I don't know any code what so ever. What's a good book, website, source to begin lear

Search This thread

narsciso

Jul 18, 2010
And what language should I try to familiarize myself with first? Where do I go from there?

I aspire to work on ROMs one day, and even develop apps.

To be honest, I've also got ****ty computers and are too slow to work with, does anyone recommend getting a new laptop?

I'm probably going to need to be using something along the Unix, so will it be advisable to get a Mac or just stick with Windows and install Ubuntu?

(Sorry for not knowing as much as everyone else.)
I would be grateful towards any replies!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Hello @narsciso

Its great to see another individual taking an opportunity on learning more about Android development.

I would recommend you getting a new laptop or desktop as some developing programs are RAM hungry. Though they should still work.

Building ROMs from source - To be able to build ROMs from source you'll need to learn allot about Android, ive never attempted this so I can't help you here. But don't worry, there are plenty of guides here on xda that'll get you set up with a Linux distro and a workstation that will lead you to compile your first ROM from source. Just use the search function.

Modifying ROMs, ROMs can be modified using windows so you wouldn't need a Linux Distro to be able to achieve this. Again there are plenty of guides and useful resources that can get out started, just use the search function.

Building apps from source - Building apps isn't all that hard to be able to achieve this. You will need to set up a environment. You can do so by going to the android developer site and you can start by downloading their SDK Pack. This contains vital files that will get you started. Also includes Eclipse studio (Application Creator).

Another info on android app development is that its based on Java. So I suggest you learn Java coding as others won't be as helpful. But no need to stress over this, Java is straight forward and its easy to pick up.

Modifying apps, you can achieve this by using apk decompilers (this can be done on Linux and windows) you can decompile the app and make changes within the work folder.

You can use the source code of an app (contains functions and commands) to build an app on eclipse.

The apk itself just contains the layout and looks. The src contains vital info for the app to run right.

I would have provided links but I am using my device. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: narsciso

narsciso

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks a lot Krishneel! (I actually had a buddy of that name in HS, he still needs to give my CD back lol!)

You have broken everything down fantastically. I'll get down to reading as much as I can about Java, all the while saving up for a new laptop. I'm real excited now. You've given me a lot of motivation and insight and I'm very thankful to you for that.

So should I go with a Mac or stick with Windows when looking for a new computer?

Thanks again!

Reactions: TheArc

TheArc

Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Thanks a lot Krishneel! (I actually had a buddy of that name in HS, he still needs to give my CD back lol!)

You have broken everything down fantastically. I'll get down to reading as much as I can about Java, all the while saving up for a new laptop. I'm real excited now. You've given me a lot of motivation and insight and I'm very thankful to you for that.

So should I go with a Mac or stick with Windows when looking for a new computer?

Thanks again!

No worries mate, there's a fantastic place to get started in java coding its called "codeacademy".

Its all up to you on the operating system bit. Here's a bit of information.

If you're planning on building ROMs from source Mac will work as its based on Linux as I have been told.

If you're planning to work just on apps and further your work into ROM dev later on, you can use Windows.

If you want to build from source on Windows you can do so by using a virtual machine to run a Linux Distro.

Note: when compile ROMs you need a good PC and the compiling process requires lots of time. Which means you'll need patience but assuming that you're only going to work on app development for now. I suggest Windows.

But its up to you on what you feel is the best the looks, price, design or durability.

Sent from this toast making Nexus 5, you wish your Nexus could make toast don't you? (;

Last edited:

TheArc

Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Thanks for the source! I guess I'll be investing in a new Windows computer soon!

Again, I can't thank you enough. You may have changed my life around Krishneelg3. Thank you!

No worries, good luck and all the best with your upcoming project.

If you find it hard to work with just learning Java, you can also refer to tutorials on YouTube. There are so many. And they're really helpful.

Cheers.

Sent from this toast making Nexus 5, you wish your Nexus could make toast don't you? (;

narsciso

Jul 18, 2010

If you find it hard to work with just learning Java, you can also refer to tutorials on YouTube. There are so many. And they're really helpful.

Cheers.

So I got a macbook pro as a gift from my girlfriend, and I have took it upon myself to register and start at codeacademy.com

What do you recommend I should focus on for the first 6 months? Should I hop from language to language to mess around with ONE certain thing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello @narsciso

Its great to see another individual taking an opportunity on learning more about Android development.

I would recommend you getting a new laptop or desktop as some developing programs are RAM hungry. Though they should still work.

Building ROMs from source - To be able to build ROMs from source you'll need to learn allot about Android, ive never attempted this so I can't help you here. But don't worry, there are plenty of guides here on xda that'll get you set up with a Linux distro and a workstation that will lead you to compile your first ROM from source. Just use the search function.

Modifying ROMs, ROMs can be modified using windows so you wouldn't need a Linux Distro to be able to achieve this. Again there are plenty of guides and useful resources that can get out started, just use the search function.

Building apps from source - Building apps isn't all that hard to be able to achieve this. You will need to set up a environment. You can do so by going to the android developer site and you can start by downloading their SDK Pack. This contains vital files that will get you started. Also includes Eclipse studio (Application Creator).

Another info on android app development is that its based on Java. So I suggest you learn Java coding as others won't be as helpful. But no need to stress over this, Java is straight forward and its easy to pick up.

Modifying apps, you can achieve this by using apk decompilers (this can be done on Linux and windows) you can decompile the app and make changes within the work folder.

You can use the source code of an app (contains functions and commands) to build an app on eclipse.

The apk itself just contains the layout and looks. The src contains vital info for the app to run right.

I would have provided links but I am using my device. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

No worries mate, there's a fantastic place to get started in java coding its called "codeacademy".

Its all up to you on the operating system bit. Here's a bit of information.

If you're planning on building ROMs from source Mac will work as its based on Linux as I have been told.

If you're planning to work just on apps and further your work into ROM dev later on, you can use Windows.

If you want to build from source on Windows you can do so by using a virtual machine to run a Linux Distro.

Note: when compile ROMs you need a good PC and the compiling process requires lots of time. Which means you'll need patience but assuming that you're only going to work on app development for now. I suggest Windows.

But its up to you on what you feel is the best the looks, price, design or durability.

Thanks for the source! I guess I'll be investing in a new Windows computer soon!

Again, I can't thank you enough. You may have changed my life around Krishneelg3. Thank you!

Cheers.