[INFO][WIP] Linux on the TF101 (coming soon (I assume))

Search This thread

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
the problem is to do with claiming the fb interface, but it is able to be overcome

sorry for the sideways head thing

Good job! So, if I understand correctly you put it on the recovery partition(partially) and then boot via volume down + power ? Can you provide instructions on how to put this thing on our transformers and possibly a bin file(s).
I am dying to boot ubuntu on my tablet. Thanks in advance. :)

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
excellent! its nice to ee some progress.

I am sure i remember seeing something abut running linux in the background on teh transformer and connecting to it via VNC while still in android. Am I going mad or did I actually read this somewhere? Sounds quite a useful way of accessing things to me. If it's actually around coud somebody poitn me to the post please?

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
excellent! its nice to ee some progress.

I am sure i remember seeing something abut running linux in the background on teh transformer and connecting to it via VNC while still in android. Am I going mad or did I actually read this somewhere? Sounds quite a useful way of accessing things to me. If it's actually around coud somebody poitn me to the post please?

http://androidadvocate.com/?p=339 follow this.

when you get to this line "vncserver -geometry 1024×800" use 1280x750 instead.
Also, you need to root your device. Just install PRIME v1.5 ROM, it's already rooted.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
Good job! So, if I understand correctly you put it on the recovery partition(partially) and then boot via volume down + power ? Can you provide instructions on how to put this thing on our transformers and possibly a bin file(s).

with some editing to the flash.cfg you could put the ubuntu kernel into recovery, the kernel is slightly larger than what recovery allows, but a normal android kernel for the device fits without editing into recovery.

My current layout is RECOVERY (5) android kernel, LNX (6) ubuntu kernel, mmcblk1p1 rootfs.

here is the boot.img I use. this will boot to the first partition on your uSD, this can be edited using abootimg by changing the command lines root= arguement. This kernel is for a raw ext4 partition on your sd card.

Please do not mirror this, it is far from complete, and I am not going to supply full instructions at the moment, if you know what you are doing it is pretty straight forward, otherwise wait until the next version I release with a few usability fixes

Reactions: aligatro2010

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
You'll also need a busybox. There are multiple installers on the market.

Just sitting down to have a crack now. Can't remember why but something else I installed needed busybox so thats already on.

Tried the version in that ink and for some reason it dind't allow me to use apt-get, just didn't now the command. Now that I had taht lnk and was remonded it was called chroot I've found teh xda version so I'm just transfering a 3gb image to my transformer from my NAS and I'll have anoter go.

Wish me luck!

aligatro2010

May 30, 2010
Just sitting down to have a crack now. Can't remember why but something else I installed needed busybox so thats already on.

Tried the version in that ink and for some reason it dind't allow me to use apt-get, just didn't now the command. Now that I had taht lnk and was remonded it was called chroot I've found teh xda version so I'm just transfering a 3gb image to my transformer from my NAS and I'll have anoter go.

Wish me luck!

apt-get is package installer for debian-based systems. So, it will only be available when you chroot into ubuntu. If it's not, then you are probably not inside chroot.

with some editing to the flash.cfg you could put the ubuntu kernel into recovery, the kernel is slightly larger than what recovery allows, but a normal android kernel for the device fits without editing into recovery.

My current layout is RECOVERY (5) android kernel, LNX (6) ubuntu kernel, mmcblk1p1 rootfs.

here is the boot.img I use. this will boot to the first partition on your uSD, this can be edited using abootimg by changing the command lines root= arguement. This kernel is for a raw ext4 partition on your sd card.

Please do not mirror this, it is far from complete, and I am not going to supply full instructions at the moment, if you know what you are doing it is pretty straight forward, otherwise wait until the next version I release with a few usability fixes

How did you get extra space for partition 5? Did you partially shift partition 6 into 7?

Last edited:

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
apt-get is package installer for debian-based systems. So, it will only be available when you chroot into ubuntu. If it's not, then you are probably not inside chroot.

yup I was in but unfirtunately it just woulnd't work. I installed teh HD2 version and it's working great now. only issue I have is stopping it! it's always running till I reboot. I just hope it's not to battery hungry :D

Thanks fot your help :D

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010

didnt look in to this but what is the size dif in boot and recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So as we all know soon we will have the files to access nvflash. This for one will hopefully allow us to install any OS we want.

Here is a guide to flashing ubuntu through nvflash onto a tegra 2 device:
    http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now

Now lets hope once the nvflash tools get released in the coming days we will be able to do this.
    got the kernel built, ill see if i have time for the rest of it tomorrow.
    My new production box is up and running, and when I left the house today I had git pulling nVidia's nv-tegra/linux-2.6 branch.

I work 60-80 hours a week though, so this is very much a 'in my spare time' type project for me.

I'm hoping to get the T2 kernel compiling sometime over the weekend, maybe have time to mess with it Monday-ish.
    Came across more info on the bootloader subsystem, too -

http://www.androidenea.com/2009/06/android-boot-process-from-power-on.html

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

http://elinux.org/Using_Bootchart_on_Android

Too bad I'm at work, or I could be having fun working on this, instead ;) I'll be experimenting Monday. I work Tuesday-Sunday, so doubt I'll have much time to play with this until after the weekend :(