[Q]Unsupported File Types (mainly .flac)

Search This thread

uncled1023

Mar 2, 2009
www.teknik.io
I was wondering, is there any type of hack or midification where we would be able to add codecs to the phone in order to play .flac files? I have a lot of my music in that format, and would love to play it. I believe that the first hurdle would be to get the zune player to recognize it, so is there any way to do that as well?

Just a thought. Thanks.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Getting Zune to recognize it is not hard; it's a registry edit under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKCR) much like it is on Windows. You can look at how WMA and MP3 are handled.

Adding the codec itself... interesting idea. On desktop Windows, codecs are DLLs (they may have other extensions, but that's what they are internally) that take a compressed stream in one function and return an uncompressed stream. It's relatively easy to add more codec support into the OS; create new DLLs to do the decoding, and register them.

The creation of the codecs is possible. I don't know if managed code would work, so you'd probably need to use the native WinCE dev tools. If there's already a FLAC decoder for older versions of WinMo on AR, it may work unmodified. Registering it, though... no idea how to do that. There may be an API for it, though.

professorwol

Feb 27, 2011
Getting Zune to recognize it is not hard; it's a registry edit under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKCR) much like it is on Windows. You can look at how WMA and MP3 are handled.

Adding the codec itself... interesting idea. On desktop Windows, codecs are DLLs (they may have other extensions, but that's what they are internally) that take a compressed stream in one function and return an uncompressed stream. It's relatively easy to add more codec support into the OS; create new DLLs to do the decoding, and register them.

The creation of the codecs is possible. I don't know if managed code would work, so you'd probably need to use the native WinCE dev tools. If there's already a FLAC decoder for older versions of WinMo on AR, it may work unmodified. Registering it, though... no idea how to do that. There may be an API for it, though.

Do it!! that would be the coolest thing if we could enable Flac support :X