CRT Anim + Desktop UA String + SIP + SMS + Langs (Updated 5/12)

Search This thread

takato23

Sep 18, 2010
hey, i have a 32gb wifi xoom.. i used this commands

adb remount
adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework
adb rebootp

to install this : framework-res-uastring-USWIFI-3_1.apk .

But i didn't notice anything different at all.. no crt animation, phone, nothing..

alex2792

Jun 6, 2010
You have to rename it to framework-res and replace the original file.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
If you're getting FC on everything after rebooting you installed the wrong file for your model.

Also:
to install this : framework-res-uastring-USWIFI-3_1.apk .

But i didn't notice anything different at all.. no crt animation, phone, nothing..

None of those features are included in that file.

GulMiguel

Oct 2, 2008
Cusseta, AL
If you're getting FC on everything after rebooting you installed the wrong file for your model.

Also:

None of those features are included in that file.

I used the correct file, but I got multiple force closes as well. When I tried to ultimately reboot, the system stayed in virtual honeycomb startup mode forever. Unable to get the unit to fully boot now. I'm afraid that I may be stuck trying to SBF my way out of this; which sucks because that hasn't been working lately. If there is any wisdom that anyone can share at this point, I'm all ears. As it is, I will never try this apk thing again. I had my XOOM just the way I wanted it and I got greedy, just my luck.

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
I used the correct file, but I got multiple force closes as well.

Everyone will get force closures upon replacing the file. I was referring to post-reboot (and specifically to US/CAN mixups)

When I tried to ultimately reboot, the system stayed in virtual honeycomb startup mode forever. Unable to get the unit to fully boot now. I'm afraid that I may be stuck trying to SBF my way out of this; which sucks because that hasn't been working lately. If there is any wisdom that anyone can share at this point, I'm all ears. As it is, I will never try this apk thing again. I had my XOOM just the way I wanted it and I got greedy, just my luck.

Just push the stock framework-res.apk, you do not have to sbf. ADB will connect even if it is stuck on the boot animation forever, just give it time.

What model XOOM do you have, and what file did you copy? Also, what method did you use for updating to 3.1?

Last edited:

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
Firstly, thanks sangreal06 for your efforts in this post and others - so many small changes compared to themeing for Froyo!

Have searched XDA and Google, can't find an obvious answer for this so apologies if it is already answered - which .xml files are responsible for the CRT animation?

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
Firstly, thanks sangreal06 for your efforts in this post and others - so many small changes compared to themeing for Froyo!

Have searched XDA and Google, can't find an obvious answer for this so apologies if it is already answered - which .xml files are responsible for the CRT animation?

Sorry, I haven't checked XDA in awhile. res\values\bools.xml is responsible. The value is config_animateScreenLights or something like that. Setting it to false enables the animation

zeroxg4

Nov 8, 2009
I replaced framework-res.apk with the file in the OP (3.1 wifi) and rebooted but am now bootlooping on the startup animation. My guess is because I did not rename the file to simply framework-res.apk. Does anyone have a CWM flashable zip for either the stock framework-res or the one in this thread? ( for US 3.1 Wifi only Xoom) so that I can flash and fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nvm I fixed it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Last edited:

ivcarlos

Apr 23, 2008
Hello all...

I on a mz605. I try to change my own framework-res.apk using apktool and starting a bootloop. Replacing modified by original, xoom works great. Analysing log, android reject apk with "IOException".. Why? After a long tries, i worked in a funcional version (without apktool) and sms, voice and sip enabled.
But a question.... why the phone muted? In a speak and headphone.
someone has got a voice conversation?

i using a pre paid chip on my xoom and i need phone to send ussd commands to check credits and validity. its great now!

Last edited:

fokus

Oct 17, 2007
Rheine - Germany
fokus.net
White Text on white font :)

20110623164934.jpeg

Ups... what is that? Since i did this mod i can't read the contacs.:confused:

White text on white font...

Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks a lot!!

Fokus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been messing around with the framework-res.apk today after seeing some posts about the lock screen animation. Obviously this is pretty unfocused but I figured I'd share my results anyway in case anyone else wanted to mess around.

Lock Animation

Neat I guess, but it only works in Portrait mode.

User Agent String
    I changed the UA String in the browser to get around the about:debug nonsense. It now reports as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Intel Mac OSX 10_6_3; 3.0.1; en-us; Xoom Build/HR166) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13

SMS Support
    8E4ngl.jpg

This one was worth it just to get the stupid MyVerizon password. Works for outgoing and incoming but you have to install an SMS App. This will also allow you to enable your Xoom's phone number with Google Voice. Data charges apply.

Voice Support
    MzMRVl.jpg

I'm able to make calls using Google Voice but I have no idea if it is an IP call or what. Obviously I have no minutes on my plan. Note: The mic/speaker doesn't currently work so this is useless unless you use the SIP phone. I might look into this when I have time, for people connecting their Xoom's to other networks with voice plans.

SIP Phone
    RHmLEl.jpg

Build-in SIP client.

Installation
    Replace the framework-res.apk in /system/framework/ with the file attached and reboot. For whatever reason this might cause your accounts and Wallpaper to get removed. Requires Root. Make sure to back up your framework-res.apk. You'll probably need it the next time an update rolls out. Don't blame me if this breaks anything, but let me know if you see any issues (especially with date formatting).

To-Do: I'd like to fix the contacts app when Phone is enabled

Update 5/8:
    Added UA String fix for US/CAN WiFi. (Untested)
    Rebuilt UA String fix for VZW 3G using my new tool
    All versions have the language strings from CAN WiFi

Update 5/12
    3.1 Support for 3g VZW XOOM. (Use this if you updated using bigrushdog's method)
    Removed previous files
    Language Support is only partial. I do not have the new 3.1 language strings other than EN/ES so a few things will be English. Also, individual apps still need to support other languages (Settings, for example)

Update 2 - 5/12
    3.1 US WiFi Support (Do not use this if you updated using bigrushdog's method)

Files:
    full - CRT, SIP, SMS, UAString
    uastring - UAString

I cannot help you with custom combinations or different models unless I have the framework-res.apk from your model
    So does this mean that we can use this fix if we updated to 3.1 with BRD? I have been looking for this since 3.1 came out. did you just use the wifi version that is posted in the OP, did you have to change anything?

If you updated with BRD, use the "framework-res-uastring-3GVZW-3_1.apk" file. even if you have a wifi only xoom, that is the file you need if you updated using BRD's method. I didnt try using root explorer to copy it to framework because people have said there was issues with that method. I pushed the file with adb and everything is working perfectly. The only thing you will need to do is rename the file to framework-res.apk.
    Sorry guys I've been out of town. I know what the issue is with the dates, I just haven't had a chance to fix it.
    Try the attached out. Should fix the date issue. Still 3G only, etc. Let me know if you see any more 1$ issues.

I can upload one without the animation if you really want (that is just what inspired me to mess with the file). I noticed it works in landscape while the Xoom is upside down btw. I haven't really had a chance to do any more experimenting the last few days, or to look at the wifi file posted (I find it hard to believe these can't be merged. Only big difference should be the French strings?).

SMS is definitely not blocked. Make sure you don't have GV forward SMS to your Phone's number or you'll get charged.
    can i just install the framework apk for the ua string?

or do i need torename it and copy it and reboot my xoom

reason being is im already using a modified framework for my theme

wont it replace it if i flash this?

Yes, you have to rename it and replace it. If you want to apply this to your themed framework-res.apk do this

download the framework-res-uastring.apk
    extract resources.arsc using winrar

Open your themed framework-res.apk in winrar
    Delete resources.arsc from your themed framework-res.apk
    Drag your extracted resources.arsc into the winrar window
    Winrar will popup with a bunch of options
    Set the compression level option to Store
    Copy the themed framework-res.apk to your xoom

This will still only work on the Verizon XOOM.