[JB] wpa_supplicant for adhoc wifi networks

Search This thread

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I've been trying a few JellyBean roms and they work quite smoothly I must say :)
but one feature that is still missing for me is the hability to connect to adhoc networks just like in old modded ICS roms.

I've patched and recompiled Team EOS3 wpa_supplicant that allows to see adhoc networks.
(although it should be the same source for other JB roms most likely too)

Unfortunately using Roach's default kernel it still doesn't list adhoc networks,
by using Guevor's kernel V23-JB-EOS it is able to list them.
However it is timing-out while trying to connect to it. :\

I'm not sure, but it might be related to the wifi module that comes with the rom / kernels.
If anyone knows what else should be changed in order to get it to work, feel free to contribute :)
It'd be nice to get it working on JB again :)

If you want to give it a try and report what works or doesn't work with each rom / kernel combination of your choice, I've attached the modified wpa_supplicant.

To test:
- turn off wifi
- su and remount /system rw
- mv /system/bin/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant.ori

- gunzip the file
- cp wpa_supplicant /system/bin/
- chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
- turn wifi back on.

If you want to switch back to the previous wpa_supplicant:

- turn off wifi
- mv /system/bin/wpa_supplicant.ori /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
- turn on wifi

Credits:
- jl7854 for the wpa_supplicant ICS patch.
- Team EOS for the original wpa_supplicant and EOS3 JellyBean rom sources. :)

Attachments

• wpa_supplicant_JB_Tim.gz
    325 KB · Views: 4,120
Last edited:

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I know this is for Transformer so my post is pretty off topic, but this actually is the first modified wpa_supp that allows me to turn on wifi again on Nexus S with stock JB. Unfortunately it doesn't show me ad hoc network either :(

archcantor

Feb 3, 2012
Bristol CT USA
The only ICS ROM that works in adhoc mode for me is Revolver. I have tried Guevor and Harmnony kernels and they both work. I wish I knew more to help the cause. Ricardopvz started to work with me to fix this in Megatron but he got sidetracked and never continued. I suppose someone could look at the driver in Revolver to see how that one works and see if the changes can be ported to JB.

Adhoc tethering is important to me because my old Droid-1 can't tether to my tablet in infrastructure mode. Bluetooth tethering is slow and inconvenient. Thanks for carrying the flag on this. I will try to help with the testing.

Last edited:

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I know this is for Transformer so my post is pretty off topic, but this actually is the first modified wpa_supp that allows me to turn on wifi again on Nexus S with stock JB. Unfortunately it doesn't show me ad hoc network either :(
Ah yeah, glad it could help still :)
I don't think wpa_supplicant is much different from rom to rom, so good to know that one works on Nexus S too.
Next is to figure out what might be missing either in the rom or in the wifi module or such...

The only ICS ROM that works in adhoc mode for me is Revolver. I have tried Guevor and Harmnony kernels and they both work. I wish I knew more to help the cause. Ricardopvz started to work with me to fix this in Megatron but he got sidetracked and never continued. I suppose someone could look at the driver in Revolver to see how that one works and see if the changes can be ported to JB.

Adhoc tethering is important to me because my old Droid-1 can't tether to my tablet in infrastructure mode. Bluetooth tethering is slow and inconvenient. Thanks for carrying the flag on this. I will try to help with the testing.

I have the same problem with my Nokia phone, it can only do adhoc network for sharing its 3G connection.
I can connect fine through it with bluetooth from a PC too, but android is not able to see the modem through bluetooth unfortunately.
So I definitely need adhoc to work ;)

Maybe Ricardopvz or someone could participate for the JB roms if they have an idea what to modify next, I can have a look too.
I'll have a look in what could be changed in the BCM wifi driver in the meantime.

Reactions: archcantor

MarkInDaPark

Feb 17, 2012
This makes the RaymanFX CM10 ROM see ad-hoc's but timeout on connect. Hope someone will fix this as ad-hoc is kind of necessary for me :(

haxin

Nov 25, 2011
las vegas
www.702wifi.com
theres a few things that have to in place for ad-hoc connections to work. just modifying the wpa_supplicant is not the answer. first the linux kernel on your device has to have CONFIG_NETFILTER, CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES, and CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC features. These are required for tethering (ad-hoc) to work in linux/android. also binaries like iwconfig will need to be included. ad hoc connections from droid to droid are sketchy and flaky because there are so many different kernels, wireless cards, and third party apps on so many different devices. I see why so many people dont like to use bluetooth tethering. typical cellular data service data transfer rates are much slower than the theoretical limits of Bluetooth, making the potential higher bandwidth of WiFi irrelevant.

these are the theoretical maximum speeds for various Bluetooth versions

Bluetooth Basic Rate (BR) 1Mbit/s
Bluetooth 2 Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) 2-3Mbit/s
Bluetooth 3 + HS (high Speed) 24MBit/s

So on the face of it, Wifi will normally give you a faster connection however the limitation is probably going to be the speed of your phone's data connection.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
theres a few things that have to in place for ad-hoc connections to work. just modifying the wpa_supplicant is not the answer. first the linux kernel on your device has to have CONFIG_NETFILTER, CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES, and CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC features. These are required for tethering (ad-hoc) to work in linux/android. also binaries like iwconfig will need to be included. ad hoc connections from droid to droid are sketchy and flaky because there are so many different kernels, wireless cards, and third party apps on so many different devices.
Well, what I'm trying to achieve here is connect to an existing adhoc network which would already be doing the NAT, so you wouldn't need any of that on the client tablet.
Android doesn't use iwconfig by default.
Netfilter/iptables support would be in cases you'd in addition want to share your internet connection through the tablet.

For connecting to an existing adhoc network, it mostly boils down to wpa_supplicant and the kernel wifi driver, and maybe some android-space process :)
But seeing that it times-out while trying to connect even by using directly wpa_cli commands, that should eliminate the android space process from the loop.
That should leave only wpa_supplicant and the wifi driver.

Reactions: cattledogit
I've been trying a few JellyBean roms and they work quite smoothly I must say :)
but one feature that is still missing for me is the hability to connect to adhoc networks just like in old modded ICS roms.

I've patched and recompiled Team EOS3 wpa_supplicant that allows to see adhoc networks.

Unfortunately using Roach's default kernel it still doesn't list adhoc networks,

I'm not sure, but it might be related to the wifi module that comes with the rom / kernels.
If anyone knows what else should be changed in order to get it to work, feel free to contribute :)

If you want to give it a try and report what works or doesn't work with each rom / kernel combination of your choice, I've attached the modified wpa_supplicant.

Credits:

Didnt break the wifi card, but everything acted like the original file. No ad-hoc.

Seferi

Sep 16, 2011
With the file i can see the ad-hoc networks around but can not connect them...

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

dgcruzing

Nov 21, 2010
Mermaid Beach QLD
little off topic..but might help for those wanting a quick fix..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32719405
confirmed working for me..
Foxfi running on papasmuffs CM9 HTC EVO build..
using 'Pdanet Tablet' on the Asus Transformer stock rooted .27
Thanks for the thread as was going nuts playing with the old tether program..
Search is your friend

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
yea i cant tether from my phone because the script finds the ad-hoc network but it wont connect to it

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk HD

babai93

Feb 5, 2010
Sambalpur
Model : GT-I9000
Android V: 4.2.1
Baseband : I9000XXJVT
Karnel v: 3.0.60-Samaphore_JB_2.9.8s stratosk@sem.....
Build: Tsunami X 4.2

wpa_supplicant fix is not working for me

Credits:

dgcruzing

Nov 21, 2010
Mermaid Beach QLD

Babai,

Check out this thread.. I posted into EOS#4 thread the other day as I read somewhere some other's where having problems.. as you can see I am running the same phone as you.. but I am on Yanks kernel.. Look for my post in that thread and you will see the setup that worked for me.

I was reading through the posts today and through I come across some guy with tethering issues..
I just upgraded to #94 and are using this tether program with the SIII I9000, working great...

[App-Mod/Source] WifiTether for JB TouchWiz Roms
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34037922&postcount=1

That is Phone to Transformer.. not the other way around..]

Reactions: babai93

babai93

Feb 5, 2010
Sambalpur
So what I have to do now to get it works? I using windows mobile to share internet over WiFi hot spot.
Wants to access all my android mobile will get connected to the WiFi hot spot .

Babai,

Check out this thread.. I posted into EOS#4 thread the other day as I read somewhere some other's where having problems.. as you can see I am running the same phone as you.. but I am on Yanks kernel.. Look for my post in that thread and you will see the setup that worked for me.

dgcruzing

Nov 21, 2010
Mermaid Beach QLD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To test:
    - turn off wifi
    - su and remount /system rw
    - mv /system/bin/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant.ori

- gunzip the file
    - cp wpa_supplicant /system/bin/
    - chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    - turn wifi back on.

If you want to switch back to the previous wpa_supplicant:

- turn off wifi
    - mv /system/bin/wpa_supplicant.ori /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    - turn on wifi

Credits:
    Ah yeah, glad it could help still :)
    I don't think wpa_supplicant is much different from rom to rom, so good to know that one works on Nexus S too.
    Next is to figure out what might be missing either in the rom or in the wifi module or such...

I have the same problem with my Nokia phone, it can only do adhoc network for sharing its 3G connection.
    I can connect fine through it with bluetooth from a PC too, but android is not able to see the modem through bluetooth unfortunately.
    So I definitely need adhoc to work ;)

Maybe Ricardopvz or someone could participate for the JB roms if they have an idea what to modify next, I can have a look too.
    I'll have a look in what could be changed in the BCM wifi driver in the meantime.
    theres a few things that have to in place for ad-hoc connections to work. just modifying the wpa_supplicant is not the answer. first the linux kernel on your device has to have CONFIG_NETFILTER, CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES, and CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC features. These are required for tethering (ad-hoc) to work in linux/android. also binaries like iwconfig will need to be included. ad hoc connections from droid to droid are sketchy and flaky because there are so many different kernels, wireless cards, and third party apps on so many different devices.
    Well, what I'm trying to achieve here is connect to an existing adhoc network which would already be doing the NAT, so you wouldn't need any of that on the client tablet.
    Android doesn't use iwconfig by default.
    Netfilter/iptables support would be in cases you'd in addition want to share your internet connection through the tablet.

For connecting to an existing adhoc network, it mostly boils down to wpa_supplicant and the kernel wifi driver, and maybe some android-space process :)
    But seeing that it times-out while trying to connect even by using directly wpa_cli commands, that should eliminate the android space process from the loop.
    That should leave only wpa_supplicant and the wifi driver.

Babai,

I was reading through the posts today and through I come across some guy with tethering issues..
    I just upgraded to #94 and are using this tether program with the SIII I9000, working great...

[App-Mod/Source] WifiTether for JB TouchWiz Roms
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34037922&postcount=1

That is Phone to Transformer.. not the other way around..]