Official ICS & JELLY BEAN discussion/speculation thread

Search This thread

Joe T

Nov 18, 2010
Fingerlakes, NY
Can you tell me a bit more please. How and what makes our Sammy tablet so much better on ICS?

I'm in two minds as to whether or not to wait for the official ICS or go for an already existing mod version

Give it a whirl if you're interested. Make a backup of your HC rom and if you don't like ICS, switch back.

I was hesitant at first but I'm glad I switched to AOKP. I use my tablet occasionally with a Keyboard and Mouse. On ICS, I can scroll through my home screens and app drawer with the mouse wheel. Might not be a big deal to a lot of people, but having that was useful to me.
I also love Google Chrome.

Overall, ICS seems more responsive and a smoother experience.

badogg

Mar 11, 2011
Give it a whirl if you're interested. Make a backup of your HC rom and if you don't like ICS, switch back.

I was hesitant at first but I'm glad I switched to AOKP. I use my tablet occasionally with a Keyboard and Mouse. On ICS, I can scroll through my home screens and app drawer with the mouse wheel. Might not be a big deal to a lot of people, but having that was useful to me.
I also love Google Chrome.

Overall, ICS seems more responsive and a smoother experience.

I used to say that until I loaded up the Overcome Rom. Smoothest Rom I've run on my Tab and I've tried them all.

Reactions: Joe T

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008
I'm also personally inclined to look elsewhere for my next tablet - not because of the firmware (none of my Android devices stay stock for very long and you can pretty much always guarantee Samsung's flagship phones and tablets will get good Dev support) but rather the poor quality of the hardware.
My Tab has a massive Newton Rings smear across it and that's just not good enough IMO.

That said, I would never preclude Samsung from my considerations, merely that if all other factors were equal, I would err on the side of choosing the other brand.

First time hearing that. I'm really happy with the hardware but not so much with support. Had a really nasty experience with a new Samsung tv warranty episode. I just don't feel like Samsung gives a damn about customers outside of the returns window.
None of the newton fixes worked? If the warranty is valid just sell it to someone in the us.

Sent from Scott LaRock's TR808

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
None of the newton fixes worked?
The first time it occurred, it went away by itself a wee while later.
This time it's come back much worse very recently, so I haven't had a chance to try the fixes yet.

Not that it would make any difference - I shouldn't be having to stick my Tab in the fridge so that the hardware is ok.
Even if the fixes work, it doesn't change the fact that it's a significant disappointment on Samsung's part.

If the warranty is valid just sell it to someone in the us.
I don't have a receipt for it or anything, so that's not an option.

xTONEx

Jul 10, 2010
This time it's come back much worse very recently, so I haven't had a chance to try the fixes yet.

Not that it would make any difference - I shouldn't be having to stick my Tab in the fridge so that the hardware is ok.
Even if the fixes work, it doesn't change the fact that it's a significant disappointment on Samsung's part.

I don't have a receipt for it or anything, so that's not an option

Since when is a receipt needed for a warranty thru the company...

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Ken4G

Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY USA
Send it for repair! It is a known issue and they will take the tab in and replace the screen no questions asked. Just make sure to mention "newton rings".

I called back in February, they sent me a prepaid shipping label, I sent it in and 2 weeks later, I had a brand new screen. All free.

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008

I don't have a receipt for it or anything, so that's not an option.

I agree and would be pretty disappointed if I had that issue. Like others have said, they shouldn't ask for a receipt but you are overseas so that could be an issue. I'd just call them up and say I bought it while in the US on vacation and see if they will fix it. If not, someone in the US will be willing to buy it and have it serviced/fix it themselves.

Imagine how pissed you'd be if you paid 5 or 6 hundred for it.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Send it for repair! It is a known issue and they will take the tab in and replace the screen no questions asked. Just make sure to mention "newton rings".

I called back in February, they sent me a prepaid shipping label, I sent it in and 2 weeks later, I had a brand new screen. All free.

He has a US version and he's in Europe. They still may repair it in the US or Europe. I'm sure someone else has tried that on here.

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Thank you all for the advice, I shall take it under advisement.

Having read the warranty booklet, it only covers the original purchaser, it only applies in the US and it stipulates that a receipt/proof of purchase must be included when sending the tablet to Samsung for a warranty repair.

I'm genuinely not bothered either way - I'll be replacing the Tab as soon as I find something that ticks enough boxes on my wish-list.

kevinmayer86

Feb 16, 2008
Orlando, FL
Thank you all for the advice, I shall take it under advisement.

Having read the warranty booklet, it only covers the original purchaser, it only applies in the US and it stipulates that a receipt/proof of purchase must be included when sending the tablet to Samsung for a warranty repair.

I'm genuinely not bothered either way - I'll be replacing the Tab as soon as I find something that ticks enough boxes on my wish-list.

They may say that you need to include that and that it only applies to the original owner, but I don't think they're very strict in enforcing that. I bought my tablet from someone July last year and I have no receipt and neither am I the original owner but I sent my tab in for repairs back in March and they didn't give me any problems. They sent me a shipping label and that was it.
I would suggest giving them a call, it doesn't hurt in trying.

Timelessblur

May 6, 2011
Houston
:( Sorry but my next tablet will not be Samsung ... I think a lack of gratitude that after doing an aggressive marketing promotion of a product, after sales of very large to neglect updates in favor of other new models appeared. OK and they should be sold, but not in this style!

Same here. Asus made it a lot hire on my list because OMG they update their stuff in more timely manner.

Samsung promised ICS 1Q for Galaxy 10.1. Now we 1/2 way threw 2Q and still no real word on it.
Samsung does not have the carrier excuse on this one. It show volumes that they really do not care. It is quick way to turn me COMPLETELY off against any samsung because they are badly failing to deliver on basic promises.

sterz85

Jul 15, 2010
Troy, MI
since the galaxy tab 2 is out already, y can't we just port that rom over and flash it instead? yes a root will be needed but I ran CM9 for a while and actually liked the android 3.2 more (CM9 crashed way too much and i missed some of the samsung apps)

Reactions: general1977

dummy1001

Feb 26, 2006
I used to say that until I loaded up the Overcome Rom. Smoothest Rom I've run on my Tab and I've tried them all.

Basically I fully agree. Without custom rom I would sell my Tab. HC is simply not acceptable.

I would say AOKP is as good as overcome. I am running my tab now on AOKP on milestone 5 P37 and this release is far better (smoother) than milestone 4 P31 (the first AOKP I tried).

With other word: it is usable now.

shame on Samsung for their update policy.

Regards,
Frank

spritable

Jan 3, 2010
Rousse
I've tried not to be frustated with the delays we are facing, but after soo much mornths pased, eventually I got frustrated.

When google releases a new version, the manufacturer needs between 2 and 6 months to apply the update to their devices, if those devices meets the requirements for this version. Then if you bought your devices from a carrier, there is a chance that you will need to wait another 2 months for the update to reach your device. This happened to me. My carrier needed additional 2 months, because they have a custom app store and another crappy app. I assume that they needed those 2 months to update those two to the new version. Funny, ha?

Don't get me wrong, I love my adroid phone and android tablet, but compared to the way new versions are released to apples products, android is loosing big time.

For apple, we do not have the delay because of the customization of the manufacturers. Appart from that carriers customizations are apps that are updated in the app store and do not delay of the new OS version release.

Last edited:

jeepnutz

Jul 25, 2010
Fayette-nam
Forgive the "newbie" comment but isn't this thread for updates about the "ICS Release" hence the Title, "ICS Release Information ". Perhaps there needs to be separate thread for the, I'm whinning about the lack of an ICS update. Just saying?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app

ROB281

Apr 8, 2010
Houston
Forgive the "newbie" comment but isn't this thread for updates about the "ICS Release" hence the Title, "ICS Release Information ". Perhaps there needs to be separate thread for the, I'm whinning about the lack of an ICS update. Just saying?

Troll harder next time

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com

EVERY LAST WORD OF THIS^^^

What I **REALLY** don't like is that the people here can cry a river against samsung, but as soon as someone steps up for samsung and defends them, the post is deleted without comment or explanation. It's all coming back to me now why I LEFT xda in the first place. Completely forgot the crybabies had won.

Last edited:
Reactions: djmvt

Timelessblur

May 6, 2011
Houston
EVERY LAST WORD OF THIS^^^

What I **REALLY** don't like is that the people here can cry a river against samsung, but as soon as someone steps up for samsung and defends them, the post is deleted without comment or explanation. It's all coming back to me now why I LEFT xda in the first place. Completely forgot the crybabies had won.

Well I ask. what is the defense for Samsung here? The first promised a 1Q update for a list of device none of which got it. Then then the 10.1 had gotten nothing not

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a forum for smartphones and tablets.

If you want to talk politics, go somewhere else - such discussion is not welcome here.
    Mod edit:
    No offence intended to the original OP but this thread has strayed far from it's original purpose.
    So from here on out, it's now the focal point for all ICS-related discussion and all the spam that accompanies that.​

Mod edit #2:
    This is now also the official discussion speculation thread for Jelly Bean.
    Given there hasn't been an official ICS release yet, I see no reason to have two speculation threads on the go at the same time.​

-Step666

Edit #3: ICS Has officially been released in the UK and developers have already made roms for it. Please go to http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1053 for Latest information about ICS ROMs.
    The thread has been cleaned and re-opened - please refrain from dragging it off-topic again.

If people do insist on dragging this down into petty bickering and flaming, they will face serious sanctions.
    I don't mind to be thanked, maybe you do, but I liked to take your mood down lol
    Anyway this the truth, you like it or not.

Actually, this is as far from the truth as it can be

It is speculation based on speculation, the fact that you consider it for "the truth" can only show how big your ego is and how wrong you can be.

The only thing "truth" about your statement is the fact that you like to take "our mood down", ie: Being a troll!
    I now have started a petition to collect users demanding an ICS-update for Galaxy Tabs 10.1, Tab 8.9, Tab 7.7, Tab 7.0 Plus including source code now.

The link is as followed:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ics-android-40-ice-cream-sandwich-update-for/

Ok, I don't even know why I am contributing to your trollish post....but in case you didn't know Samsung has planned to release ics....

so...

Why would anyone sign such a petition?????

As for the "demanding" and "now".... well I am sure they could give the update now but I strongly believe it will be as buggy as hell...just look at the sgs2 ics update...

For the last time I take part to such conversation. Be well everyone!

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)