Need help with rooting Rogers Galaxy S4 I337M

Search This thread

Pellisco

Mar 16, 2014
So first off, I am have a lot of questions that I might as well ask.

First, will rooting my Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4 I337m mess anything up with the carrier? Like, will i still be able to call and text, etc?

Secondly, can my carrier track that I have a rooted phone?

And this is the most important question, how do I actually root this phone? Most of the methods I have tried don't work because the security app "KNOX" keeps denying access for the root to happen. I have tried many ways to remove KNOX from the phone, but none of them work....So how do I actually root this phone without having KNOX shut me down?

Anyways, thanks for the help!

robinsonj

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

First, will rooting my Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4 I337m mess anything up with the carrier? Like, will i still be able to call and text, etc?

And this is the most important question, how do I actually root this phone? Most of the methods I have tried don't work because the security app "KNOX" keeps denying access for the root to happen. I have tried many ways to remove KNOX from the phone, but none of them work....So how do I actually root this phone without having KNOX shut me down?

So ...based on the question, and the fact that this is your first post, it appears you have a fair bit of reading to get through before doing it but yes the phone does everything rooted as it did before, you just have access to the whole file system (which means you will have the ability to break things that were "roped off for your protection" before rooting)

No your carrier doesn't know or care you are rooted... unless you do break something and bring it in asking them to fix it, then they will tell you you broke it yourself tough luck. (unless of course you reverse everything back to stock first)

FIRST read all (really... read all of it) of the 2nd and 3rd thread in "AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 General"

[GUIDE][INFO] The beginner's info thread (aka. the noob helper) and [HOW-TO] The ULTIMATE All-In-One Guide - I337M & MDL - MF3 - MK2

Then you can root. The "CF Auto-root" method works perfectly on all the Canadian carrier versions (they only differ in carrier bloat.), then install a custom recovery, then install a good backup utility, I suggest TiBu (which will also allow you to remove Knox).

Good luck.

Reactions: Pellisco

Pellisco

Mar 16, 2014
So ...based on the question, and the fact that this is your first post, it appears you have a fair bit of reading to get through before doing it but yes the phone does everything rooted as it did before, you just have access to the whole file system (which means you will have the ability to break things that were "roped off for your protection" before rooting)

No your carrier doesn't know or care you are rooted... unless you do break something and bring it in asking them to fix it, then they will tell you you broke it yourself tough luck. (unless of course you reverse everything back to stock first)

FIRST read all (really... read all of it) of the 2nd and 3rd thread in "AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 General"

[GUIDE][INFO] The beginner's info thread (aka. the noob helper) and [HOW-TO] The ULTIMATE All-In-One Guide - I337M & MDL - MF3 - MK2

Then you can root. The "CF Auto-root" method works perfectly on all the Canadian carrier versions (they only differ in carrier bloat.), then install a custom recovery, then install a good backup utility, I suggest TiBu (which will also allow you to remove Knox).

Good luck.

Yes, I know this is my first post, and you may think I don't know much about rooting, but I have had some experience in the past. I did root my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, first time I soft bricked it, then actually got to root and stuff to work, so I have some knowledge on what I am doing.

Those two threads that you have linked me, I have looked over and learn't some stuff from them. I have also downloaded CF Auto-Root for the I337m version. I know how to work it, through using Odin and download mode, exact same way I rooted my tablet.

I just have one more question though, rooting it with odin through download mode, that bypasses KNOX and allows the root to work? Cause if I tried rooting with any program like motochopper, KNOX would block it.

robinsonj

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yes, I know this is my first post, and you may think I don't know much about rooting, but I have had some experience in the past. I did root my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, first time I soft bricked it, then actually got to root and stuff to work, so I have some knowledge on what I am doing.

Those two threads that you have linked me, I have looked over and learn't some stuff from them. I have also downloaded CF Auto-Root for the I337m version. I know how to work it, through using Odin and download mode, exact same way I rooted my tablet.

I just have one more question though, rooting it with odin through download mode, that bypasses KNOX and allows the root to work? Cause if I tried rooting with any program like motochopper, KNOX would block it.

OK just didn't want you to brick your phone by not really understanding Odin... It is writing to the system partition and has been known to make a mess if the wrong files are dropped in the bootloader or if a download is interrupted.

I'm afraid all I really know about KNOX is from reading about the problems with the 1.x implementation and that the latest was supposed to be the solution for BYOD in a secure enterprise...
I Odined CF Auto-Root and had no issues whatsoever... I'm pretty sure KNOX can only run inside the OS, so in download mode you're outside of where it can interfere with anything. After the root and a custom recovery the first thing I did was freeze all KNOX and "enterprise" files just in case.

Pellisco

Mar 16, 2014
OK just didn't want you to brick your phone by not really understanding Odin... It is writing to the system partition and has been known to make a mess if the wrong files are dropped in the bootloader or if a download is interrupted.

I'm afraid all I really know about KNOX is from reading about the problems with the 1.x implementation and that the latest was supposed to be the solution for BYOD in a secure enterprise...
I Odined CF Auto-Root and had no issues whatsoever... I'm pretty sure KNOX can only run inside the OS, so in download mode you're outside of where it can interfere with anything. After the root and a custom recovery the first thing I did was freeze all KNOX and "enterprise" files just in case.

Okay. Hopefully KNOX doesn't interfere with anything. I also noticed in download mode:

Product Name: SGH-I337M
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
KNOX Kernel Lock: 0x0
KNOX Warranty Void: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x20
Write Protection: Enable
eMMC Burst Mode: Enabled

So which ones trip when I root it? I know that the 'Current Binary' will trip if I install a custom rom, but, what about the KNOX stuff? I know that the Warranty Void will then turn to '0x1' and I think the kernel lock will change too, but not 100% sure.

Also, what about Write Protection? Will that have anything to do with writing new software onto the phone and will block it?

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Okay. Hopefully KNOX doesn't interfere with anything. I also noticed in download mode:

Product Name: SGH-I337M
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
KNOX Kernel Lock: 0x0
KNOX Warranty Void: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x20
Write Protection: Enable
eMMC Burst Mode: Enabled

So which ones trip when I root it? I know that the 'Current Binary' will trip if I install a custom rom, but, what about the KNOX stuff? I know that the Warranty Void will then turn to '0x1' and I think the kernel lock will change too, but not 100% sure.

Also, what about Write Protection? Will that have anything to do with writing new software onto the phone and will block it?

You may want to look at the top of this page.... http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ states CF-auto root will trip Knox warranty... if your rooting, you should install a custom recovery and do a nand backup before you do anything else root without backup can have some ill side effects if you mess around with your files/apps... ie delete something that is critical.... of coruse custom recovery trips something else too I forget what it was but I am sure it's been discussed a couple times throughout the forum.... all I can say is read lots.... most times someone can get you out of a jam but I prefer not to go there in the first place.. so I read before I do.... most here will tell you it's the best way.... pay close attention to those who have messed up... good indication of what not to do....

Pellisco

Mar 16, 2014
One other thing I noticed was that there are locked boot loaders on certain devices.

So I have been wondering, does the Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4 come with a locked boot loader? Cause if it does, and I try and root my phone, there is a high chance that it will brick the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck.