Extract SMS on WP7

Search This thread

andreacorti

Apr 27, 2011
Lecco
ok... getting the file from the phone is quite easy, i can use api to access files (as wp7root tools does).

now i am trying parsing it... and it's kind of crazy.
this is more complex than sql server databases...

anyone has an idea?

Last edited:

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
Re-bumped.
I have a HD2 Yuki/Xbmod BTTF on Mango
I managed to make copies of store.vol and pimIndex.vol using touchexplorer http://www.forum.touchxperience.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=582 (it errors but the copies are made and show up with contents as opposed to 0 bytes) but I could not delete the originals nor rename the new .txt files to the original names, and I left them in the stores folder.
on reboot the microsoft folder in application data became a file with 0 bytes, so there is no access to any folders within it. The phone works fine and sms are still there.
Somehow the phone has sensed my fiddling and locked me out, or a bug in touchexplorer or I should have moved the files before rebooting.
I will have to try again next re-flash.

ap3rus

May 8, 2010
Saint-Petersburg
Arhh, this file is a mess, I definitely see SMS texts in there, however the text body mixed with some special characters which can be trimmed only by a guess. I wish I knew the format of this data. Though, will keep trying to get a right parser, challenge does not seems to be useless :)
Has anybody got any progress in there?

Upd. File seems to be a CEDB database.

Attachments

• sms.jpg
    sms.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Hmm. Any news on an update for Windows Phone Device Manager to support Mango yet? It looks like any of the good dev work for it died off back in April or so.

I have no need to extract the messages from the file but I would greatly like to be able to just backup and restore my messages on the phone. Having an Arrive which is the more locked down CDMA phone seems to be a twofold pain in the butt as far as tinkering is concerned. The phone is great but I want to upgrade to 32G and don't care to loose my SMS.

I keep holding out waiting for an official backup solution to MyPhone but as with everyone else, the wait continues to be long. :/

peeks20

Aug 1, 2009
Re-bumped.
I have a HD2 Yuki/Xbmod BTTF on Mango
I managed to make copies of store.vol and pimIndex.vol using touchexplorer http://www.forum.touchxperience.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=582 (it errors but the copies are made and show up with contents as opposed to 0 bytes) but I could not delete the originals nor rename the new .txt files to the original names, and I left them in the stores folder.
on reboot the microsoft folder in application data became a file with 0 bytes, so there is no access to any folders within it. The phone works fine and sms are still there.
Somehow the phone has sensed my fiddling and locked me out, or a bug in touchexplorer or I should have moved the files before rebooting.
I will have to try again next re-flash.

That's about policy security,, the system protected that file you're try to copy,,

Like this

<Rule Description="Protect the registry hive files from everyone but the system" ResourceIri="$(WINDOWS_DIRECTORY_PATH)/REGISTRY/(*)" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_HIGH">
<Authorize>
<Match AccountId="$(SYSTEM_RESOURCE_GROUP_NAME)" AuthorizationIds="FILE_ALL_ACCESS"></Match>
</Authorize>
<Stop>
<Match AccountId="$(EVERYONE_GROUP_NAME)"></Match>
</Stop>
</Rule>

<Rule Description="Protect the policy DB from everyone but the system" ResourceIri="$(WINDOWS_DIRECTORY_PATH)/SECURITY/POLICYDB.VOL" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_HIGH">
<Stop>
</Stop>
</Rule>

<Rule Description="Protect the metabase from everyone but the system" ResourceIri="$(FILESYS_PRIMARY_ROOT)/MXIP_SYSTEM.VOL" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_HIGH">
<Stop>
</Stop>
</Rule>

<Rule Description="Protect the metabase from everyone but the system" ResourceIri="$(FILESYS_PRIMARY_ROOT)/MXIP_NOTIFY.VOL" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_HIGH">
<Stop>
</Stop>
</Rule>

<Rule Description="Protect the Object Store" ResourceIri="$(GLOBAL_RESOURCES)/FILESYS/OBJECT_STORE" SpeakerAccountId="$(SYSTEM_USER_NAME)" PriorityCategoryId="PRIORITY_HIGH">
<Authorize>
<Match AccountId="$(ELEVATED_RIGHTS_RESOURCE_GROUP_NAME)" AuthorizationIds="ALL_ACCESS"></Match>
</Authorize>
<Stop>
</Stop>
</Rule>

i managed to edit a policy.xml file,, and that work.

FelipeMR

Aug 12, 2010
São Paulo
winmobr.org
I was able to successfully perform the steps:
- To copy the file in Mango, use the app "Advanced Explorer" ( or not TouchExplorer WPDM);
- Copy to Folder Isolated IStorage Files app "WebServer";
- Through the app "WebServer" copy the file to your PC;
- Download the Installer Perl;
- Download the Perl script;
- Place all files in Perl;
- Rename the file to store.vol store.vol.txt;
- Run the script as indicated;

OBS.: The perl script but does not extract sms contacts from another file type. If this is really the SMSs new script file is necessary to draw them

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Have you tried copying the .Vol files with the latest 1.7 beta of WPDM? Supposed to be full Mango support but as I have an Arrive, I am looking for confirmation that it works without an Interop Unlock before I dive in.

Gray.Fox

Mar 1, 2011
any update guys ?
it is so frustrating
i can't change my phone or hard reset my phone
never hated anything more than wp7 :(

skorpio

Dec 30, 2004
Vicenza
hi guys, i have the LG Optimus 7 full unloked with MFG...
i have installed WPDM 1.8 on my pc and toucXperience on my phone...
i've syncronized all... but in the folder section i cannot see the folder "Application data"
also try paste "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore" but not work!
i have only 3 folder
- applications
- my documents
- windows
we're is the solutions?
thanks in advance...
ps: sorry for my poor english...

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
WPDM can't browse the full filesystem, only the parts that low-permission sandboxed apps can access. WP7 Root Tools can access the filesystem on Samsung, and TouchXplorer/Advanced Explorer/old version of WPDM can access the file system on some HTC phones (those who do not have a particular crippling update). Nothing for LG (yet).

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
WPDM can't browse the full filesystem, only the parts that low-permission sandboxed apps can access. WP7 Root Tools can access the filesystem on Samsung, and TouchXplorer/Advanced Explorer/old version of WPDM can access the file system on some HTC phones (those who do not have a particular crippling update). Nothing for LG (yet).

By crippling update, do you mean Mango?;)
It might be possible to re-flash BTTF and upgrade to NODO then send operator.cabs and extrapartitions, Hard reset then swap the pim and store. Then upgrade to mango.
Anyone willing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there,

just for your info - maybe it helps somebody:

after some days of trying i found the shortmessages (with tel-number etc.) and some other stuff in a file:

1. Explore your phone with Windows Phone Device Manager

2. goto \Application Data\

3. Add "\Microsoft" to the path (under the file-explorer logo)

4. goto Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

5. Rename "store.vol" to something like "store.vol.txt" (it is mandatory to rename this file - without this step the file is in use by outlook)

6. extract it (drag n drop)

7. run perl script (#perl test.pl store.vol.txt)

8. See output

Maybe one of you could build a backup application or something like that!

Link to perl script:
    http://uploaded.to/file/he26q0d2

Original source of script:
    http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pocketpc-dev/21040/Reading-pim-vol-EDB-File-on-a-PC

Edit:
    Don't know if you've seen it:

\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\data

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right ;) )

\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! :) )

\Applications\Data\82A23635-5BD9-DF11-A844-00237DE2DB9E\Data\IsolatedStore

ALL Facebook-Information (if app is installed), including messages, pictures, notifications etc. etc.

\Application Data\Location\Cache

Wifi & GSM Data when features is enabled in WP7-preferences (encrypted?! don't know..)

Much more to come... ;)

greets
    endeffekt
    Backup and Restore your SMS

Hi guys!

I managed to backup and restore my SMS without any problems.

The only thing is, that you need a file explorer to do it, so restoring to, or backuping from Mango isn't possible at this time (or is there a file explorer for mango?).

Here is how I've done it:

As endeffekt wrote, you need to copy the files store.vol and the PimIndex.vol from \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

Therefor you need to access your phone with the Windows Phone Device Manager.

1. Open Windows Phone Device Manager

2. Click on "Explore files and folders"
    attachment.php

3. Copy this path \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore and paste it to the navigation bar.
    attachment.php

4. Now you see store.vol and PimIndex.vol

5. Rename both files (for example to store.vol.txt and PimIndex.vol.txt) and copy them to your PC. Without renaming the files you can't copy them.
    attachment.php

6. To restore, copy them back to your phone (be sure that they are still renamed!!!)

7. Rename the files to their original and your done :)

To be sure, you can backup and restore the Data folder, too. But for me it worked without the Data folder.
    Don't know if you've seen it:

\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\data

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right )

\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! )

\Applications\Data\82A23635-5BD9-DF11-A844-00237DE2DB9E\Data\IsolatedStore

ALL Facebook-Information (if app is installed), including messages, pictures, notifications etc. etc.

\Application Data\Location\Cache

Wifi & GSM Data when features is enabled in WP7-preferences (encrypted?! don't know..)
    Not actually Mango itself (as in, 7720.68) but actually an HTC update which was slipstreamed into the Mango update for most HTC users. If you got Mango as part of a non-standard update path, like coming from beta to RTM, the harmful HTC update was separate and could be canceled.
    Is it possible to save store.vol on PC and after re-install the rom to put it back on the phone and to recover old messages?
    It is possible to get them onto pc using touchxplorer, but difficult to put back on phone at the moment on our hd2s, using BTTF rom. It might be possible using a fully unlocked ROM like HD2owner or pdamatejam, I haven't tried them;)