Root & Install CM7 on Mytouch 3G Slide 2.2.1

Search This thread

insanityrains

Oct 16, 2010
Tempe, Az
Rooting & Flashing To Stock 2.1

1. Download the files below

2. Copy "ESPRIMG.zip" to the root of your sd card on your phone

3. Extract "Super-Click 2.3.1" & "Mt3s Rooter" to their own folders on your computer

4. Navigate to settings on your phone. Select "Connect to Pc", choose "Charge Only"

5. Navigate to "Applications" then select "Devolpment" and make sure "USB Debugging" is on

6. Run the .exe files within each of the folders (Run .exe as Admin if your using Vista/Win7)

7. In SuperOneClick, select "Shell Root", wait for it to finish rooting

8. In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
You will need to turn on the phones WIFI within 30 seconds so be quick and then wait for it to restart.

9. Once your phone is rebooted it should be in BOOTLOADER Mode. Press volume down to select fastboot (If it doesnt show fastboot then select Bootloader and it will then show the menu with fastboot).
Once fastboot is highlighted, press the power button once.
It will check for ESPRIMG.zip and should show a progress bar in the top right.
After waiting a while it will ask you if you want to update, press volume up.
When it is finished it will ask to reboot, press volume up to do so. (If phone says on Mytouch circle for too long just take out the battery and restart)
If you want to put CM7 on your phone do instructions below.

Installing CM7 with Google Apps

1. Rename "update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

3. Copy "Update" & "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" to the root of your phone

4. Turn your phone off. Once off press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

5. It will look for the ESPRIMG again, after its done you will see the menu. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button

6. A Red Triangle screen will show. Press volume up and power, then select "Wipe data/factory reset" then done do the same with "Wipe cache partition

7. After all that you will select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

8. Select reboot system now

9. Once phone is restarted go into the app drawer and open ROM Manager.

10. Scroll down and select "Download Rom" then select install and then select the option it shows. It should say that Clockwork Mod installed.

11. Now select "Install Rom from SD Card" and select "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" and press OK twice.
It will reboot and show it installing.
Once done it will reboot again and your done. (Btw it will have you sign in and such)

DOWNLOAD THESE FILES:

SuperOneClick 2.3.1-
http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

Mt3s Rooter-
http://depositfiles.com/files/hn8tn6141
or
http://www.mediafire.com/?7yq3wo5yl3odz4k

HTC Espresso Stock Rom (ESPRIMG for 2.1 stock rom)-
http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

CM7 Rom for Mytouch 3G Slide-
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip

Google Apps-
http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MyTouch 3G Slide Drivers (These Might Help With Failed ADB Connectivity)
http://secure.htc.com/US/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/
http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

I pieced this together so I don't take full cred. I know this works because I did it to my phone as I typed it :)
If this works make sure to post it. Also remember to give thanks. This was not easy to figure out.

Last edited:

cramill

Dec 21, 2010
Why not use ClockWorkMod recovery as update.zip and use that to flash roms and things from there?

breyes100

Nov 17, 2010
thank you so much for posting this i have been trying to gain root ever since i got my phone which was last year thank you :)

angelo420

Jul 23, 2010
phoenix
I cant flash update.zip it keeps saying cant mount sd and when i reboot it says i dont have an sd card:confused: i need help im stuck with 2.1 and cant load a rom

jasonftfw

Jun 19, 2010
Lombard, IL
not working

Didnt work for me.

superoneclick worked saying i had temporary adb root, then i would run mts rooter and it seems like that when the cmd prompt comes up that it doesnt work.

on the first part it said
"cd: can't cd to /sqlite_stmt_journals"

then after I turn wifi on and the cmd prompt goes again I get:

"./exploid not found" and " secretlol not found"

any help?

Fezmonger

Mar 26, 2008
one small hiccup

Used these instructions to root a friend's phone last night. There was one deviation we had to deal with:

5. It will look for the ESPRIMG again, after its done you will see the menu. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button

While we could see the menu the phone only gave us the choice to run update (YES) or reboot (NO). Recovery was inaccessible. We ran the update (with the bootloader bypassed) then when asked to reboot we chose (NO) and then could select RECOVERY and follow the steps above.

Yes, we did repeat the UPDATE.ZIP process but this time it did not skip Bootloader. Soon CM7 was up and running.

Hope this helps and thanks for the great instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: staypuft13

angelo420

Jul 23, 2010
phoenix
i need some help my says i dont have sd card when it boots up .Also it wont let me apply the update.zip .it says cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk0
cant find /sdcard/update.zip
Ive already reloaded ESPRIMG aboput 15 times im stuck with a useless phone please help

Also my pc wont recognize my phone so i cant use adb or anything

Last edited:

insanityrains

Oct 16, 2010
Tempe, Az
I cant flash update.zip it keeps saying cant mount sd and when i reboot it says i dont have an sd card:confused: i need help im stuck with 2.1 and cant load a rom
Some sd cards work better than others. Sandisk with a little 4 work great. Try to reformat it with a pc and I think it needs to be Fat32

Didnt work for me.

superoneclick worked saying i had temporary adb root, then i would run mts rooter and it seems like that when the cmd prompt comes up that it doesnt work.

any help?
Your pc is not detecting your phone. Try installing HTC Sync from the Mytouch 3Gs support page. Also make sure to run it as an administrator while being logged in on a admin account

Last edited:
Reactions: weakflesh

Shroomster

Nov 3, 2010
Orlando
I actually rooted mine while placing the phone in SYNC Mode after removing the sync program and pressing back button on phone to have it stop looking for SYNC...Just remove SYNC program from the computer not the drivers for the phone to be recognized.

weakflesh

Aug 2, 2011
Houston
Your pc is not detecting your phone. Try installing HTC Sync from the Mytouch 3Gs support page. Also make sure to run it as an administrator while being logged in on a admin account

I downloaded the htc sync software from htc dot com /us/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/ (xda's settings stop me from submitting a link as this is my first post), I then tried to rerun the SuperOneClick and it failed saying "ADB server is incorrect version" or something similar. I copied the ADB.exe from the HTC Sync app directory into the SuperOneClick, and wham bam it worked. Of course the MT3Rooter failed with the same error, so I repeated the copy and I had root.

Thanks for your help everyone, it is very appreciated by this sorta geek.

PS: As a software geek and a 42 year old jerk, it hurts my heart that XDA has to run such nasty anti-spam settings just to keep crap off this forum. Ends up penalizing the users with good intentions. I totally see why it has to be done, and I support the effort, just is sad that it has to be this way.

Last edited:

fixxxer2008

Jun 22, 2008
West Michigan
how do you achieve s-off though? does downgrading, also downgrade your bootloader?

the goldcard app is not working, the site is down to generate keys.

ganjagarn

Sep 5, 2011
Insanityrains: I have two stupid questions. Is there something I'm missing here? You don't have consecutive numbers for your instructions. Should I follow them in the order you have posted or in the order of the numbers?

Dumb question 2: Where is the download link for the ESPRIMG.zip file?

Thanks for your instructions! I hope it works for me.

UPDATE
I followed the steps to the letter. It worked seamlessly. Thanks insanityrains for putting all this together and the developer who actually figured this out!! However, few things I had to learn by doing it over and over again:
The first part worked awesome! (i.e. rooting and installing 2.1). It will keep saying there were errors and stuff but keep doing what insanityrains says to do.

The second part (installing CM7 with google apps was the hurdle for me): Follow his numbering in post #1 (once again, I'm refering to the second part) to understand what I'm saying below.

Before you begin, you don't need the ESPRIMG file anymore once you have rooted and installed 2.1 (the first part). So delete that file from the root of your SD card. By doing this, you can skip the annoying wait as it tries to reinstall 2.1 on your phone. Now for the two mistakes I did.

1. The first step was a silly mistake, but very much possible for someone to commit. Just rename the file "update" and dont add ".zip" like I did. Everytime I try installing the ROM it kept saying "cannot locate update.zip". I was scratching my head for a few times before I realized the mistake
2. Step #5. It will search for the ESPRIMG file and it is not going to find that. Select "recovery" then

For noobs, dont freak out while doing it. It was scary for me to root the phone. But once I did it fine, it was fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: staypuft13

fixxxer2008

Jun 22, 2008
West Michigan
anybody even here anymore?

theres too many outdated rooting guides on here. i already know i cannot achieve s-off now that we accepted the OTA. i already tried to root and it went fine but the clockwork recovery will not work. also when i boot into the 2.1 rom that i downgraded to i see there is no superuser app but it appears i am rooted because most root apps work minus wireless tether. i just want root and to run a semi stock non cm7 type rooted rom. is this possible with s-on or not?

if so can someone point me in the right direction please?

Last edited:

iyq

Jun 9, 2011
Worked!!!

Thanks insanityrains. Followed the steps and it worked. I would echo comments re: Menu choice for "Recovery" (see updates with fezmonger and ganjagarn).
Again - thanks!

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles

theres too many outdated rooting guides on here. i already know i cannot achieve s-off now that we accepted the OTA. i already tried to root and it went fine but the clockwork recovery will not work. also when i boot into the 2.1 rom that i downgraded to i see there is no superuser app but it appears i am rooted because most root apps work minus wireless tether. i just want root and to run a semi stock non cm7 type rooted rom. is this possible with s-on or not?

I thought someone on here said that you could use clockwork mod but you probably have to put it in, i can't help since I rooted my phone with the original method that was much easier.

Have you tried installing rom manager and letting it flash clockworkmod recovery?

fixxxer2008

Jun 22, 2008
West Michigan
I thought someone on here said that you could use clockwork mod but you probably have to put it in, i can't help since I rooted my phone with the original method that was much easier.

Have you tried installing rom manager and letting it flash clockworkmod recovery?

i was working on it for a client, i gave up. thanks anyways.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting & Flashing To Stock 2.1

1. Download the files below

2. Copy "ESPRIMG.zip" to the root of your sd card on your phone

3. Extract "Super-Click 2.3.1" & "Mt3s Rooter" to their own folders on your computer

4. Navigate to settings on your phone. Select "Connect to Pc", choose "Charge Only"

5. Navigate to "Applications" then select "Devolpment" and make sure "USB Debugging" is on

6. Run the .exe files within each of the folders (Run .exe as Admin if your using Vista/Win7)

7. In SuperOneClick, select "Shell Root", wait for it to finish rooting

8. In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
    You will need to turn on the phones WIFI within 30 seconds so be quick and then wait for it to restart.

9. Once your phone is rebooted it should be in BOOTLOADER Mode. Press volume down to select fastboot (If it doesnt show fastboot then select Bootloader and it will then show the menu with fastboot).
    Once fastboot is highlighted, press the power button once.
    It will check for ESPRIMG.zip and should show a progress bar in the top right.
    After waiting a while it will ask you if you want to update, press volume up.
    When it is finished it will ask to reboot, press volume up to do so. (If phone says on Mytouch circle for too long just take out the battery and restart)
    If you want to put CM7 on your phone do instructions below.

Installing CM7 with Google Apps

1. Rename "update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

3. Copy "Update" & "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" to the root of your phone

4. Turn your phone off. Once off press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

6. A Red Triangle screen will show. Press volume up and power, then select "Wipe data/factory reset" then done do the same with "Wipe cache partition

7. After all that you will select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

8. Select reboot system now

9. Once phone is restarted go into the app drawer and open ROM Manager.

10. Scroll down and select "Download Rom" then select install and then select the option it shows. It should say that Clockwork Mod installed.

11. Now select "Install Rom from SD Card" and select "gapps-gb-20110613-signed" and press OK twice.
    It will reboot and show it installing.
    Once done it will reboot again and your done. (Btw it will have you sign in and such)

DOWNLOAD THESE FILES:

SuperOneClick 2.3.1-
    http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

Mt3s Rooter-
    http://depositfiles.com/files/hn8tn6141
    or
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7yq3wo5yl3odz4k

HTC Espresso Stock Rom (ESPRIMG for 2.1 stock rom)-
    http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

CM7 Rom for Mytouch 3G Slide-
    http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.0.3-Slide-signed.zip

Google Apps-
    http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MyTouch 3G Slide Drivers (These Might Help With Failed ADB Connectivity)
    http://secure.htc.com/US/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

I pieced this together so I don't take full cred. I know this works because I did it to my phone as I typed it :)
    If this works make sure to post it. Also remember to give thanks. This was not easy to figure out.
    one small hiccup

Used these instructions to root a friend's phone last night. There was one deviation we had to deal with:

While we could see the menu the phone only gave us the choice to run update (YES) or reboot (NO). Recovery was inaccessible. We ran the update (with the bootloader bypassed) then when asked to reboot we chose (NO) and then could select RECOVERY and follow the steps above.

Yes, we did repeat the UPDATE.ZIP process but this time it did not skip Bootloader. Soon CM7 was up and running.

Hope this helps and thanks for the great instructions.
    Some sd cards work better than others. Sandisk with a little 4 work great. Try to reformat it with a pc and I think it needs to be Fat32

Didnt work for me.

any help?
    Insanityrains: I have two stupid questions. Is there something I'm missing here? You don't have consecutive numbers for your instructions. Should I follow them in the order you have posted or in the order of the numbers?

Dumb question 2: Where is the download link for the ESPRIMG.zip file?

Thanks for your instructions! I hope it works for me.

UPDATE
    I followed the steps to the letter. It worked seamlessly. Thanks insanityrains for putting all this together and the developer who actually figured this out!! However, few things I had to learn by doing it over and over again:
    The first part worked awesome! (i.e. rooting and installing 2.1). It will keep saying there were errors and stuff but keep doing what insanityrains says to do.

The second part (installing CM7 with google apps was the hurdle for me): Follow his numbering in post #1 (once again, I'm refering to the second part) to understand what I'm saying below.

Before you begin, you don't need the ESPRIMG file anymore once you have rooted and installed 2.1 (the first part). So delete that file from the root of your SD card. By doing this, you can skip the annoying wait as it tries to reinstall 2.1 on your phone. Now for the two mistakes I did.

1. The first step was a silly mistake, but very much possible for someone to commit. Just rename the file "update" and dont add ".zip" like I did. Everytime I try installing the ROM it kept saying "cannot locate update.zip". I was scratching my head for a few times before I realized the mistake
    2. Step #5. It will search for the ESPRIMG file and it is not going to find that. Select "recovery" then

For noobs, dont freak out while doing it. It was scary for me to root the phone. But once I did it fine, it was fun!
    how do you achieve s-off though? does downgrading, also downgrade your bootloader?

the goldcard app is not working, the site is down to generate keys.

No goldcard needed and s-off has been shown to be possible just google it and add xda its here somewhere.

Theirs no SUPERUSER program when putting on the 2.1 that's why its recommended to put on CM7 because it has everything you need to get full root. S-Off isn't root its just taking off security on things that if messed with could possibly brick your phone.