[INFO][KERNEL] GLaDOS by Ezekeel | GSM / Verizon / Sprint

Search This thread

nexusphone

Dec 5, 2011
Couple of questions could we get the boot animation seperate? I love it. Also does the hot plug feature turn the CPU off while the screen is off like Franco's? Thanks bros
Flash the attached file in CWM

Rascarlo made the bootanimation for Ezekeel

GLaDOS_new_GN.gif

Attachments

• GLaDOS_GN_BootAnimation.zip
    392.4 KB · Views: 19

phone_user

Nov 13, 2011
V1.12 released

☞click GLaDOS for Galaxy Nexus (aka Nexus Prime)

Ezekeel's commentary on that

I have released GLaDOS V1.12 adding support for changing the color multipliers with Color Control (see post #3 for details) and fixing an issue with Custom Voltage.

GLaDOS-V1.12
  • Added support for changing the color multipliers with Color Control.
  • Fixed issues with Custom Voltage.

Reactions: nexus_junkie

minipaolo

Jun 6, 2011
Trying this kernel for the first time, coming from franco's.

Any suggestion about:

1) best governor for battery life (I don't really care about benchmarks or games, I'm just looking for something smooth with excellent battery life)

2) Screen colours?

3) Related apps to manage kernel settings?

Thank you for your help! :eek:

xdraw

Mar 4, 2010
1) WHEATLEY! :D
2) no idea haven't touched those settings
3) codename android rom has them built in as do others, however i believe ezekeel might be writing an app to control the kernel settings(?)

xdraw

Mar 4, 2010
Read ezekeels commentaries. They cover and explain pretty much every feature of his kernel!

slayp00n

Jun 2, 2010
Guys, I know dumb q but I wrote an init.d script for this kernel but it doesnt execute? How do I get it to run?

This is the script I wrote:

echo 117 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/mpu_ocvalue
echo 107 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/core_ocvalue
echo 1 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/gpu_performance
echo "4000000000 4000000000 4000000000" > /sys/class/misc/colorcontrol/multiplier
echo "-2 0 5" > /sys/class/misc/colorcontrol/v1_offset

Last edited:

phone_user

Nov 13, 2011
V1.13 released

I have released GLaDOS V1.13 adding a safety feature to Color Control to prevent the color multipliers being raised above the stock factory settings.

The color multipliers control the brightness of the corresponding base color, so scaling up/down the multipliers by the same value just increases/decreases the screen brightness. Increasing the multipliers above the factory settings will cause the display to run at a higher brightness as intended by Samsung. I talked to supercurio and he confirmed that this could increase the rate of burn-in and since the GN display already suffers from burn-in we want to make sure not to make it even worse.

GLaDOS-V1.13
  • Added a safety feature to Color Control to prevent the color multipliers to be raised above the stock values.

phone_user

Nov 13, 2011
V1.14 released

I have released GLaDOS V1.14.

The OMAP4 processor build in the GN come out of production in different qualities and some chips are able to run higher frequencies than others. To account for this the processors are binned in the factory and the information about the quality is fused into a certain chip register. Among other things this information contains the MPU DPLL trim value which (indirectly) limits the maximum MPU frequency which the chip will be able to support.

Overriding this factory-set MPU DPLL trim value removes the hard limit for the maximum MPU frequency. For example, the chip build my GN device is binned for a maximum MPU frequency of 1.2GHz and the maximum frequency I was able to reach with LiveOC was 1.32GHz (there seems to be some leeway). After overriding the trim value I was able to achieve 1.62GHz.

screenshot2012021601041.png

GLaDOS-V1.14
  • Override factory-set limitations for the MPU greatly increasing the OC potential.

monkey hung

Mar 2, 2011
I can't even OC with the 1.14 kernel. My max is only 1.2Ghz. What's up with that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

phone_user

Nov 13, 2011
V1.15 released

I have released GLaDOS V1.15 adding a 1.4GHz MPU frequency slot and support to Color Control for disabling the safety preventing the color multipliers being raised above the stock values.

Since I think that the kernel is in good shape now I will concentrate on getting that kernel downloader and settings app started. So next update might take a while.

GLaDOS-V1.15
  • Added 1.4GHz MPU frequency slot.
  • Added support to Color Control for disabling the safety preventing the color multipliers being raised above the stock values.

Gregus59

Jul 27, 2010
Maubeuge
2 days I use your V1.15 and it's seems to be the best kernel I being used !
Best results in Quadrant benchmark, smooth, stable and an amazing battery life.. Very happy to know you master dev... ;)

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
i'm thinking of downloading this for the color control.

my screen has a very bad yellow/warm tint when looking directly at it, but at any other angle the colors are nice and cool, and white is actually white.

will this kernel and the color control help me with this?

additionally, i don't want any overclocking or anything to hurt the battery life or possibly damage the lifespan of the phone/screen. if someone can ease those concerns i'd be appreciative.

deezid

Jun 26, 2010
Viersen
i'm thinking of downloading this for the color control.

my screen has a very bad yellow/warm tint when looking directly at it, but at any other angle the colors are nice and cool, and white is actually white.

will this kernel and the color control help me with this?

additionally, i don't want any overclocking or anything to hurt the battery life or possibly damage the lifespan of the phone/screen. if someone can ease those concerns i'd be appreciative.

Open root explorer:
Go to /sys/class/misc/colorcontrol
Open multiplier with an editor.
Change the 3 values to: 2204318071 2004318071 2354318071
save and open v1_offset
Change the 3 values to -4 0 4
save
enjoy!
:D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    V1.xx for ICS - the last V1.34
    V2.xx for JB

584673157.png

Ezekeel is the dev of GLaDOS kernels for Android Devices​

◇ The Official Thread ◇

☞click GSM

☞click LTE

Ezekeel said:
    Before you ask... Yes this kernel will work with your Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

I'm a general user, just link for the XDA members' information

To download does not require registering, it's Rootzwiki forum

Ezekeel said:
    "Permission is granted to distribute these zips and links on non-English speaking sites and forums. However permission is not granted to distribute these zips and links on sites and forums with English as their main language; instead please link to this thread."

536964881.gif

Features:

Features:
    - Based on stock Android kernel Jelly Bean 4.1.1 JRO03C
    - Live OC version 2
    - Custom Voltage version 3
    - Battery Life eXtender (BLX) version 1
    - SLQB memory allocator
    - Color Control version 4 (based on supercurio's idea)
    - CPUfreq governor 'Wheatley'
    - Additional 1.4GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz MPU frequency slots
    - Sound Control version 1
    - Temp Control version 1
    - Vibrator Control version 1
    - FSync Control version 1
    - USB Fast Charge
    - Gamma control
    - WiFi low latency power mode
    - CIFS (as module)
    - TUN (as module)
    - NFS client + server (as module)
    - NTFS read/write support (as module)
    - Cleaned out all unnecessary kernel features and drivers
    - Various other tweaks​

V1.4 updated
    GLaDOS-V1.4
    • Added 'Wheatley' CPUfreq governor and made it default.

Ezekeel's commentary on V1.4

wheatley05jpg3ceb65945f.jpg

I have release GLaDOS V1.4 including my new CPUfreq governor 'Wheatley' which is the new default governor.

The previous benchmarks of the usage of the C4 state for different activities have shown that for 'light' tasks like browsing the internet, reading (for example emails or eBooks) and the average app the device spends about 40% of the time in C4 with acceptable average residencies of around 11ms. For more demanding tasks like games and video playback the C4 state is still being used however the efficiency is reduced due to the low average residencies of below 5ms (considering that the wakeup latency is 1.3ms).

I have run a few tests and as it turns out, for demanding tasks the efficiency of the C4 state is significantly reduced due to these low residency times (= large number of wakeups) to a point that the good old frequency scaling is indeed more efficient with larger battery savings. So unfortunately, relying on the C4 state alone for power savings for all tasks is not a good option.

However, unfortunately we also cannot simply use one the available standard governors since always try the minimize the frequency without taking account that this behaviour diminishes the efficiency of the C4 state since it hinders a proper race-to-idle. So taking advantage of this knowledge what a good governor should do, is using the maximum frequency whenever the C4 state is properly used with acceptable average residencies and only scale down when the average residencies get too low (or the C4 is not used at all, of course).

Building on the classic 'ondemand' governor I implemented this idea in my new Wheatley governor. The governor has two additional parameters:

target_residency - The minimum average residency in µs which is considered acceptable for a proper efficient usage of the C4 state. Default is 10000 = 10ms.

allowed_misses - The number sampling intervals in a row the average residency is allowed to be lower than target_residency before the governor reduces the frequency. This ensures that the governor is not too aggressive in scaling down the frequency and reduces it just because some background process was temporarily causing a larger number of wakeups. The default is 5.

I have run some benchmarks to make sure that Wheatley works as planned and does not hinder the proper C4 usage for task where the C4 can be used properly (as seen in the previous benchmarks).

glados_1.4.png

For internet browsing the time spend in C4 has increased by 10% points and the average residency has increased by about 1ms. I guess these differences are mostly due to the different browsing behaviour (I spend the last time more multi-tabbing). But at least we can say that Wheatley does not interfere with the proper use of the C4 state during 'light' tasks. For music playback with screen off the time spend in C4 is practically unchanged, however the average residency is reduced from around 30ms to around 18ms, but this is still more than acceptable.

So the results show that Wheatley works as intended and ensures that the C4 state is used whenever the task allows a proper efficient usage of the C4 state. For more demanding tasks which cause a large number of wakeups and prevent the efficient usage of the C4 state, the governor resorts to the next best power saving mechanism and scales down the frequency. So with the new highly-flexible Wheatley governor one can have the best of both worlds.

Wheatley for governor!
    Yeah I appreciate what rootzwiki does for the developers. It definitely favors them, it just hurts the users because they are unaware of these great and talented developer's work that's being exclusive to rootzwiki. Because, lets be honest, rootzwiki is nice to developers, but its not as popular as XDA causing a lack of awareness of releases.

I already feel this because the rom I use gets updated the fastest on rootzwiki. The xda thread of the rom is 1-2 builds behind.

That's just my take on rootzwiki. It definitely makes people go to their site. But I just don't think its right to split the community between the two websites.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

You can be member of XDA and RW at the same time. So I do not see how this is splitting up the community. You can link XDA threads on RW and vice versa. No matter what forum you are currently on, the other always is only one click away. All barriers you might see that split up the community, are in reality only in your mind.

I agree that it can cause a little more effort for the users since they might have to check two forums for updates. But let me be frank here, compared to all the effort I invested in writing this kernel this tiny bit of extra work for the users is hardly anything to complain about. If you have the time to play around with custom kernels and ROMs on your device, you got the time to check a second forum once in a while for updates.

◆ Reset GLaDOS Control

If the device can't boot due to inappropriate settings, install Reset_GLaDOS.Control.app.zip in CWM recovery.

(deleting /data/data/aperture.ezekeel.gladoscontrol/shared_prefs/)

Reset_GLaDOS.Control.app.zip

◆ Switching Kernels

Switching from one kernel to the other dev's kernel, flash Preparation.for.Installing.Kernels.zip in Recovery before flashing the kernel

(the residues from previously installed kernels are cleaned)

Preparation.for.Installing.Kernels.zip

◆ Adding init.d to the existing ramdisk

In GN forum, most of ROMs have init.d function (busybox run-parts)

But Stock and Peter Alfonso do not have that

Flashable zip in recovery, Adding init.d to the existing ramdisk and busybox installer

GN_Add_init.d.zip

Busybox_v1.20.1_CM9.zip

or

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox

◆ ICS Stock Kernel - 4.0.3 / 4.0.4 compatible

◆ Jelly Bean Stock Kernel - 4.1 / 4.1.1 compatible
    4.1 JRN84D

boot.img format

4.1_JRN84D_boot.img.zip

Any Kernel format

4.1_JRN84D_AnyKernel.zip
    4.1.1 JRO03C

boot.img format

4.1.1_JRO03C_boot.img.zip

Any Kernel format

4.1.1_JRO03C_Any.Kernel.zip

579013459.png
    V1.14 released

I have released GLaDOS V1.14.

The OMAP4 processor build in the GN come out of production in different qualities and some chips are able to run higher frequencies than others. To account for this the processors are binned in the factory and the information about the quality is fused into a certain chip register. Among other things this information contains the MPU DPLL trim value which (indirectly) limits the maximum MPU frequency which the chip will be able to support.

Overriding this factory-set MPU DPLL trim value removes the hard limit for the maximum MPU frequency. For example, the chip build my GN device is binned for a maximum MPU frequency of 1.2GHz and the maximum frequency I was able to reach with LiveOC was 1.32GHz (there seems to be some leeway). After overriding the trim value I was able to achieve 1.62GHz.

screenshot2012021601041.png

GLaDOS-V1.14
    • Override factory-set limitations for the MPU greatly increasing the OC potential.