent from my XT1058 using xda premium

I did mine on the next plan... all it is is a monthly payment plan to pay the full retail price of the phone, $650... so it's $32.50/month for the plan that lets you upgrade every year ($32.50/month x 18 months = $650). when you want to upgrade in a year (or 18 months and the phone would be paid in full), you either trade the phone in for the next one or just pay off the remaining balance ($260) and then sell the old one online and get the new phone on the NEXT plan

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013
I don't know much as the next program. I don't like it from what I've read

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

hovax615@hotmail.com

Jan 4, 2009
Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
I did mine on the next plan... all it is is a monthly payment plan to pay the full retail price of the phone, $650... so it's $32.50/month for the plan that lets you upgrade every year ($32.50/month x 18 months = $650). when you want to upgrade in a year (or 18 months and the phone would be paid in full), you either trade the phone in for the next one or just pay off the remaining balance ($260) and then sell the old one online and get the new phone on the NEXT plan

What is your bill if you don't mind me asking. Mine is $79 plus the 32 would be like $113-114. I think I might wait till it gets a little older and the next price would be a little cheaper than I'll get one.

co.ag.2005

Apr 26, 2010
Fort Worth
Google Pixel 5
What is your bill if you don't mind me asking. Mine is $79 plus the 32 would be like $113-114. I think I might wait till it gets a little older and the next price would be a little cheaper than I'll get one.

well, I haven't received a bill yet that has the NEXT upgrade on it... so, my bill is $125 now, will be ~$158.00 with my SGS 5 on it.

$100 -> 10GB data bucket (shared between my wife and I)
$15 -> wife's line cost (for service)
$15 -> my line cost (for service)
$32.50 -> SGS 5
23% off national account discount
taxes

=$158 ish with the NEXT plan added

if you have a 10GB or higher mobile share plan, your lines are just $15/each if you are 1) financing a phone through NEXT; OR 2)pay for the phone upfront

Xandlinger

Feb 10, 2010
I don't know much as the next program. I don't like it from what I've read

If you're on the newer Mobile Share plans (especially 10GB+) it will save you money over a new two year contract. You do see a little bit of a higher monthly bill, but you save quite a bit over time. Make sure to get AT&T Insurance or Squaretrade, though. And the 20 month Next is better than the 26 month Next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com
If your going to spend $600+ you better invest that into a international version that supports AT&T LTE bands. You won't benefit anything from the AT&T version far as root, roms, etc since our bootloader is "locked"

Also AT&T Next is great if your into staying up to date with the latest devices like most of us here. Like the users said above but with more detail you can choose to lease/finance the device for either 12 months or 18 months. You pay $0 deposit down and depending on the terms of the lease/finance you can either pay $22 or $32 a month.

Your plan and everything decides on how much data you need. i have the 20GB plan with 6 lines. my bill is around $200-$250 a month. 3 of those lines are on the Next program

Last edited:

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013
That's new to me. Wasn't sure the international version could support ATT

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
The "Next" plan is a ripoff unless you're the type who is scared to sell a phone on Craigslist. An absolute ripoff.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

exactly what i have, i coupled my $25 phone payment plan (18 month instead of your 12 month) with the new 2GB data value plan

yoonus

Jun 18, 2013
Morrisville
What if you get it on contract. Its $199 down payment and $320 as ETF.
Total $520.

Is there any catch? You can cancel the contract after 1 month, pay the ETF and keep the phone??

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
exactly what i have, i coupled my $25 phone payment plan (18 month instead of your 12 month) with the new 2GB data value plan
Yup, that's the same thing I did. My contract would have ended this September, but my previous phone (iPhone 5) was one drop away from being completely broken. Because of that, I said screw it, bit the bullet and did the early upgrade to the 18 month Next plan with the 2GB mobile share plan. I would have much rather the traditional 2-year contract plan, but oh well...no way my phone would have survived another 6 or so months.

What if you get it on contract. Its $199 down payment and $320 as ETF.
Total $520.

Is there any catch? You can cancel the contract after 1 month, pay the ETF and keep the phone??

Yeah, the phone is yours if you choose to go down that path. Personally, I try my best to avoid the ETF, simply out of principle.

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
If i was gonna pay full retail I'd have gotten the Tmo S5 which apparently has an Unlocked BL, it is compatible with ATT LTE. Which is why I asked why the OP paid so much for the ATT version which is locked down as tight as fort knox...Still hoping a root exploit is found for ATT at the very least, if not not a big deal to me as its going to my GF who has no use for custom rom/kernels.

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013
If i was gonna pay full retail I'd have gotten the Tmo S5 which apparently has an Unlocked BL, it is compatible with ATT LTE. Which is why I asked why the OP paid so much for the ATT version which is locked down as tight as fort knox...Still hoping a root exploit is found for ATT at the very least, if not not a big deal to me as its going to my GF who has no use for custom rom/kernels.

Still have the option to take it back. How would I get an AT&T sim?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why did u pay that much for a locked down carrier device good lord.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    This is SO SO SO true! Basically with next you are still paying around $650 in 2 years for a new phone BUT you don't get to keep it.

Instead:

Buy a phone on contract for $199

Sell on craigslist 12 months later for around $300

Pay $650 for a new phone.

2 year total cost for a phone every 12 months: $550 BUT you also have a new $650 phone.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

You will still pay the first months fee. And don't forget the $40 activation fee.

dude, if you pay the phone in full with NEXT, you keep the phone. the only way you don't keep it is if you Choose not to keep it... when your are eligible for an upgrade in a year, and you still have a balance on your phone, just pay it in full, keep the phone (sell on craigslist) and then get the new one.

NEXT now is the same as buying full price, you just spread the payments out over 18 or 24 months.. no different (the NEXT plan when first introduced was a bit of a rip off but it's changed since they give you a credit on service when you have NEXT and only make you pay the $650 phone price with NEXT)