[WARNING] v4.5.141 Causing Problems

Search This thread

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
I've received a bunch of notifications saying that the latest update leads unlocked bootloader users to some sort of device brick. I know absolutely no details at this time. This post is a warning to those who may attempt the update.

If you have any details, please post below.

Notices:
- DO NOT USE SBF FILES EVER.

Last edited:

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.
4.5.141 Update Warning!

So, hey yea you. What is this?
This is a warning that a developer has hard bricked his device by updating to the new 4.5.141 update and attempting to unlock his device. As well as some users hard bricking their phones by flashing the new 4.5.141 SBF via RSD Lite build on their already unlocked devices and updating via OTA on their already unlocked devices.​
How can I avoid getting hard bricked oh knowledgeable person!
You can avoid bricking your device by not flashing any over-the-air updates to Android 2.3.6 (4.5.141). You can try flashing Nottach's new ROM based off the 4.5.141 update NottachTrix 4G or just don't upgrade at all.
Specifically, what should I avoid?
Specifically you should avoid updating over OTA on an unlocked device, although many users confirmed that it works there is still a very very high risk updating a device with an unlocked bootloader, and you should NOT FLASH THIS SBF!
That link is given so you know what not to flash, if you flash that and get bricked it's not our fault!
What if I already flashed the official 4.5.141?
If you flashed the official update you should seriously avoid flashing SBF files in RSD Lite. Using Fruit Cakes to downgrade have not been tested yet, it is suggested over RSD but your on your own until someone confirms that Fruit Cakes work to downgrade.
What happens when you get a hard brick?
The error shows:
SVF:105.1:2
Failed to boot 0X1000
DSCN0296.JPG
Too late! I'm bricked, what can I do?
To tell you the truth, it has been impossible to recover from a hardbrick until yesterday. In his post, Nottach was able to fix his hardbrick. He wrote everything he did in that post. Read it and hope it works. Notice: This may not work for you, but you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work since you already bricked your phone...

Yea yea, I used Kenn's layout from the older warning thread, Sue me...
UPDATE FIX: UncleCemka made a guide for us to update to 4.5.11 with an unlocked bootloader and root. Give him thanks!

I could not find any resource here, to provide a step-by-step guide for going from ATT 4.5.91 rooted, with Unlocked Bootloader to the latest 4.5.141 without bricking. I put this together myself and tested it on my own Atrix. Use at your own risk!

It's kind of a technical guide, but you really get to learn about your phone doing it this way. I did assume you know some basics about Android and Atrix that you could learn from Swiftks great guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1154600

Thanks to all of the resources here on XDA, that I used to pull this info together.

REQUIREMENTS:
- ATT Atrix 4.5.91 with Unlocked Bootloader
- Custom Recovery (Romracers or Rom Manager)

PRE STEPS:
- Take a full Nandroid Backup with CWM
- Backup your apps with TiBu
- Backup Call and SMS Logs with My Backup Root

Files Needed:
- 4.5.141 Full SBF - http://atrix.tk/4.5.141/ or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22379866&postcount=393
- preinstall.img - for root - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15023022&postcount=2
- adb and moto-fdastboot - get anywhere
- Portable SBF Tool - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059643
- .37P Radio zip (N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1339047
- Nebtop for Webtop over HDMI - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php? t=1404625

Steps:
- Open full 4.5.141 SBF with Portable SBF Tool, to extract the smg files. Move the SMG folder, before closing the tool.

- Power off phone
- Power on while holding down the vol button
- Scroll to Fastboot with the vol down, vol up to select fastboot
- Connect to PC
- Cleanup:
moto-fastboot erase system
moto-fastboot erase boot
moto-fastboot erase webtop
- Flash new boot, system, webtop, preinstall
moto-fastboot flash boot CG59_0x00000130.smg
moto-fastboot flash system CG60_0x00000140.smg
moto-fastboot flash webtop CG61_0x00000150.smg
moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
- Wipe and reboot
moto-fastboot -w
moto-fastboot reboot

- Turn on USB Debugging
- Root
adb shell
/preinstall/dosu
/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
PATH=/system/bin:$PATH
pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
*Make sure to accept the Superuser prompt on the phone when using it the first time.

- sqlite
cp /preinstall/sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3
chmod 6755 /system/bin/sqlite3

- Google Video over 3g
adb shell
su
sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
select * from main where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';
*gtalk_vc_wifi_only|true
update main set value='false' where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';
*gtalk_vc_wifi_only|false
.exit

- Tether hack
sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "UPDATE settings SET value='disabled' WHERE name='entitlement_check';"

sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

select * from settings WHERE name='entitlement_check';

*118|entitlement_check|disabled
.exit

- Radio
adb push N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip /mnt/sdcard/
reboot into recovery and apply from sdcard
wipe cache
wipe dalvik cache
reboot

- Recover apps with TiBu

- Restore Call log and SMS data with My Backup Root

- Remove Annoying SDCARD Mount sounds
adb shell
su
setprop persist.service.mount.playsnd 0

- Install the Nebtop Apk for Webtop over HDMI

Last edited:

Nottach

Mar 20, 2008
New York
I went through this update fiasco with two different Atrixs, One unlocked, one locked.

Unlocked device:
I could not get the OTA update to work no matter how "back to stock" I was.
I kept receiving Failed to Boot 2 errors and could only solve them using RSDlite.
I also received a Failed to Boot 1 when using the auto-update tool and RSDlite again was the only solution.
Each time I used the pre-unlocked 4.5.91 sbf to fix.

After returning that device, for unrelated issues, I got a brand new, locked, device.
I applied the OTA update before unlocking.
Then I flashed pudding.sbf and got:
SVF message: 105:1:2
Failed to Boot 0x1000
I thought I was done for.
But after trying many different button combos I was somehow able to get to fastboot.
I think it was holding vol up and power while inserting the battery that got me into fastboot.
From there I tried to flash different 4.5.91 partitions starting with boot but it kept failing.
So, I proceeded to finish the unlock by, fastboot oem unlock.
That got me into a bootloop and I was able to reboot into fastboot the normal way where I then installed the stock 4.5.91 system and boot images.
I was then able to boot into 4.5.91.

If you get to this point I recommend waiting for a fruitcake or trying out NottachTrix.
It was a real pain to get the update flashed and booting, more trouble than it's worth unless you plan on ripping it apart. I believe it's because there were apk patches opposed to full apks. Also boot patches that I think checked for an unlocked bootloader. But I'm not sure about that.

I hope this helps anybody who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Last edited:

nickvisel

Jan 22, 2012
Elk Grove
For what it is worth, I was able to download the OTA and successfully install it running the 2.3.4 SBF using Motorola's Software Update thing. A data factory reset and clean deletion of my sdcard worked on 2.3.4 . I cannot speak for anyone else nor do I endorse this idea, but it IS possible.

Pzyduck

Nov 8, 2010
La Rioja
Original Gingerbread SBF 2.3.6 for ATRIX 4G AT&T USA

For AT&T DEVICES ONLY

DO NOT FLASH TO A DEVICE WITH AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER. ATTEMPTING TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN A BRICK !!!!

Upgrading to 2.3.6 will more than likely prevent you from downgrading to any previous version of Gingerbread.

Blur_Version.4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.US

1FF-olympus-user-2.3.6-4.5.141-111212-release-keys-signed-ATT-US-GAS_NA_OLPSGBATTSPE_P012.sbf.gz
http://www.fileserve.com/file/vgWHx...signed-ATT-US-GAS_NA_OLPSGBATTSPE_P012.sbf.gz

Compression MD5 - 78CBE2314D76016A12118B30655A3451

SBF MD5 - 0BC556A7FD949317F061E29D88632242

To install this version must have installed the Firmware 2.3.4 Original, if they have unlocked the bootloader, flash back to version 2.3.4 you can install the new update

Reactions: Dav0 and zigory

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
To install this version must have installed the Firmware 2.3.4 Original, if they have unlocked the bootloader, flash back to version 2.3.4 you can install the new update
Wrong! I went back to stock and had "failed to boot 4, starting RSD mode" EVERY TIME!!!! Its this update period - its ****... something is effed up in it....

striderok

Jul 19, 2008
I flashed my MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G AT&T 2.3.4(4.5.91) with unlocked boot with
1FF-olympus-user-2.3.6-4.5.141-111212-release-keys-signed-ATT-US-GAS_NA_OLPSGBATTSPE_P012.sbf.

And not bricked

my SYS/Firmware/fuse/ReservedODM before flashing 10000000000010001000300004000
my SYS/Firmware/fuse/ReservedODM after flashing 10000000000030001000300004000

Do not downgrade 4.5.141 with RSDlite & sbf/

striderok

Jul 19, 2008
I flashed my MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G AT&T 2.3.4(4.5.91) with unlocked boot with
1FF-olympus-user-2.3.6-4.5.141-111212-release-keys-signed-ATT-US-GAS_NA_OLPSGBATTSPE_P012.sbf.

And not bricked

my SYS/Firmware/fuse/ReservedODM before flashing 10000000000010001000300004000
my SYS/Firmware/fuse/ReservedODM after flashing 10000000000030001000300004000

Do not downgrade 4.5.141 with RSDlite & sbf/

DeXtmL

Feb 26, 2011
I got a different situation. I post it here hopefully it is helpful to some ppl:

My atrix 4g:
Unlocked bl, custom CWM recovery and everything else is stock (4.5.91).

The situation:
Proceed with normal OTA procedure, it will shutdown and flash the update and give a big failure symbol(exclamation mark) after 3 seconds. You should feel lucky, because nothing important is really flashed. Possibly just some initial checks were performed. But if you reboot normally at this time, it will automatically shutdown and try to install the update again.

If you have a situation similar to this, don't panic, here's the quick fix: boot into CWM and format the /cache partition, then reboot normally. Basically this will purge all the downloaded OTA from your phone, and atrix is therefore prevented from automatically installing anything except giving warnings.

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.
I was thinking... You know how a Fruit Cake only flashes the system & boot images to your phone? That way you can't really get bricked since it doesn't flash over your boot loader or anything else.

Dark9781 linked me to the IMG files of the 4.5.141 update. And what I did was grab Sam's 2.3.5 Fruit Cake, delete the IMG files in it, replace them with the one from 4.5.141, fix the updater-script and volia...

lol, But I haven't tested it yet! If anyone brave wants to follow these and test it, be my guest, we might actually have a way to upgrade without a brick!

ghost_og

Sep 7, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
This was posted in general, but the user's post count was too low for the dev forum. Thought it might be useful to others, so reposting with OP's permission:

I know there have been varying posts on the subject, but I thought I would share my experience with the update. I originally started out on a bootloader unlocked, rooted, At&t branded Atrix. I had installed the 2.3.4/4.5.91 fruitcake previously and had been using it for some time. When the update came down I rolled back to stock recovery using fastboot and after the installation of the update, the phone gave me an failed to boot 4. I used rsd to flash the official 2.3.4/4.5.91. I received a failed to boot 1. (After going to launder my, now soiled, trousers) I noticed that when I plugged the phone in, RSD still recognized the phone, even though it did not show the "entering RSD mode" tag. It occured to me to attempt to flash pudding using the 4.2 auto unlock. Immediately after flashing pudding the phone booted up and everything was working fine.
At this point I rooted and installed clockwork on the phone using the same 4.2 tool. I then used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to back up my root. Unfortunately the tool installs clockwork in order to root the phone, so I had to flash back to stock recovery using fastboot. . I then booted, downloaded, and then installed the update.
After the update the phone rebooted, and gave me "failed to boot 2, starting RSD mode". At which point I installed pudding again using the tool. Rebooted after having installed pudding, the phone booted beautifully. I used OTA Rootkeeper to restore my root after the boot. Everything is working fine and it is on current version 4.5.141. I hope this helps someone else, or maybe someone to find a more simple, straight-forward way of doing this.

Has anyone else with an unlocked BL successfully updated to 4.5.141 (either OTA or sbf), and then successfully reflashed pudding?

Last edited:

Otkudja

Nov 24, 2011
Tesanj
Easy way to unlock 2.3.6

A have looked for simple way to unlock and root and pudding on first site was just to complicated. This is waaay more easy.
Manual is self explaining. I can also confirm that it works on android 2.3.6
Motorola Atrix 4G ATT 4.5.141
I have unlocked bootloader and rooted in couple simple steps. Afterwards you just need to install superuser from market as written in manual.

I use handy in Bosnia, worked great. Looking forward to Neutrino 2.2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1182871

Otkudja

Nov 24, 2011
Tesanj
Easy way to unlock 2.3.6

A have looked for simple way to unlock and root and pudding on first site was just to complicated. This is waaay more easy.
I have unlocked bootloader and rooted in couple simple steps. Afterwards you just need to install superuser from market as written in manual.

link updated
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1182871

Last edited:

the2dcour

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
I've received a bunch of notifications saying that the latest update leads unlocked bootloader users to some sort of device brick. I know absolutely no details at this time. This post is a warning to those who may attempt the update.

Notices:

Why unlock if you're going to flash full stock sbfs :rolleyes: ._.; Completely agree ken.
If you're going to flash stuff download the sbf, extract /system and /osh and flash those.

Reactions: kennethpenn

clark222

Sep 29, 2010
MADISON
i had troubles with ota, bootloader was unlocked, got failed to boot 4 and phone went into rsd mode..flashed 2.3.4 pudding file, that revived phone. I used motorola software updater and updated phone to 2.3.6 with locked bootloader, rooted phone, then used auto unlockr.. bootloader unlocked sucessfuly. ready to try roms.. very new to working with roms.

Alaq

Jan 21, 2011
U.S.

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1182871

Yea that link doesn't work...

ghost_og

Sep 7, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Unlocked on 4.5.141

I had to send my phone to Motorola to fix a shattered screen. It left with an unlocked BL, running CM7. I'm not 100% certain, but I think I was already on 4.5.91 when I initially unlocked it last year.

When it came back, Motorola was nice enough to upgrade me to 4.5.141 :rolleyes:

I just ran the automatic unlocker (option 3) and it successfully re-unlocked it without any issues. (Re-flashed romracer's CWM, and backing up now)

I didn't update by choice. So if you were unlocked and managed to get onto .141, and were wondering if pudding worked, then this may be of interest to you. :)

Btw, I noticed it used the trololol-unlock234.sbf during the process.

*Re-rooted with this method.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.5.141 Update Warning!

So, hey yea you. What is this?
    This is a warning that a developer has hard bricked his device by updating to the new 4.5.141 update and attempting to unlock his device. As well as some users hard bricking their phones by flashing the new 4.5.141 SBF via RSD Lite build on their already unlocked devices and updating via OTA on their already unlocked devices.​
    How can I avoid getting hard bricked oh knowledgeable person!
    You can avoid bricking your device by not flashing any over-the-air updates to Android 2.3.6 (4.5.141). You can try flashing Nottach's new ROM based off the 4.5.141 update NottachTrix 4G or just don't upgrade at all.
    Specifically, what should I avoid?
    Specifically you should avoid updating over OTA on an unlocked device, although many users confirmed that it works there is still a very very high risk updating a device with an unlocked bootloader, and you should NOT FLASH THIS SBF!
    That link is given so you know what not to flash, if you flash that and get bricked it's not our fault!
    What if I already flashed the official 4.5.141?
    If you flashed the official update you should seriously avoid flashing SBF files in RSD Lite. Using Fruit Cakes to downgrade have not been tested yet, it is suggested over RSD but your on your own until someone confirms that Fruit Cakes work to downgrade.
    What happens when you get a hard brick?
    The error shows:
    SVF:105.1:2
    Failed to boot 0X1000
    DSCN0296.JPG
    Too late! I'm bricked, what can I do?
    To tell you the truth, it has been impossible to recover from a hardbrick until yesterday. In his post, Nottach was able to fix his hardbrick. He wrote everything he did in that post. Read it and hope it works. Notice: This may not work for you, but you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work since you already bricked your phone...

Yea yea, I used Kenn's layout from the older warning thread, Sue me...
    UPDATE FIX: UncleCemka made a guide for us to update to 4.5.11 with an unlocked bootloader and root. Give him thanks!

I could not find any resource here, to provide a step-by-step guide for going from ATT 4.5.91 rooted, with Unlocked Bootloader to the latest 4.5.141 without bricking. I put this together myself and tested it on my own Atrix. Use at your own risk!

It's kind of a technical guide, but you really get to learn about your phone doing it this way. I did assume you know some basics about Android and Atrix that you could learn from Swiftks great guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1154600

Thanks to all of the resources here on XDA, that I used to pull this info together.

REQUIREMENTS:
    - ATT Atrix 4.5.91 with Unlocked Bootloader
    - Custom Recovery (Romracers or Rom Manager)

PRE STEPS:
    - Take a full Nandroid Backup with CWM
    - Backup your apps with TiBu
    - Backup Call and SMS Logs with My Backup Root

Files Needed:
    - 4.5.141 Full SBF - http://atrix.tk/4.5.141/ or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22379866&postcount=393
    - preinstall.img - for root - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15023022&postcount=2
    - adb and moto-fdastboot - get anywhere
    - Portable SBF Tool - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059643
    - .37P Radio zip (N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1339047
    - Nebtop for Webtop over HDMI - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php? t=1404625

Steps:
    - Open full 4.5.141 SBF with Portable SBF Tool, to extract the smg files. Move the SMG folder, before closing the tool.

- Power off phone
    - Power on while holding down the vol button
    - Scroll to Fastboot with the vol down, vol up to select fastboot
    - Connect to PC
    - Cleanup:
    moto-fastboot erase system
    moto-fastboot erase boot
    moto-fastboot erase webtop
    - Flash new boot, system, webtop, preinstall
    moto-fastboot flash boot CG59_0x00000130.smg
    moto-fastboot flash system CG60_0x00000140.smg
    moto-fastboot flash webtop CG61_0x00000150.smg
    moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
    - Wipe and reboot
    moto-fastboot -w
    moto-fastboot reboot

- Turn on USB Debugging
    - Root
    adb shell
    /preinstall/dosu
    /bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    PATH=/system/bin:$PATH
    pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
    *Make sure to accept the Superuser prompt on the phone when using it the first time.

- sqlite
    cp /preinstall/sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/sqlite3

- Google Video over 3g
    adb shell
    su
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
    *gtalk_vc_wifi_only|true
    update main set value='false' where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';
    *gtalk_vc_wifi_only|false
    .exit

- Tether hack
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "UPDATE settings SET value='disabled' WHERE name='entitlement_check';"

sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

select * from settings WHERE name='entitlement_check';

*118|entitlement_check|disabled
    .exit

- Radio
    adb push N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip /mnt/sdcard/
    reboot into recovery and apply from sdcard
    wipe cache
    wipe dalvik cache
    reboot

- Recover apps with TiBu

- Restore Call log and SMS data with My Backup Root

- Remove Annoying SDCARD Mount sounds
    adb shell
    su
    setprop persist.service.mount.playsnd 0

- Install the Nebtop Apk for Webtop over HDMI
    I went through this update fiasco with two different Atrixs, One unlocked, one locked.

Unlocked device:
    I could not get the OTA update to work no matter how "back to stock" I was.
    I kept receiving Failed to Boot 2 errors and could only solve them using RSDlite.
    I also received a Failed to Boot 1 when using the auto-update tool and RSDlite again was the only solution.
    Each time I used the pre-unlocked 4.5.91 sbf to fix.

After returning that device, for unrelated issues, I got a brand new, locked, device.
    I applied the OTA update before unlocking.
    Then I flashed pudding.sbf and got:
    SVF message: 105:1:2
    Failed to Boot 0x1000
    I thought I was done for.
    But after trying many different button combos I was somehow able to get to fastboot.
    I think it was holding vol up and power while inserting the battery that got me into fastboot.
    From there I tried to flash different 4.5.91 partitions starting with boot but it kept failing.
    So, I proceeded to finish the unlock by, fastboot oem unlock.
    That got me into a bootloop and I was able to reboot into fastboot the normal way where I then installed the stock 4.5.91 system and boot images.
    I was then able to boot into 4.5.91.

If you get to this point I recommend waiting for a fruitcake or trying out NottachTrix.
    It was a real pain to get the update flashed and booting, more trouble than it's worth unless you plan on ripping it apart. I believe it's because there were apk patches opposed to full apks. Also boot patches that I think checked for an unlocked bootloader. But I'm not sure about that.

I hope this helps anybody who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Notices:
    I see a lot of posts that are all over the map, so I'm just going to put it all down here (what I know anyway). This applies to US/AT&T devices only but may work elsewhere.

1. If you RSD back to 4.5.91 then update you will have no issues.

2. If you use CWM to restore an un-rooted 4.5.91 (which also means you have an unlocked bootloader), after you get the OTA update it will apply the update but you will get a "failed to boot 4, starting RSD" message. To clear this, use RSD to re-install pudding. The device will reboot, perhaps twice, then start up on the .141 build with no further issues and you will remain unlocked.

3. If you didn't bother to make a backup of your stock image and rooted, re-root before accepting the update.

4. I don't know if there is a way to stop the update notifications. From what I understand there isn't unless you do some tweaking/hacking. I'm sure a search will yield results.
    Unlocked on 4.5.141

I had to send my phone to Motorola to fix a shattered screen. It left with an unlocked BL, running CM7. I'm not 100% certain, but I think I was already on 4.5.91 when I initially unlocked it last year.

When it came back, Motorola was nice enough to upgrade me to 4.5.141 :rolleyes:

I just ran the automatic unlocker (option 3) and it successfully re-unlocked it without any issues. (Re-flashed romracer's CWM, and backing up now)

I didn't update by choice. So if you were unlocked and managed to get onto .141, and were wondering if pudding worked, then this may be of interest to you. :)

Btw, I noticed it used the trololol-unlock234.sbf during the process.

*Re-rooted with this method.