??? New SIM card vs. Old SIM card ???

Search This thread

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
I noticed that the SIM cards keep changing every so often.

The new SIM cards have a smaller gold-metal surface area, whereas the older ones have a bigger gold-metal surface area.

Any ideas why?

Is there any benefit to swap out your SIM card to the newest? The SIM that comes in the box has a smaller gold-surface area.

(When was using previously using the iphone, my SIM was pretty beat up from switching phones all the time and the gold-metal part practically had indentations, which did give me reception problems. When I swapped it out with a new one at the store it did fix the problem. Obviously a surface contact problem.)

* Picture attached below *

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
I noticed that the SIM cards keep changing every so often.

The new SIM cards have a smaller gold-metal surface area, whereas the older ones have a bigger gold-metal surface area.

Any ideas why?

Is there any benefit to swap out your SIM card to the newest? The SIM that comes in the box has a smaller gold-surface area.

(When was using previously using the iphone, my SIM was pretty beat up from switching phones all the time and the gold-metal part practically had indentations, which did give me reception problems. When I swapped it out with a new one at the store it did fix the problem. Obviously a surface contact problem.)

* Picture attached below *

Here's the pic.

Attachments

• SIMsim.jpg
    SIMsim.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3,803

newspeak

Aug 5, 2009
Portland, Ore
I did have a weird situation where replacing the sim actually somehow increased my data speeds...the old sim was only a year old ...but i ain't complaining

didn't really notice any less surface area tho

JD76

Jul 16, 2010
Queens, NY
I swapped out my 1 year old SIM as well and now im getting 3G signals in my house whereas my old sim would drop 3G service more often.

Aphotix

Apr 5, 2008
There is typically no need to replace your sim card unless you are having problems with it (ie not registering on the network.)

However older sim cards have a restriction on how many times they can register on the network, and after they hit the limit the phone will stop connecting, so if you want to prevent this issue (usually takes a couple years, and is a lot more likely in areas where your signal drops, for people who travel a lot, and in 3G coverages areas where you swap back and forth between 3G and 2G) you can use one of the newer sim cards. To Identify whether your sim is the newer variant with no registration restriction look at the back where the gold contacts are, if its a newer sim it will say in small lettering "TMXXXX" (where X is a number, ie TM4322) and it will also have an expiration date printed (it must be activated by this date or it becomes unusable.)

In terms of 2G/3G the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it.

Having had said that, if you are having connection issues it could just be a defective sim card, to check, just place the sim in a phone that isn't having any connectivity problems, if it starts having problems, replace your sim.

In terms of the digit you highlighted in that picture, I believe it has to do with the manufacture year, although if I remember correctly its digits 4 and 5 that make up that information, but otherwise isn't anything important to a consumer.

Last edited:
Reactions: zedaycee

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
There is typically no need to replace your sim card unless you are having problems with it (ie not registering on the network.)

However older sim cards have a restriction on how many times they can register on the network, and after they hit the limit the phone will stop connecting, so if you want to prevent this issue (usually takes a couple years, and is a lot more likely in areas where your signal drops, for people who travel a lot, and in 3G coverages areas where you swap back and forth between 3G and 2G) you can use one of the newer sim cards. To Identify whether your sim is the newer variant with no registration restriction look at the back where the gold contacts are, if its a newer sim it will say in small lettering "TMXXXX" (where X is a number, ie TM4322) and it will also have an expiration date printed (it must be activated by this date or it becomes unusable.)

In terms of 2G/3G the sim card itself and its age should not make a difference as the capability to connect to those networks is dependent on the phone, not the sim. You can think of a sim card as a gateway that connects your phone to the billing system and authenticates it.

Having had said that, if you are having connection issues it could just be a defective sim card, to check, just place the sim in a phone that isn't having any connectivity problems, if it starts having problems, replace your sim.

In terms of the digit you highlighted in that picture, I believe it has to do with the manufacture year, although if I remember correctly its digits 4 and 5 that make up that information, but otherwise isn't anything important to a consumer.

Thanks for your input.

As for the exp. date, where is that located. I don't see it.

acspin

Jul 21, 2010

That's what I thought...until a lot of people started noticing better 3g connection/speeds with the new sim cards. Just a placebo effect perhaps?

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
The size difference could also be for users who want to make it a micro sim so they can put it in their unlocked iPhones. I don't have either of these sim cards to compare, so I'm not sure.

Jul 27, 2010
hmm.. the sim im using is almost 8 years old. its been moved from phone to phone so many times there are wear marks on the contacts. :p still works fine though. :)

Ry-Guy615

Jan 6, 2010
When I first got my g1 a few years ago I had issues with the market. There were apps that I knew were available (private apps) but I could not download them. I went to a T-Mobile store and looked at the display phones. One of them was able to see private apps, the other like mine, could not. I talked it over with the rep and we decided to replace the sim card. It was a random, no other ideas, decision. Started the G1 back up and Market was now working as expected. There were no other benefits noticed. Since then, I tend to replace the sim anytime a new phone is purchased.

Your milage may vary.

-Ryan

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
When I got my Vibrant, coming from the g1, tmo wanted to just pop it in the Vibrant. I made them put in the new sim card just to be safe, figured the one that came in the box brand new SHOULD be better.

Aphotix

Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for your input.

As for the exp. date, where is that located. I don't see it.

Its only on the newer ones, the old ones don't expire, they just stop working after a set number of registrations on the network.

In regards to sim issues, they really shouldn't have any impact at all. Changing a sim card refreshes the billing information in the system (like what kind of services your phone is supposed to have and what not) customer care can do this without the need for a new sim.

Hoenstly though, sometimes a sim replacement is needed, I've seen stranger things.

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
When I got my Vibrant, coming from the g1, tmo wanted to just pop it in the Vibrant. I made them put in the new sim card just to be safe, figured the one that came in the box brand new SHOULD be better.

When I bought my phone out right, the rep opened the box and took out the SIM then sold me the phone.

I guess it doesn't matter since swapping out your SIM at the T-Mobile corporate stores is free.

MonkySlap

Jan 29, 2009
I just tried this since there is a tmobile store across from where I work. I used SpeedTest app and ran it 3 times before the swap. Average was about 2500 kbps download and 300 up. I swapped the sim out, went back to the spot where I originally tested and ran three more times and got about the same rate with the new sim. My old one was about 3 yo from when I had my Dash.

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
I just tried this since there is a tmobile store across from where I work. I used SpeedTest app and ran it 3 times before the swap. Average was about 2500 kbps download and 300 up. I swapped the sim out, went back to the spot where I originally tested and ran three more times and got about the same rate with the new sim. My old one was about 3 yo from when I had my Dash.

I'm thinking the only time one would see a difference is if they are having poor contact surface from the SIM wearing out. I've seen ooolld SIM's where the metal had indentations like no other.

kronos82

Mar 8, 2008
Chicago
Just read the thread and said why not had the same sim card since I first signed up with tmobile 5 years ago.

When I talked with the rep on the phone and explained this to him and asked could this help he stated that the official tmobile policy is if the old sim card works no need to switch. However, because of the technical specs on the card could cause better reception, they just can't guarantee it, they only guarantee it will not get worse. He asked if I was having issues and I said no i'm just a nerd and wanted to know if it would help. Just swapped it out going to give it a test around the house and will report back.

Back Story:
Upgraded from G1, perfect 3G everywhere in chicago, couldn't even get it to drop from 3G no matter where I went. With the Vibrant and and old sim card, constantly dropped to 2G no big deal still was speedy

New Sim Card:
will report after testing

kronos82

Mar 8, 2008
Chicago
Old Sim Card
My connection constantly jumped from 2G to 3G all over my house constantly

New Sim Card
Solid 3G all through the house, will report back after tomorrow when I travel all over chicago

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.