Thermal problem

Search This thread

croccodillo

Jun 29, 2012
Hallo all,

I'm using a Galaxy Camera for a commercial application, as a remote camera controlled via a TCP socket by a remote computer.
Everything is working -quite- fine, but I face a problem.

What I do is to collect camera preview frames (the frame you can also see on the camera screen), compress them to a jpeg format (they are given you as Boitmaps) and then ship them on the net.
The compression algorithm is quite heavy, even using internal Android APIs.
For this reason, the camera became hot in a really short time, and then thermal throttle kicks in.
With thermal throttle active, the CPU frequency drops down to about 800Mhz, and thus my application slow down and I cannot sustain anymore the needed compression/streaming flux.

Is there any way I can disable, modify, soften the Thermal throttle on this device?
Is there any file I can edit in manner to raise the threshold, or make the thermal throttle less aggressive?
Thermal throttle kicks in at around 48°C (calculated...), so I still have a large margin of safety.

bear also in mind I'm not using the battery anymore; it has been substituted by a fake battery, an aluminum block with the right dimensions, with a PCB where the battery contacts are, and an external stabilized power supply.

Please help me!

Ciao,
Giovanni