[How To] Fix md5 mismatch nandroid restore

Search This thread

ihtfp69

Feb 22, 2009
hey i tried the steps you guys gave buy i get

# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-10-30.08.23.53
cd: can't cd to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-10-30.08.23.53

this is what i did.

I opened terminal in OSX and typed "adb shell" after that i typed "cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-10-30.08.23.53" but it didnt work.

anyone know what i did wrong??

i also did "adb devices" in terminal and it detects my device. i check the su on my sgs and i see my computer, it sees it as unknown.

Check that the directory exists. Also check your dots and dashes. It may be this instead.

/mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-10-30-08.23.53

kimlindo

Jun 7, 2010
Uppsala
I got this yesterday on two different nandroids of two different ROMs. could it be that I copied the backups to my computer and then put them back when I wanted to restore, or what causes the mismatch?
I'm too lazy to have a go at adb (also I don't need the restore anymore), so I just want to know how to prevent this in the future. I didn't change anything, just a direct copy. can it just be that something happened during the transfer, to both backups?

s197

Jun 28, 2010

this is what i did.

I opened terminal in OSX and typed "adb shell" after that i typed "cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-10-30.08.23.53" but it didnt work.

i also did "adb devices" in terminal and it detects my device. i check the su on my sgs and i see my computer, it sees it as unknown.

On macs I think the command is ./adb shell

SLOflatlander

Jul 15, 2010
adb shell in mac is really kinda sketchy if your following the directions people give. unless your experienced in that sorta thing, i wouldnt recommend doing it. cause alot of the commands are different, you cant simply add ./ at the beginning of every command, for some sad reason it doesnt seem to work that way. at least for me that is. but yes, ./adb shell will get you in on a mac, other commands may just fail

s197

Jun 28, 2010
adb shell in mac is really kinda sketchy if your following the directions people give. unless your experienced in that sorta thing, i wouldnt recommend doing it. cause alot of the commands are different, you cant simply add ./ at the beginning of every command, for some sad reason it doesnt seem to work that way. at least for me that is. but yes, ./adb shell will get you in on a mac, other commands may just fail

You just need to add the "./" to an adb command. All other commands are exactly the same. Never had any problems running adb via mac.

crutoi

May 5, 2010
thank you so much for the fix :), spent the last week trying out all the roms out there and when i decided to go back to my fav rom got the error, ran the command specified and everything worked like a charm, still wondering what might have caused it, because i never renamed the backup folders.... my guess is its just some random data corruption...

any way, thanks again :)

UPDATE: actually it gets stuck on the white screen :(, guess i have to go to a different rom...

Last edited:

novagol

Jul 18, 2010
when i follow the guide in the first post, everything goes okay untill it gets to the last step, then i get the error:

md5sum: not found

i'm running win 7 x64, do i need to put the md5sum.exe (downloaded a random version i found googlin) into a specific folder? i tried putting it into all of the android-sdk directories and still no luck... any help greatly appreciated

EDIT: nevermind, solved it by using busybox :)

Last edited:

frankencat

Oct 13, 2009
Tampa Bay, Home of the Rays!
Good deal. Thanks man!

I figured I would post this fix here in case anyone else ran into this problem. This is assuming you did not change the folder names and let Clockworkmod create them. I haven't had it happen until today, but it's not a nice message to see when you are trying to do a restore.

Code:
Checking MD5 sums...
MD5 mismatch!

To fix this problem use the code below. Substitute the final folder name for the backup you need to fix.

Code:
adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

When that finishes, re-run the restore and everything should be fine.

NOTE: As rpearl stated, there could be something really wrong with your nandroid, so use this tutorial as a learning experience and not a fix-all. In my case, everything was fine after restoring. However, that may not always be the case. Do this with caution.

jh787

Dec 15, 2008
Hijust fixed this prob on my device. All you have to do is goin to your SD card andopen folder "clockworkmod" now you should have a folder called "backup" in this folder you should have a folder (dosen't matter what its called, preferably the name of youy back up) and within that folder should be the following: boot.img, system.img, cache.img, data.img, recovery.img and nandroid.md5. Thats it! is you have more folders that you have to go through to get to the .img files than thats the problem. make sure it is as above.... all the best!

Dec 10, 2010
I figured I would post this fix here in case anyone else ran into this problem. This is assuming you did not change the folder names and let Clockworkmod create them. I haven't had it happen until today, but it's not a nice message to see when you are trying to do a restore.

Code:
Checking MD5 sums...
MD5 mismatch!

To fix this problem use the code below. Substitute the final folder name for the backup you need to fix.

Code:
adb shell
# rm nandroid.md5

hi, just did this inside my HTC-wildfire's terminal app, instead using adb shell.
works fine, too,
thx!

Last edited:

rxforyour7

Dec 22, 2010

this is what i did.

I ran into this same problem and discovered the solution. I had my USB connection mode set to, "USB Mass Storage Mode." Change it to, "Charge Only" and then the commands should work smoothly. I hope this helps!

Reactions: Little Dragon

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Hijust fixed this prob on my device. All you have to do is goin to your SD card andopen folder "clockworkmod" now you should have a folder called "backup" in this folder you should have a folder (dosen't matter what its called, preferably the name of youy back up) and within that folder should be the following: boot.img, system.img, cache.img, data.img, recovery.img and nandroid.md5. Thats it! is you have more folders that you have to go through to get to the .img files than thats the problem. make sure it is as above.... all the best!

I also have .android_secure.img and datadata.img- 138 MB and 79 MB, respectively..

??

remy2501

Jul 27, 2010
only had this happen once.. due to renaming the folder to something memorable... got the error. then renamed back to original date and it worked.. this seems different tho..

edit... after looking around for any new stuff happening on the forums i seen that new recovery update. i'm guessing the issue stemmed from this.. disregard my original input..

Last edited:

Haws

Dec 20, 2010
md5 from windows

When making nandroid.md5 in windows, be sure to make hashes in lowercase and use linux newlines (only 0x0A instead of windows 0x0D0A). Newline should be also on the end of last content line.

line structure:
hash(two_spaces)filename.img(linux_newline)

line example:
2f44ab41dc02a7e8c3836ff57c690278 recovery.img

PS: i have bricked my streak second time two hours ago and did not have nandroid.mp5 for backups (coz nandroid backup did crash at firstboot.img and did not make hashes at all), but now it's running again using StreakMod_recovery.0.3.2.6-beta and custom made hashes :)

da305kratos

Dec 15, 2010
Miami
I did it, seemed to work...rebooted and it got stuck on the HTC screen for my CDMA Hero.... :/ ended up flashing ASOP again and redoing everything...

it was at the HTC screen for several minutes without doing anything or showing the bootscreen...should I have waited more there?

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for this great discussion guys.

But any idea why this might have happened to me? I did NOT rename my backup anything different from what Clockworkmod names them and I did NOT find ANY spaces in the folder name of the backup.

All other files also seem to be at the right level of the directory level. So, any idea how I can fix this? I would love to restore one of my backups that I lost this way :(.

Additionally, how can we prevent this from ever happening in the future? Especially in my case, where I did not rename anything, and no spaces are to be found?

Thanks for your help guys, you guys are awesome :D!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    Checking MD5 sums...
    MD5 mismatch!

Code:
    adb shell
    # rm nandroid.md5

NOTE: As rpearl stated, there could be something really wrong with your nandroid, so use this tutorial as a learning experience and not a fix-all. In my case, everything was fine after restoring. However, that may not always be the case. Do this with caution.
    I had a md5 mismatch and was freaking out. Turned out that the folder name for my backup couldn't have spaces in it...
    The best solution for such a problem, if I ever happen to face one is:

1. Create an empty text document on your desktop.
    2. Rename it to "nandroid.md5"
    3. Place this renamed empty text document (nandroid.md5) in your clockworkmod backup folder.
    4. Try restoring again. It should work.

PS:
    What basically has been done here is that the CWM has been made to skip MD5 checking by placing an empty md5 in the backup folder. This is the only solution I adopt whenever a md5 error is seen. CWM keeps omitting the nandroid.md5 file while creating backups!

PPS:
    A humble thanks is very much appreciated if I have been of any help to anyone! :D
    when i follow the guide in the first post, everything goes okay untill it gets to the last step, then i get the error:

md5sum: not found

i'm running win 7 x64, do i need to put the md5sum.exe (downloaded a random version i found googlin) into a specific folder? i tried putting it into all of the android-sdk directories and still no luck... any help greatly appreciated

EDIT: nevermind, solved it by using busybox :)

Just to elaborate on this, if folks are also seeing this same error (md5sum: not found) when they get to the last step in the guide, just repeat the process, but this time on the last step, use the command:

Code:
    # busybox md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

this worked for me
    Worked like a charm, thanks a bunch OP. Had a recent backup generate this md5 mismatch error, you saved me a lot of work.

For noobs: ADB commands are entered via an ADB shell.

1. Download the Android SDK here, and the Java SE Development Kit here. Install Java kit FIRST, then Android SDK.

2. Ensure you have the Android USB drivers installed, which you should if you have already rooted and performed a nandroid backup, whether you used Amon RA or ClockworkMod Recovery.

3. On your device, enable USB debugging and when you plugin your phone to your PC, make sure you select 'Charge Only'.

4. In the Android SDK, you will have to select and download the latest SDK Platform-tools, and you can safely ignore the other software packages for the purposes of this issue.

5. Once you've done that, open a command prompt, browse over to the directory where you installed the Android SDK, and in the current version, you will have to browse to the \Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools folder. Once you are there, type in 'adb shell' without quotes.

6. You can now enter adb commands. You are entering commands as root if your cursor is a pound sign '#'. If it isn't, type in 'su' without quotes, which requests superuser access. Your phone's screen will prompt you to allow or deny root access to the command shell. Allow it, and you are good to go.

***This is all from memory, so if I've missed something, feel free to correct.