[Q] Disable hardware buttons

Search This thread

DerGreeny

Feb 26, 2014
Hi,
I would like to disable the hardware buttons from my Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 since I already made the softkeys visible by changing the /system/build.prop file.

I found HowTo's for other Samsung devices. All of them proposed a modification of the /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl file by deactivating the mappings for the keys 139, 158 and 172 (see this thread). Unfortunately, this isn't working for my Tab 3.

Can someone give my advice in this topic?

Thanks in advance,
Greeny

L

LiquidSmokeX64

Im curious what edit you made to enable the soft keys

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DerGreeny

Feb 26, 2014
I added qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 to the end of /system/build.prop. If you are interested in the source I could post a link, even if I'm not sure whether external links are accepted.

linkboy

Apr 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
I've got mine disabled and all you do is put # in front of the key mappings.

What I want to know is how to switch the back key (which defaults to the right) and the menu key (which defaults to the left). It's a pain to have the back key on the right.

Anyone know how to swap them, I've tried different steps for galaxy devices and nothing's working.

DerGreeny

Feb 26, 2014
Thanks for your answer, but this isn't working for me. I prepended the 3 lines with a # and rebooted the device. But the three hardware buttons are still working :(

graffix31

Oct 9, 2011
Boston
When you added the soft keys did it make the launcher bar at the bottom move up and overlap the page dots for the home pages? I turned them on in gravity box and thats what happened.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

DerGreeny

Feb 26, 2014
When you added the soft keys did it make the launcher bar at the bottom move up and overlap the page dots for the home pages? I turned them on in gravity box and thats what happened.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

The soft keys do not overlap the page dots, but they are now really close (see attached screenshot).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-03-08-13-52.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-03-08-13-52.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 150

new-noob

Jan 2, 2012
here
Unfortunately they stay at the bottom and overlay the lowest row of icons. :(

ok good to know, thanks.

I am having some issues with overclocking here on stock ROM so need to consider switching to custom, since as rooted I won't get official update anyway :)

the major thing with custom is that there is no multi-window available which I heavily use .