[APP] Official BBC Olympics App - Updated to 1.1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aaronwe

Aug 25, 2010
Awesomesauce. The really strange thing is that while the Play Store won't even let you install the app if you're in the US, the app itself appears to be geographically aware -- I see a front page section called "Team USA". I can't imagine that's hard coded.

Reactions: drcrazy91

6mill

Jan 15, 2011
works on stock jelly bean

Thanks for this. I tried Market Enabler and had the message it wasn't compatible with my device (GNex Jelly Bean). This apk installed fine and I can open the app and watch videos. No live streams yet, so see what happens then.

Reactions: drcrazy91

FlyinHi

Oct 20, 2010
Yea, it obviously knows where I am, but who cares, the NBC official app is horrible...

Sent from my White Hot Galaxy S3 on AT&T

eibbed0001

Mar 9, 2011
Northern Virginia
Last edited:

charliebigpot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for this. I tried Market Enabler and had the message it wasn't compatible with my device (GNex Jelly Bean). This apk installed fine and I can open the app and watch videos. No live streams yet, so see what happens then.

Yeah, it was kinda strange for me too. On the market (via Chrome) it said that my device isn't compatible, when I scanned a QR code it said that I can't download it outside the UK, but Market Enabler did the trick.
It's such a good app! :)

charliebigpot

Apr 27, 2010

2007hch

Jul 8, 2010
Hi,

Thanks a million for this app. Are you able to play videos? I get the following message "video playback is not supported on this device"

My GN is running android 4.1.1 (jelly bean)

Last edited:

gaspodex

Feb 7, 2007
Aylesbury
www.gaspode.net
Anyone got the app to play movies on jelly bean ? I have manually installed teh flash apk but get the little plugin icon when i try to play movies

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Anyone got the app to play movies on jelly bean ? I have manually installed teh flash apk but get the little plugin icon when i try to play movies

Sigh - I guess I should have remembered to reboot ;)

FaberfoX

Mar 30, 2010
I see there's an updated app (1.1.0) in the app store . Would someone from the UK please post the updated apk?

nexusboy01

Jul 14, 2012
I can play some videos live which go to full screen but the video stops and replays again , does anyone have a fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread closed as this app is only for the UK who have payed for a BBC TV license....

Anyone in the UK watching or recording television as it's being broadcast or simulcast on any device - including mobiles, laptops and PCs - must, by law, be covered by a valid TV licence.

And...

What will happen if I don't have a TV licence?

It is a criminal offence to watch 'live' television without a TV licence or to possess or control a device which you know or reasonably believe will be used to watch 'live' TV without a TV licence. You could be prosecuted and fined up to £1000 (plus be ordered to pay legal costs) for these offences.

Link for UK users.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.bbc.sos2012uk
    No smart comments from my side, I fully understand your point of view and I just deleted all the information about how to stream, should be ok, innit?

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app
    This really ****s me off

I've just seen this posted on the portal and although it does have some valid uses (see miui guy) it's piracy and is going to be abused. Now, I do hear the cries of "M3PH, beloved recognised developer, friend, buddy o' mine, how is this piracy? the app, it be free!" well actually, it's not free. Here's why.

In the UK every household has to pay, by law, something called a TV license. The TV license is then given to the BBC by the government so the BBC can continue to provide an advertless service over 7 (or was it 8) TV and channels and somewhere in the region of 20-30 radio channels. Now some of this money, in the modern age, is also used to provide free online and mobile services (things like the website and iPlayer) one of those things is the free Olympics app.

Now the rate you have to pay depends on if you have a colour tv or not and if your a buisness or a private household but most families will have to pay £145 this year and if you fail to pay it you go to prison for 6 months (this is a harsher penality then any pirate gets).

So I really do very much resent non british nationals being able to use this process to get around the geolocking of the app/play store because I paid to have the privilege and you lot didn't. Moreover if i wanted to use the app this way and not pay my TV license i get to be the prison ***** for 6 months and you americans, swedes or whatever can get away with it with no fear of an ass raping.

OP, please consider editing the first post so that is doesn't actually include complete instructions. I will be discussing this with the forum moderators as the original post is promotion of piracy and is a breach of the XDA Terms of service
    Dude... exactly what I need. You are awesome.