[Q] Help me make a decision - Advice on whether to go with Substitutes/Alternatives

Search This thread

tommedema

Nov 6, 2010
Some of you may have noticed that I am quite active in the general Infinity thread. This is because I had decided to get one, naively assuming that the cheaper 32GB version will be purchasable in The Netherlands before I move to Asia (Indonesia) for 6 months (this happens in August).

I'm struggling in deciding on whether to get the more expensive 64GB version, or go with alternatives or substitutes. Let me describe my situation.

• My budget for a tablet was 500, but I increased it to 600 for the Infinity
  • I was going to add 64GB of space with a MicroSD card class 10 which costs 55 euros
  • It seems like I can only get the 64GB version before I leave, which is above my extended budget
  • I want a tablet for 1) browsing the web in a relaxed environment, eg. on couch or at the swimming pool 2) watching high quality movies 3) doing some work like writing a small essay

What do you think I should do? Go for an alternative or substitute, e.g. a netbook? Or do you think that no netbook can fulfill my expectations as described above?

One example of a use case is that I will have a 16 hours flight. I would love to have a tablet with a long battery lifetime to watch movies during this flight.

Finally, do you think the Infinity is even capable of being used outside (in the shadows) with IPS+ on? I've heard that the reflection is higher than with other tablets.

ajamils

Sep 10, 2010
Houston, TX
What are the alternatives to TF700? Other than Acer A700, I don't think that there is any and due to all the issue (and lack of improvement from A510) with Acer I wouldn't consider it.

The best alternative to TF700 would have been the Lenovo Ideapad K2 (K2010) but from the looks of it, it's most likely cancelled. I even contacted Lenovo asking about the release date and following is the reply that I received
"We regret to inform you that we do not have any information as to when the K2 Tablet would be released and the price. We request you to check on the website of Lenovo for more information. "

So with that said, TF700 seem to be all alone in the market right now with no substitutes.

denniegst

Apr 2, 2008
from you criteria, probably a net book. besides the 'web browsing' i don't really see any other use for a touch screen for you.
but if you really want a touch screen, then probably the 300, i doubt you will see that big of a difference when watching quality rip movies.

tommedema

Nov 6, 2010
from you criteria, probably a net book. besides the 'web browsing' i don't really see any other use for a touch screen for you.
but if you really want a touch screen, then probably the 300, i doubt you will see that big of a difference when watching quality rip movies.

Thanks, the thing about the Infinity is that it has 600 nits while the 300 only has 300. This is important to me since I want to use the tablet outside.

Also, isn't web browsing the main reason to get a tablet? Seems like a good enough reason to get touch screen.

Anyway, I think I've settled on the conclusion that there isn't really an alternative for me. I think I will just calm down and not buy anything until there is something that suits me for a better price.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Some of you may have noticed that I am quite active in the general Infinity thread. This is because I had decided to get one, naively assuming that the cheaper 32GB version will be purchasable in The Netherlands before I move to Asia (Indonesia) for 6 months (this happens in August).

I'm struggling in deciding on whether to get the more expensive 64GB version, or go with alternatives or substitutes. Let me describe my situation.

• I was going to add 64GB of space with a MicroSD card class 10 which costs 55 euros
  • It seems like I can only get the 64GB version before I leave, which is above my extended budget
  • I want a tablet for 1) browsing the web in a relaxed environment, eg. on couch or at the swimming pool 2) watching high quality movies 3) doing some work like writing a small essay

What do you think I should do? Go for an alternative or substitute, e.g. a netbook? Or do you think that no netbook can fulfill my expectations as described above?

One example of a use case is that I will have a 16 hours flight. I would love to have a tablet with a long battery lifetime to watch movies during this flight.

Finally, do you think the Infinity is even capable of being used outside (in the shadows) with IPS+ on? I've heard that the reflection is higher than with other tablets.

The reflection isn't too bad, and I live in the Netherlands, too. Standing in my backyard, the screen is pretty much legible even on the lower screen brightness settings. That being said, I don't have a clue if sun power in Indonesia would necessitate higher brightness settings on the TF700.

Budget constraints would be the main issue here, I think, because a powerful netbook would set you back a signficant amount of euros as well. Also, I do not know if Asus would make a change of habit and start to supply the shops here in Holland with any significant amount of units. (I took the motorcycle for a ride yesterday from Hoorn to Breda to get mine -- 400 km for a tablet. In Holland, that means you're set for psychiatrical intervention. Hahaha!)

I wish you good luck deciding. I don't know where you're based, but you can drop me a line if you want to see it in action (live in Hoorn, work in Utrecht; Amsterdam as a stopover by train)....

Reactions: tommedema

tommedema

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks Marty, I'm afraid I live high up in the north of the NL though :(

Anyway, we'll see how things go. ASUS Benelux did mention that they are releasing the 32GB version in September, but that seems so late it may be worth waiting for an earlier release. Not sure if that sounds likely but it's better than nothing.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
I could give the motorcycle another whirl. Or another option would be to go to the store (BCC, MediaMarkt and the like) to give the Prime a long and hard look, since they seem to have about the same screen brightness, at least on first sight...

Last edited:
Reactions: tommedema

ray3andrei

Feb 28, 2012
Of YouTube want a netbook itll be laggy ,
Because in that price range you don't have good laptops especially netbooks, buy the infinity pal

Sent from my Jelly Beaned GNexus

tommedema

Nov 6, 2010
I could give the motorcycle another whirl. Or another option would be to go to the store (BCC, MediaMarkt and the like) to give the Prime a long and hard look, since they seem to have about the same screen brightness, at least on first sight...

You surprise me with your extraordinary willingness to help me, heh. Thanks a lot. :)

I did go to the shop to see the Prime, but it wasn't very helpful as they obviously didn't allow me to take it outside ;)

Today was a sunny day. Did you happen to use the Infinity outside? What was it like with IPS+ on?

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
You surprise me with your extraordinary willingness to help me, heh. Thanks a lot. :)

I did go to the shop to see the Prime, but it wasn't very helpful as they obviously didn't allow me to take it outside ;)

Today was a sunny day. Did you happen to use the Infinity outside? What was it like with IPS+ on?

Hehehe, no problem, we're all in here to help. Well, not all, maybe, but you get the idea... :cool:

I had to commute to work today, so that means sitting in the fast service (InterCity) between Hoorn and Utrecht, which is a ride of about one-and-a-half hours or so. I had a lot of incoming light through the windows -- I definitely understand what they mean by the "mirror screen" argument, but it didn't actually reach levels that irritated me. I'm happy with the Infinity. That being said, I do see a potential problem: I could change the orientation a bit to change the reflection and viewing angle somewhat, whereas sitting poolside, this would hardly be an option due to the fact you wouldn't sit near shade, and you would want to bake evenly, right?:cool:

tommedema

Nov 6, 2010
Hehehe, no problem, we're all in here to help. Well, not all, maybe, but you get the idea... :cool:

I had to commute to work today, so that means sitting in the fast service (InterCity) between Hoorn and Utrecht, which is a ride of about one-and-a-half hours or so. I had a lot of incoming light through the windows -- I definitely understand what they mean by the "mirror screen" argument, but it didn't actually reach levels that irritated me. I'm happy with the Infinity. That being said, I do see a potential problem: I could change the orientation a bit to change the reflection and viewing angle somewhat, whereas sitting poolside, this would hardly be an option due to the fact you wouldn't sit near shade, and you would want to bake evenly, right?:cool:

You're right. Then again there is no other option for me that offers less reflection, is there?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The reflection isn't too bad, and I live in the Netherlands, too. Standing in my backyard, the screen is pretty much legible even on the lower screen brightness settings. That being said, I don't have a clue if sun power in Indonesia would necessitate higher brightness settings on the TF700.

Budget constraints would be the main issue here, I think, because a powerful netbook would set you back a signficant amount of euros as well. Also, I do not know if Asus would make a change of habit and start to supply the shops here in Holland with any significant amount of units. (I took the motorcycle for a ride yesterday from Hoorn to Breda to get mine -- 400 km for a tablet. In Holland, that means you're set for psychiatrical intervention. Hahaha!)

I wish you good luck deciding. I don't know where you're based, but you can drop me a line if you want to see it in action (live in Hoorn, work in Utrecht; Amsterdam as a stopover by train)....