[ROOT] Photon-Torpedo Direct v1.1 (8/10/12) w/How To Video(New Video Added)

Search This thread

mof9336

Jun 5, 2007
I figured I would put this together as alot of folks seemed to be having trouble with the Photon Torpedo Method of rooting. Since Ive been nuked with the new update I put together a torpedo package that is mostly scripted so it should be nice and easy to install.

Standard: I am not responsible if you brick your phone!

Who Should Use This?
- Users that have devices that are not rooted
- Will work on all builds up to 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13

Who Should Not Use This?
- Users that are already rooted.

Whats Included?
- Newest su Binary as of 8/7/12
- Newest Superuser app
- Busybox Installation
- Root Cleaner (will clean up old root installs or unroot current ones) {NEW! with v1.1 8/9/12}

What Does This Do?
- Installs All Components Needed for Root Access

What This Doesn't Do?
- Unlock Your Bootloader
- Make You More Popular

Instructions
- Download
- Unzip
- Make sure Moto Drivers are installed
- Make sure phone is in USB Debugging mode
- Run Photon-Torpedo Direct v1.1.bat (Sorry Mac users Windows only at this time)
- Follow on screen prompts

There are 5 commands that need to be typed(2 of them are exit) and they are displayed in the script.

Tips
- When running the photon-torpedo.sh it will throw an error (dont panic) but it doesnt matter as long as it ends up at a # prompt
- When running the kill-su.sh in the Root Cleaner it will throw a mount error (again dont panic) the phone will remount when it reboots so no biggie but Im working on it

DOWNLOAD

How to Video by qbking77

How to Video by wwjoshdew

Last edited:

mof9336

Jun 5, 2007
download ver 1.1 ver 1.0 had an error in it.

before rooting if you have a busybox installed it needs to be removed via the root cleaner.

Last edited:

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura

mof9336

Jun 5, 2007
Now that I reread your post the error is normal as long as the command prompt after the error is a # and not a $ if its a # just continue with the commands.

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
Now that I reread your post the error is normal as long as the command prompt after the error is a # and not a $ if its a # just continue with the commands.

I did continue and finish however when I tried to root it told me I still had busybox installed and to unroot.

Is there anyway I can use bootstrap recovery without being rooted so j can just reflash?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mof9336

Jun 5, 2007
Did the phone reboot? Was there an error when the ./kill-su.sh command was ran?

And no you need to be rooted.

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I figured I would put this together as alot of folks seemed to be having trouble with the Photon Torpedo Method of rooting. Since Ive been nuked with the new update I put together a torpedo package that is mostly scripted so it should be nice and easy to install.

Standard: I am not responsible if you brick your phone!

Who Should Use This?
    - Users that have devices that are not rooted
    - Will work on all builds up to 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13

Who Should Not Use This?
    - Users that are already rooted.

Whats Included?
    - Newest su Binary as of 8/7/12
    - Newest Superuser app
    - Busybox Installation
    - Root Cleaner (will clean up old root installs or unroot current ones) {NEW! with v1.1 8/9/12}

What Does This Do?
    - Installs All Components Needed for Root Access

What This Doesn't Do?
    - Unlock Your Bootloader
    - Make You More Popular

Instructions
    - Download
    - Unzip
    - Make sure Moto Drivers are installed
    - Make sure phone is in USB Debugging mode
    - Run Photon-Torpedo Direct v1.1.bat (Sorry Mac users Windows only at this time)
    - Follow on screen prompts

There are 5 commands that need to be typed(2 of them are exit) and they are displayed in the script.

Tips
    - When running the photon-torpedo.sh it will throw an error (dont panic) but it doesnt matter as long as it ends up at a # prompt
    - When running the kill-su.sh in the Root Cleaner it will throw a mount error (again dont panic) the phone will remount when it reboots so no biggie but Im working on it

DOWNLOAD

How to Video by qbking77

How to Video by wwjoshdew

I made a video on how to root the Motorola Photon 4G using your root method. Feel free to check it out and leave your honest feedback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5r3Bo5dvHM

Video has been added to the OP. Thanks.
    I made a video on how to root the Motorola Photon 4G using your root method. Feel free to check it out and leave your honest feedback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5r3Bo5dvHM

99 percent certain there are no CM roms for 2.3.5..

There are some stripped down bootstrap roms for 2.3.5 but nothing using custom kernel due to 2.3.5 having a locked down boot loader....

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium