[Q] Dell Streak 5 Gets Honeycomb

Search This thread

crslaytor

Dec 5, 2008
I have found this, it is a post from 2 days ago , 4th of january 2012.

but i am rooted and running custom rom, so it says invalid version if i try to check for updates.
anyone seen the official 3.0 yet? might perhaps keep us busy until we get ICS from someone? :confused:

"We can tell you now, news which will come as bitter sweet for Dell Streak fans, the Dell Streak 5 has officially got the Honeycomb update we all have been waiting for, but sadly the Dell Streak 7, which was recently discontinued, has been confirmed to not have an update to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0).

If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update it’s OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if you’re on a limited data plan, if it’s an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi you’re cool).

Sadly though, it seems the Streak 7 will go out of date quicker as no update is in sight and it is not really logical for Dell to continue working with it, as they have the Dell Venue and Venue Pro to focus on.

Dell said this about the Streak 7 via their Twitter account @DellCares:

@giveen Unfortunately, no plans to develop ICS for Streak7. See here if you are interested in unofficial version del.ly/6018RUTp -AB

— (@DellCares) December 21, 2011
"

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
TOP Tablet PC said:
We can tell you now, news which will come as bitter sweet for Dell Streak fans, the Dell Streak 5 has officially got the Honeycomb update we all have been waiting for, but sadly the Dell Streak 7, which was recently discontinued, has been confirmed to not have an update to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0).

Dell said this about the Streak 7 via their Twitter account @DellCares:

@giveen Unfortunately, no plans to develop ICS for Streak7. See here if you are interested in unofficial version del.ly/6018RUTp -AB

— (@DellCares) December 21, 2011
This is true except for the part about the S5 getting HC, there has never been any indication of the S5 recieving anything but 2.2 and 2.3 for one region. It's also old enough that even if it were a nexus 5 or something it STILL wouldnt get the update. (It's nearing the 18 months after it's first release, it's also hardware-wise very similar to the N1)

TOP Tablet PC said:
If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update it’s OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if you’re on a limited data plan, if it’s an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi you’re cool).

Sadly though, it seems the Streak 7 will go out of date quicker as no update is in sight and it is not really logical for Dell to continue working with it, as they have the Dell Venue and Venue Pro to focus on.
This is more or less a complete lie

It wouldnt work on several levels:
Official roms either must: be compatable or remove gapps, official roms operate differently then custom roms
File size is too small: Official roms are ~170-230mb, unless you remove gapps
No phone support: HC does not support phones or the phone UI, also the s5's disp is too small for the tab ui

Venue isnt supported: Dell doesnt release updates for the venue, only the fact it's newer is why they still sell them (only 14/olleh recieves OTA updates for the venue)

kurdo_kolene

Nov 20, 2011
Venue isnt supported: Dell doesnt release updates for the venue, only the fact it's newer is why they still sell them (only 14/olleh recieves OTA updates for the venue)

Reading this makes me think that Dell is regarding it's android devices as if it was selling hot-dogs from a hot-dog cart in Manhattan-here today, gone tomorrow, doesn't matter what happens to the customer who bought the product.
And it's a shame, because i like my Streak, and from the pictures i have seen and stats i've read, the Venue is probably pretty good, however, next time i shop around it'll be for a product that is supported and is developer friendly (hello drivers' source)

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Reading this makes me think that Dell is regarding it's android devices as if it was selling hot-dogs from a hot-dog cart in Manhattan-here today, gone tomorrow, doesn't matter what happens to the customer who bought the product.
And it's a shame, because i like my Streak, and from the pictures i have seen and stats i've read, the Venue is probably pretty good, however, next time i shop around it'll be for a product that is supported and is developer friendly (hello drivers' source)

To a degree they are, they're reasonably decent if it's hardware related, but unless it's a s5 you're pretty much on your own with software.

The Venue and S7 didnt recieve pkgs for most of it's updates.

Only thing dell has is that if you break it and it's not clearly your fault they'll prob replace/fix it for you.

Reactions: mokokawi

slaydog

Dec 14, 2009
Credit where credit is due. Dell's customer service was very helpful when my streak needed to be replaced... :)

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Reactions: mokokawi

trunks10k

Nov 13, 2011
Toronto
I can't say much but if Hc is better than any of the custom Roms on this forum thats the only thing that'll get me to download it. But as of right now DCS v65 is doing it for me. As for Dells customer support I can't say I've dealt with them directly but thru my carrier I had my phone replaced twice for free due to battery n charger issues the third time I dropped my phone n the grollia glass stood up but made me get a nasty blotch of dead pixels n I had to pay 40 for shipping n handling n everything got replaced.

fysty-1

Jan 1, 2012
This is what was written:-
"If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update it’s OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if you’re on a limited data plan, if it’s an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi you’re cool)." If this is available through the phone, How is it done? Nothing was said in the article linked or on "Dell cares" (yeh right!) twitter. I saw Honeycomb mentioned on another site & was surprised that I hadn't seen it here so I did the usual search & found this post. If this could be done over the phone this would be great for me as I am such a ninny when it comes to technology.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
@fysty-1: The author of the article the OP refers to is, to put it nicely, full of s#!^. Honeycomb will never come to a Streak 5 due to the screen being too small to effectively use it, and an official Ice Cream Sandwich release is a very remote possibility at best. In any event, Dell discontinued the Streak in North America, with the last official ROMs from North American carriers being Froyo (2.2.2). Obviously carriers in other parts of the world are getting Gingerbread, but that's an entirely different thread.

Reactions: fysty-1

fysty-1

Jan 1, 2012
@fysty-1: The author of the article the OP refers to is, to put it nicely, full of s#!^. Honeycomb will never come to a Streak 5 due to the screen being too small to effectively use it, and an official Ice Cream Sandwich release is a very remote possibility at best. In any event, Dell discontinued the Streak in North America, with the last official ROMs from North American carriers being Froyo (2.2.2). Obviously carriers in other parts of the world are getting Gingerbread, but that's an entirely different thread.

Thanks Strephon. I'm sorry that what you all do is way over my head but does what you sa mean that the tutorials here are not for the N/A market? I have found a Goldwing Buddy that is willing to do the upgrades for me. All I have to do is send him my Baby. I would love ICS but the only upgrades I have found so far in my research are for the Gingerbread. But that is fine as I love what it does to my partners Sony Ex Arc. Thanks again. Cheers Angela

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
My comment about the Streak being discontinued in North America referred to getting over-the-air updates from Dell. Since Dell is no longer releasing updated ROMs for the Streak in North America, the over-the-air update function is useless. This means the only way to get an updated official ROM is to use the tutorials on the site here, which apply regardless of whether the Streak is unlocked, like mine, or carrier locked like yours.

The latest official ROM for any carrier is 407, which has a thread both in Streak 5 General and Streak 5 Android Development. That ROM is a Gingerbread ROM (Android 2.3.3). As I mentioned, the tutorials given on these forums are still applicable to the Streak and it is quite possible to get a flavor of Gingerbread, whether it be the official ROM or one of the custom ROMs, on the Streak. But we will never see Honeycomb (Android 3.x) on our Streaks. Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x) is a remote possibility, but I'm not anticipating seeing it, and neither should you.

Reactions: fysty-1

frozen91

Dec 17, 2011
don't need honeycomb just make it possible with gingerbread 00 region ROM..i think dell wouldn't care that one also :(

kamil3100

Feb 14, 2012
Wałbrzych
Hello
I'm going to buy a Dell Streak 5, but I care to be able to:
video calls using Google Talk and video calls by front webcam.
Only problem is that the Streak 5 has the android 2.2 and video calling themselves by the front webcam 2.3 need not to mention video chat using Google Talk, where you need 2.3.7.
This is the way to the Streak 5, these two functions work?
If so, how to do this?

Please bear with us because they do not know English well and assist the google translation.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Gtalk2 is included in 2.3.4 and newer if it supports it.

There's a mod in the mod subforum that gives you gtalk2 on 2.3.3

lanrey

Feb 7, 2010
hey bud...I also have a dell streak 5..got it from dell.com unlocked. Anyway, it came with Froyo which doesn't support front video calls and such related features until I upgraded to the Gingerbread Olleh KT 407 rom...I've been enjoying my Streak ever since,,it works superb...faster too. If you want I can put you through on how to get yours running on the same official rom. It takes about 25 minutes approximately...let me know what you decide..ok?
Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To a degree they are, they're reasonably decent if it's hardware related, but unless it's a s5 you're pretty much on your own with software.

The Venue and S7 didnt recieve pkgs for most of it's updates.

Only thing dell has is that if you break it and it's not clearly your fault they'll prob replace/fix it for you.
    Credit where credit is due. Dell's customer service was very helpful when my streak needed to be replaced... :)

My comment about the Streak being discontinued in North America referred to getting over-the-air updates from Dell. Since Dell is no longer releasing updated ROMs for the Streak in North America, the over-the-air update function is useless. This means the only way to get an updated official ROM is to use the tutorials on the site here, which apply regardless of whether the Streak is unlocked, like mine, or carrier locked like yours.

The latest official ROM for any carrier is 407, which has a thread both in Streak 5 General and Streak 5 Android Development. That ROM is a Gingerbread ROM (Android 2.3.3). As I mentioned, the tutorials given on these forums are still applicable to the Streak and it is quite possible to get a flavor of Gingerbread, whether it be the official ROM or one of the custom ROMs, on the Streak. But we will never see Honeycomb (Android 3.x) on our Streaks. Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x) is a remote possibility, but I'm not anticipating seeing it, and neither should you.