[Q] skipping step on nook hd

Search This thread

growlley

Dec 22, 2012
Hi, sorry if this in the wrong location, I'm new to android and just learning my way around here. Id like to root my hook hd but the first time I powered it on it automatically updated to 2.0.5.

Ive read the rooting threads and the 8 reset trick to force a complete wipe and factory reset, but how to i pass the the wifi setup screens etc (oobe?) as it will just accept the pushed upgrade again.

***edit** after finding the right search terms for google I finally found the instructions here with pictures for anyone else wishing to know how to do this
techunsupport . wordpress. com

quick summary factory reboot power + N, N, N on welcome screen do either of the following

vol up + touch bottom right of screen factory screen button appears

vol down + touch bottom left of screen enable adp button appears

on factory screen vol up + touch bottom right of screen skip OOBE button appears

thanks

Last edited:

growlley

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks I had read that thread but I dont have a microsd reader for the pc. Unless I missunderstood and you dont need a card for the rooting part only CM10 install?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks I had read that thread but I dont have a microsd reader for the pc. Unless I missunderstood and you dont need a card for the rooting part only CM10 install?

You do need a card and a card reader. But external card readers are cheap.. some cards even come with them.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

growlley

Dec 22, 2012
root

ok I have adb working correctly to side load stuff but I have been trying to follow the instructions in the thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1981617&page=1 to gain root.

The process is failing in clrbootcount.sh as the line that should call the hook process is comented out and I cant just copy a file over the top as it says read only file system is there any way round this?

cheers

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
ok I have adb working correctly to side load stuff but I have been trying to follow the instructions in the thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1981617&page=1 to gain root.

The process is failing in clrbootcount.sh as the line that should call the hook process is comented out and I cant just copy a file over the top as it says read only file system is there any way round this?

cheers

That is how B&N broke root on 2.0.5. The only way to get root on 2.0.5 is to use my CWM method in my HD CWM thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

growlley

Dec 22, 2012
thanks for the reply, I thought it might be so i ordered a card reader. Now haver to wait for the postie.

growlley

Dec 22, 2012
BAH

thanks for the reply, I thought it might be so i ordered a card reader. Now haver to wait for the postie.

Just my typical luck with gadgets , card and reader arrived today nook will see card , pc dectects reader but says no media no matter what you do so cant copy flash image to it I hate f*****g pc's

growlley

Dec 22, 2012
help

ok I followed the clockwork mod and created a card , backed up the image and then installed the universal root and the gApps + others zip using the instructions.

The deive rebooted successfully but I am having a problem with google play, it wont let me authenticate I try and add a google account and get a white dialog box saying unfortunately, setting has stopped. This happens for both existing and new options.

Iwanted to add home 2. I had play s working before via siding loading unfortunately the pc that had adb on it went to microprocessor heaven. Any ideas?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
ok I followed the clockwork mod and created a card , backed up the image and then installed the universal root and the gApps + others zip using the instructions.

The deive rebooted successfully but I am having a problem with google play, it wont let me authenticate I try and add a google account and get a white dialog box saying unfortunately, setting has stopped. This happens for both existing and new options.

Iwanted to add home 2. I had play s working before via siding loading unfortunately the pc that had adb on it went to microprocessor heaven. Any ideas?

Did you add voice search? That causes settings to crash. See my instructions under voice search in my rooting thread.

Wait, you said you side loaded Play Store before? That is the problem. You need to wipe everything and start over. Do an erase and deregister. Or go to CWM and do a wipe data/factory reset.

Sent with XDA Premium from my Nook HD+ running CM10 on SD

Last edited: