[Completed] oprofile: functional after initial Android setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Belamigo

Sep 2, 2013
Funchal
Please direct my question, as the 'similar threads' feature for 'XDA Assist' shows there are no 'hits' for 'oprofile'.

One of my Android phones (the second in my signature), with limited /data partition storage size, shows a large subdirectory, 'oprofile' in /data/bin/oprofile. Running out of space in this partition seems to be a common problem, so I'd like to keep it as lean as possible.

Some research shows oprofile to be a tool for 'tuning' an Android setup -- but exactly when it's useful is not clear, from what I've been able to find.

My question is, is oprofile purely useful during development stages, while Android is being configured for a specific phone's harddware? In this case, perhaps someone just forgot to delete it, after it served its purpose -- and then, there's no harm in removing this subdirectory and regaining the space it consumes.

Or, does oprofile serve an continuing purpose, being used by the OS to continue the 'tuning' -- as the user adds new apps? In this case, that directory is functional and should be left alone. Or, is there data in these files, created during the initial 'tuning' that must be retained, for the benefits to continue?

Into which forum would this type of question be most productively posted?

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I have answered this question and posted a link to the Q&A Forum on your other thread. We generally prefer not to have multiple threads by the same user, if you have more questions, please mention in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.