HOW TO: Flash Voodoo Kernels and more... <LOOK HERE FIRST

Search This thread

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
Ok...I know this can be a complicated process if you run into issues...so here is a detailed how to...Make sure and READ thru the WHOLE post!!!!!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. ROOT, Flash CWM Recovery
2. Create a FULL nandroid backup
3. Download a kernel of choice - links below
4. Put the kernel on root of sd, or you can leave it in download folder, but DON'T rename the file
5. Boot into Clockwork MOD recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually- hold volume up and down at same time and press power button, then select "apply sdcard: update.zip"
6. In recovery select "Install zip from sd card"
7. Select "Choose zip from sd card"
8. Navigate to the kernel file and select it
9. Let it install, it will take a few minutes...screen will go weird (black with big blue letters) then take you back to recovery.
10. Reboot phone
IMPORTANT: THIS BOOT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME...MAY BE 5-25 MINUTES...WAIT IT OUT. DO NOT PULL BATTERY. EVEN IF IT IS AT A BLACK SCREEN WITH SOFT KEYS LIT UP, DO NOT TOUCH IT. YOU WILL HEAR FEMALE VOICE. THIS IS NORMAL.
11. Once phone boots, download SetCPU from market and set the slider to desired Max. Do not select "Set on boot" and use Conservative mode.

ENJOY!!!!!

KERNEL LINKS:
- jt1134 - [RELEASE] Voodoo (v0.2) ext4 lagfix for Fascinate! Now with AOSP boot animations!
- Dirrk - [KERNEL] Dirrk v01 Voodoo lagfix OC/UV - For Dirrk OC kernels, use the D012 kernels, not D01: D012 - Dirrk > Open the link>select my folder>the samsung and you will see the D012 kernels...

***If you are using jt1134 kernels with boot animation ability, here is how to add it. Find the boot animation you like, download it to your phone. Do not unzip it. Use Root Explorer or Astro File Manager and copy the bootanimation.zip file into either system/media or data/local. Reboot phone to test out.

HOW TO DISABLE VOODOO LAGFIX
1. Use Astro File Manager or Root Explorer app...open the app
2. Navigate to sdcard/Voodoo folder
3. Create a new blank FILE named disable_lagfix....NOT A FOLDER
4. Reboot phone
IMPROTANT: THIS BOOT WILL TAKE EVEN LONGER THAN THE INSTALLATION OF VOODOO KERNEL BOOT...AGAIN, WAIT IT OUT!!!!! DO NOT PULL BATTERY.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANY OF VOODOO KERNELS, VERSION 0.2+, YOU CAN FLASH ANY OF THE VOODOO OC KERNELS OVER...INCLUDING JT'S OVER DIRRK'S AND VICE VERSA...IF YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO A REGULAR KERNEL, YOU MUST DISABLE VOODOO FIRST...ALSO IF YOU WANT TO CREATE A FULL NANDROID BACKUP AS WELL, YOU MUST DISABLE VOODOO LAGFIX. IF YOU BACKUP WITH VOODOO ENABLED, YOUR DATA WILL NOT BACKUP. IF YOU RESTORE YOUR NANDROID BACKUP, THE KERNELS ARE NOT RESTORED.

If you ran into trouble, start HERE:
- Adrynalyne - How to completely remove Voodoo Lagfix
- Odin Files to get you back to stock

VERY IMPORTANT:

-Battery issue can be because your phone is too hot...pull battery and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes...then boot up and see if its there.
-IF uninstalling v0.1, create a FILE in sdcard/voodoo and NOT a folder...
-Once uninstalled v0.1, DELETE the disable_lagfix file, before flashing v0.2...
-Boots take may FOREVER in between changes, especially after uninstalling.....WAIT it out. It may be 5 minutes, may be 15. Don't start pulling batteries and using Odin just yet.
-READ all instructions carefully and FULLY....
-And lastly, ALWAYS do a nandroid backup.

:)

Last edited:

CDODGE

Apr 19, 2009
Wow. Great write up. Thanks a ton for this

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Jdella681

Sep 23, 2010
awwww man, if only this was posted this morning I wouldn't have called for a doa swap.. lol i thought my phone was fubar-ed earlier b/c of the oc kernel.. i finally got everything fixed the hard way by wiping and loading stock kernels.. that didn't work too well either.. long story short i got everything working but after i called for a swap and before this posted lol.. great post!

nrw2001

Nov 15, 2007
wish this was in place before i started flashing. lol. i had to learn the hard way. many flashes later i have learned what to do but this definately deserves a sticky so others dont have to go thru what luckly only took me a day to figure out but could have taken longer.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
I've been running the 1200 kernal for a few days with no problems. I do have setcpu set to load on boot.....just curious if I should change it? And why? All seems OK.

saps

Sep 17, 2010
I've been running the 1200 kernal for a few days with no problems. I do have setcpu set to load on boot.....just curious if I should change it? And why? All seems OK.

Once you confirm that its completely stable even Dirrks says its OK to set on boot. You just wanna be 100% sure it is before you get caught in an endless boot loop. But yeah a couple days is long enough to ensure stability; go ahead and lock it in if you want

Bull174

Jun 17, 2010
Is this rom and kernel really that much better than stock?

I guess I'm asking is battery life better and is the speed of the phone better with the lag fix??

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
I have Voodoo .2, and I set the bootanimation in both folders, both in system/media, and data/local, and the standard animation keeps playing anyway.

Anyone have any ideas ????

ksizzle9

Jun 17, 2010
Knoxville
Bull174
Yes this kernel with voodoo is that much better. Voodoo isn't that BS one click lag fix. Its a real permanent solution." Basically" the same filesystem all other phones come with.quadrant can do 17-1800 which isn't inflated. Its what the galaxy can actiually do. And that just with eclair(2.1) battery life is the same. The phone will likely never lag on u again. And actually with a normal filesystem its prolly the fastest smoothest running phone out there. Would easily put the second generation snapdragons to Shame. If u try it u will be hooked. It is *VERY IMPORTANT* that before u flash any other kernels that u disable ur lagfix first. This can also be done easily with the app "voodoo toggle" in the market. If you like your phone now you will love it now. Take the plunge. You wont regret it. Just do your reading and follow instructions on how to install and remove voodoo to a T and you will be fine.

LX.SF

Oct 3, 2010
Wound up having to restore an old voodoo, the v. 0.2 standard clocking one, from a jt's 1.2 OC kernel. The restore worked fine, but I'm currently trying to disable in order to flash stock kernel and a clean ROM and then get voodoo back. The boot up has been going on for about an hour, heard to voice at the beginning and about 20 minutes in. How much longer will it take? I'm getting kinda nervous as I really don't want to have a bricked phone on my hands.

EDIT: It was about 2 hours and I pulled and went to go do an odin restore. The phone flashed PIT, system, kernel and recovery all successfully, I wiped everything from both clockwork and the blue 2e recovery screen, but now I can't access clockwork nor does the phone boot, however it does appear in adb. Does anybody know what I should do?

EDIT2: Reflashed all the files from Odin, got it to boot both into clockwork and pure stock. Gonna go flash a nandroid and get my setup back.

Last edited:

xsalientx

Oct 12, 2010
I followed each and every direction to the last word, however I can't seem to overclock my phone. I installed the jt1334 kernel, but the max i can go is 1ghz (1000000mhz). help?

EDIT: In addition, I did both a linpack and Quadrant Standard test. my linpack score was "MFLOPS:8.142" and my Quadrant
Standard score is "950".... i don't understand what I did wrong as I see others have QS scores of 1600+ at least 1200+...

Last edited:

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
I followed each and every direction to the last word, however I can't seem to overclock my phone. I installed the jt1334 kernel, but the max i can go is 1ghz (1000000mhz). help?

EDIT: In addition, I did both a linpack and Quadrant Standard test. my linpack score was "MFLOPS:8.142" and my Quadrant
Standard score is "950".... i don't understand what I did wrong as I see others have QS scores of 1600+ at least 1200+...

Have you downloaded SetCPU? What are you using to overclock?

kupdegrove

Oct 12, 2010
I have Voodoo .2, and I set the bootanimation in both folders, both in system/media, and data/local, and the standard animation keeps playing anyway.

Anyone have any ideas ????

I have the same issue. I thought it was originally because I extracted the bootanimation.zip out of the downloaded file but renaming the original file didn't work either.

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
I have the same issue. I thought it was originally because I extracted the bootanimation.zip out of the downloaded file but renaming the original file didn't work either.

If its just the voodoo 0.2 file, then boot animation wont work. It has to be the 1000_bootabimation kernel or the 1200_bootanimation one. ;)

xsalientx

Oct 12, 2010
I actually fixed it somehow... I don't necessarily know what I did though. But thank you for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok...I know this can be a complicated process if you run into issues...so here is a detailed how to...Make sure and READ thru the WHOLE post!!!!!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. ROOT, Flash CWM Recovery
    2. Create a FULL nandroid backup
    3. Download a kernel of choice - links below
    4. Put the kernel on root of sd, or you can leave it in download folder, but DON'T rename the file
    5. Boot into Clockwork MOD recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually- hold volume up and down at same time and press power button, then select "apply sdcard: update.zip"
    6. In recovery select "Install zip from sd card"
    7. Select "Choose zip from sd card"
    8. Navigate to the kernel file and select it
    9. Let it install, it will take a few minutes...screen will go weird (black with big blue letters) then take you back to recovery.
    10. Reboot phone
    IMPORTANT: THIS BOOT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME...MAY BE 5-25 MINUTES...WAIT IT OUT. DO NOT PULL BATTERY. EVEN IF IT IS AT A BLACK SCREEN WITH SOFT KEYS LIT UP, DO NOT TOUCH IT. YOU WILL HEAR FEMALE VOICE. THIS IS NORMAL.
    11. Once phone boots, download SetCPU from market and set the slider to desired Max. Do not select "Set on boot" and use Conservative mode.

ENJOY!!!!!

KERNEL LINKS:
    - jt1134 - [RELEASE] Voodoo (v0.2) ext4 lagfix for Fascinate! Now with AOSP boot animations!
    - Dirrk - [KERNEL] Dirrk v01 Voodoo lagfix OC/UV - For Dirrk OC kernels, use the D012 kernels, not D01: D012 - Dirrk > Open the link>select my folder>the samsung and you will see the D012 kernels...

***If you are using jt1134 kernels with boot animation ability, here is how to add it. Find the boot animation you like, download it to your phone. Do not unzip it. Use Root Explorer or Astro File Manager and copy the bootanimation.zip file into either system/media or data/local. Reboot phone to test out.

HOW TO DISABLE VOODOO LAGFIX
    1. Use Astro File Manager or Root Explorer app...open the app
    2. Navigate to sdcard/Voodoo folder
    3. Create a new blank FILE named disable_lagfix....NOT A FOLDER
    4. Reboot phone
    IMPROTANT: THIS BOOT WILL TAKE EVEN LONGER THAN THE INSTALLATION OF VOODOO KERNEL BOOT...AGAIN, WAIT IT OUT!!!!! DO NOT PULL BATTERY.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANY OF VOODOO KERNELS, VERSION 0.2+, YOU CAN FLASH ANY OF THE VOODOO OC KERNELS OVER...INCLUDING JT'S OVER DIRRK'S AND VICE VERSA...IF YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO A REGULAR KERNEL, YOU MUST DISABLE VOODOO FIRST...ALSO IF YOU WANT TO CREATE A FULL NANDROID BACKUP AS WELL, YOU MUST DISABLE VOODOO LAGFIX. IF YOU BACKUP WITH VOODOO ENABLED, YOUR DATA WILL NOT BACKUP. IF YOU RESTORE YOUR NANDROID BACKUP, THE KERNELS ARE NOT RESTORED.

If you ran into trouble, start HERE:
    - Adrynalyne - How to completely remove Voodoo Lagfix
    - Odin Files to get you back to stock

VERY IMPORTANT:

-Battery issue can be because your phone is too hot...pull battery and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes...then boot up and see if its there.
    -IF uninstalling v0.1, create a FILE in sdcard/voodoo and NOT a folder...
    -Once uninstalled v0.1, DELETE the disable_lagfix file, before flashing v0.2...
    -Boots take may FOREVER in between changes, especially after uninstalling.....WAIT it out. It may be 5 minutes, may be 15. Don't start pulling batteries and using Odin just yet.
    -READ all instructions carefully and FULLY....
    -And lastly, ALWAYS do a nandroid backup.

:)