[TOOL][Updated 5.9.12]viperMOD PrimeTime v4.6 | Auto Root/Unroot/Busybox/CMW Flash!

Search This thread

duy_ctytvxdkg

Jun 1, 2007
Yes root worked perfectly fine and backed up fine when on previous firmware.

updated and tried to restore root with OTA and failed. now i have superuser installed but no actual root permission

vipermod does not work and keeps saying my file system is read only.

I think here is the way:
1. Unlock boot loader
2. install CWM
3. restore .15
4. root with viper tools.
5. Install OTA rootkeeper
6. Updated and restored root with OTA rootkeeper.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I have been searching around and can't figure this out.

I am on .21 and i am not rooted. My device is unlocked, but I cannot install CWM Recovery unless i am rooted.... But I am not able to root v .21, and since i cannot install CWM i cannot downgrade to something like .15, so I cannot root, so I cannot install CWM... etc......

It's a vicious cycle. Or am i missing something?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Use this buddy Have to unlocked bootloader

Fastboot Method

Copy recovery-clockwork-5.8.2.0-tf201.blob into the same folder where adb or adb.exe is located.

Enable USB debugging on your Transformer Prime. (Go to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.)

Connect your tablet to your PC via USB cable.

Open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the folder where adb or adb.exe is located. (If you’re on Windows, double-click on commandprompt.bat to open a command prompt within the folder.)
Type the following at the terminal or command prompt (if on Linux, replace adb with ./adb):
adb reboot bootloader
Your tablet will reboot into Fastboot mode. Check that it’s in Fastboot Mode by typing fastboot devices (for Windows) or ./fastboot devices (for Linux). You should see your tablet’s serial number displayed on the terminal or command prompt.
Enter the following command at the terminal or command prompt window (if on Linux, replace fastboot with ./fastboot):
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.2.0-tf201.blob
When the progress bar is full, flashing is complete.

Code:
http://www.box.com/s/8b490c04030b60ae6891

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
I think here is the way:
1. Unlock boot loader
2. install CWM
3. restore .15

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Use this buddy Have to unlocked bootloader

Code:
http://www.box.com/s/8b490c04030b60ae6891

Once you have cwm why do you bother you installing .15, rooting and so on?

You just flash one of the rooted .21 and you're done...

ylexot

Dec 8, 2010
I think here is the way:
1. Unlock boot loader
2. install CWM
3. restore .15

You can't install the ASUS blob files after you unlock. You'll brick it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
how can you install the unlocker tool? dont you have to be rooted first to install the bootloader unlocker?

Also i dont want to unlock my bootloader. im happy with my locked bootloader for now and just wanted root access so that i could install and use the Droidmote service.

looks ill just wait for the next firmware update and see if that helps remove this old Superuser left over on my device that I cant get rid of.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
how can you install the unlocker tool? dont you have to be rooted first to install the bootloader unlocker?

Also i dont want to unlock my bootloader. im happy with my locked bootloader for now and just wanted root access so that i could install and use the Droidmote service.

looks ill just wait for the next firmware update and see if that helps remove this old Superuser left over on my device that I cant get rid of.

No, root is not needed to install or use the unlocker tool.

This is one of the reasons I don't install the superuser app as a system app. You need root access to remove it. You could potentially use the full system update from the ASUS website to go back to a fresh factory version with no unlocking needed. I have not tried this though.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Links have gone down because of a server issue. Reuploading latest build, give it 10 mins before you download!!

I will try to get some updates done soon to include the latest CWM with an option for Touch Recovery or not. I would like to get some auto detection stuff done as well as an updated Linux version.

Any other requests?

duy_ctytvxdkg

Jun 1, 2007
Once you have cwm why do you bother you installing .15, rooting and so on?

You just flash one of the rooted .21 and you're done...

For the one, who just believe in Asus Rom :D

You can't install the ASUS blob files after you unlock. You'll brick it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

As I already tell before, root with Viper, after that update firmware (lost root) I follows exactly all steps. Do it 2 times, everything still be ok.

Don't have to be rooted before install unlocker tool, buddy

Links have gone down because of a server issue. Reuploading latest build, give it 10 mins before you download!!

I will try to get some updates done soon to include the latest CWM with an option for Touch Recovery or not. I would like to get some auto detection stuff done as well as an updated Linux version.

Any other requests?

I try to help, you may update this link on first post
Code:
http://www.box.com/s/744dacf9a08873f2abd2

n8mack33

Oct 7, 2007
Anyone know the status of root on .21? Is someone working on it? Do we think it can be done or are we SOL?

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Anyone know the status of root on .21? Is someone working on it? Do we think it can be done or are we SOL?

I've said this before but I'm not sure if you'll ever see a root for it because you can unlock. No one wants to work on a solution that is going to get blocked in the next update and burn through an exploit. Unfortunately, you have to pay to play. If you want root right now, you need to unlock the bootloader.

FidoCappy

Oct 4, 2011
Oakville
cant get into cwm

Please help. I rooted with this tool kit using option 3 for my transformer tf101. Its on 3.2.1. It worked perfectly.i installed cwm with rom manager. It sais successful but i cant get into cwm.

If i try through rom manager cwm, my transformer just reboots like normal. If i manually try to boot into cwm using power and volume down i just get to a screen with options of wipe data or andoid then it says it cold boots and boots up normally.

Am i doing something wrong? Can someone tell me how to get into cwm or even stock recovery?

I even tried to create a backup withrom manager and all that does is reboot my transformer.

mylasthope

Jul 16, 2008
I've said this before but I'm not sure if you'll ever see a root for it because you can unlock. No one wants to work on a solution that is going to get blocked in the next update and burn through an exploit. Unfortunately, you have to pay to play. If you want root right now, you need to unlock the bootloader.

thats a shame. I really wish I didn't have to unlock to get root. I'd like to have root and my warranty since im going to RMA my prime for the 2nd time soon. =(

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

bimbobo

Jan 15, 2012
Same situation here.

Viperboy, why did you make this tool then earlier? You could unlock before same way you can unlock now.

We are not "demanding", but many of us have a "2nd RMA" on its way and we cannot unlock.

Anyway, maybe somebody else will do it, and we can root again like it was with the very good tool you made.

mibo666

Sep 19, 2010
2 RMA's..:
1. Poor WiFi , Dead GPS, Light bleedings, ramdom restarts, broken keyboard
--- Fixed Keyboard & screen, GPS upgraded from "dead" to "poor signal"
2. Still Poor WiFi, poor GPS, light bleeding shows again, ramdom reboots.
--- WiFI Fixed, GPS Fixed but not enough, screen fixed, ramdom reboots fixed by .21 FW....but i lost root.

I cant unlock my prime becouse I have lost 2weeks for first RMA and 5weeks for second RMA. 7 weeks is too much becouse I bought this tab at 28 december 2011. I dont know what will be in future...maybe screen will be bleeding again or "mechanism" of keyboard will be broke again... I cant unlock it becouse this tab hasynt good quality

Sorry for my english.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Same situation here.

Viperboy, why did you make this tool then earlier? You could unlock before same way you can unlock now.

We are not "demanding", but many of us have a "2nd RMA" on its way and we cannot unlock.

Anyway, maybe somebody else will do it, and we can root again like it was with the very good tool you made.

This tool was only made to make it easier for everyone to root. I did not come up with the root methods, I just made the tool based on an existing root method. What people need to understand is that, from a dev perspective, with an unlock available it really doesn't make sense for a dev to work on root for this tablet for a few reasons...

1 reason is that Asus seems to be the most frequent updater of any OEM I've ever seen. There is no doubt that they read how we got root and intentionally fix it in the next update or two. This leads to problem number 2... using a root exploit that gets fixed and then becomes known and leads to other OEMs patching and making future devices harder to root.

I understand that people may think "oh well, burn a root exploit, we just want root!" Sorry, devs aren't going to think of it that way when you have an unlocking method. That's just that way it is. Honestly, don't ever expect root on .21 because it may never happen.

Reactions: cky2000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    viperROM%252520Banner2.png

primetimev3_1.png
    primetimev3_2.png

primetimev3_3.png
    primetimev3_4.png

PrimeTime Reviews

Tried the other two methods without any success...but this one is the only one that works!!

You have done great work here. Top notch, the crazy thing is, even after trying to root about 6 times and being unsuccessful, I wasn't at all worried when I started PrimeTime.

Everything went great I had lost root during the ICS ota and this fixed everything. Thanks -viperboy-

currentuserjade said:
    Asus should send you a commission check, PrimeTime is the only reason I didn't return the TFP today!!! Thanks again!!!

I do not have a TF101 anymore, but it has been reported that you can root the latest ICS update via option 1. Do so at your own risk! And PLEASE don't flash recovery if you're not on a Prime. That option is ONLY for TF201's!!

THIS WILL NOT ROOT .21 AT THIS TIME!!

Introducing viperMOD PrimeTime! An automated rooting program for your Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (ICS or HC supported) and the Asus Transformer TF101. It is very simple and easy to use with extra features that other root methods don't have. Works on Prime's that lost root with the ICS OTA! Now, here is how it works...

• Download the .zip
    • Plug in your Transformer and make sure to install the drivers located in the included .zip (unless you can already adb into your device, then no need for drivers)
    • Kill Asus Sync and Splashtop! - very important!!
    • Make sure you have NO OTHER ANDROID DEVICES connected via USB!
    • If on Linux, you may need to do "chmod a+x /path/to/primetime/primetime.sh" (no quotes)
    • Run the viperMOD PrimeTime.exe and choose an option.
    • After rooting, download OTA Root Keeper from the Market!
    • ???
    • Profit?

It's as simple as that! I have tested this about 30 times (both rooting and unrooting) and it works just fine! I would HIGHLY recommend downloading Voodoo Root Keeper!! Any issues or questions, please feel free to post here! Enjoy your rooted Prime :D

Things you should NOT do!
    • Try to root with the Transformer in the dock
    • Use a USB extension cable
    • Not download OTA Root Keeper
    • Not follow directions

Updated 5.9.12 - v4.6
    • Replaced OLD CWM recovery with latest TWRP 2.1
    • Fixed sparkym3's donate link

HC root based on NachoRoot by jcase and TeamAndIRC.

ICS root based on TPSparkyRoot by sparkym3.

Latest ICS root based on https://github.com/saurik/mempodroid by Saurik.

Download
    Windows (v4.6): Main Link, Mirror 1, Mirror 2
    Linux/Unix (v4.1 - update coming soon!): http://bit.ly/PrimeTime_v4_1_Linux
    Changelog
    Code:
    [B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 2.22 - v4.5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*][*]Added Asus Unlock Tool install and automated CWM flash
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.25 - v4.1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Fixed an issue where people couldn't root, even on latest OTA. The problem was a copy of su in /system/bin (or in some cases /system/xbin) that had the wrong permissions. The fix is to remove it, repush, and set correct permissions on it.
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.24 - v4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Support latest OTA (.11) and up! This should (hopefully) stick around a while because of the exploit used!
    [*]Code clean up
    [*][B]TIP:[/B] I would recommend just updating to .11.1 from [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1452933"]here[/URL] (make sure you download the large 300+MB file) and follow those directions and then try rooting. That is what I did and v4 worked on that just fine :)
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.22[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Added Linux/Unix version
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.12 - v3.1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Added a line of code to (hopefully) fix failed rooting. This was likely caused by root failing and not undoing the code (my script has always done that on a failed root, I assume most people who are having problems now did it by hand before?)
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.12 - v3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Supports ICS root method (as well as alt. root method, used on TF101 and Prime's on HC)
    [*]Better busybox install
    [*]Better su binary and Superuser app removal (checks /data for Superuser if you updated it in Market)
    [*]More code enhancements and cleanup
    [*]Added donate menu [because you guys love us :D]
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.10 - v2[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Name changed to PrimeTime (thanks xda user whose name I need to find!)
    [*]Installs busybox upon rooting
    [*]Fix bug where superuser and binary weren't removed
    [*]Removes superuser.apk from /data/app if updated from Market
    [*]Gives you sysro and sysrw (type that into a terminal/adb shell for quick rw/ro /system)
    [*]Code enhancements and cleanup
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.4 - v1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [list]
    [*]Initial Release
    [/list]

FAQ

Q. Do I need ADB?
    A. Yes, but you don't need to set it up or anything. I have packaged it as part of the .exe and it should work just fine.

Q. Will I not be able to OTA?
    A. No, rooting doesn't affect OTA whatsoever. It's actually reverse - OTA affects root. You will still get update notifications when updates drops, but you WILL loose root if you update. Download Voodoo Root Keeper to keep root if you take the next OTA! The only way rooting would possibly affect an OTA is if, once rooted, you delete the certificates and modify the build.prop (and other things) that don't allow the OTAs to come through.

Q. Will this work on ICS and/or HC?
    A. Yes, it now supports both. The ICS root method may work on HC Prime's and TF101's but I haven't gotten reports on that yet.

Q. The program doesn't do anything! WTF?!
    A. Did you enable USB Debugging like the program told you too? [Settings > Developer Options] I hope you also installed the drivers, since the program told you to do that too. Once that is all set, the program will continue. If you're still having issues, please try this:

Originally Posted by Swiftks
    Here's what I did to resolve the auto driver install by Windows 7, which does not allow for adb interface:

Prime:
    1) Turn USB Debugging ON (Settings -> Developer Options)
    2) Allow installation of non-market apps (Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources)
    3) Uncheck Launch ASUS Sync (Settings -> Accounts & sync)

PC (Windows 7 x64):
    4) Connect Prime to PC via USB & drivers automatically installed. *Note: Prime is only visible under "Portable Devices" in Device Manager.
    5) Download the ViperMod .zip for Windows from the OP.
    6) In Device Manager, right click on Transformer Prime TF201 (under portable devices), and choose Update Driver Software.
    7) Choose Browse My Computer for Driver Software.
    8) Choose Let Me Pick A List of Device Drivers on My Computer
    9) If you see MTP USB Device on the next screen under ASUS Android MTP Device, choose it and click next. If you don't see this, then maybe try selecting "Have Disk" and pointing to the drivers folder in ViperMod (MTP file perhaps??).
    10) Windows will install driver and and you should now also see a separate tier under Device Manager labeled, ASUS Android Devices -> ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface. If you see this you are good to go and can run the adb vipermod root process.

If you still need help with the driver install, this video tutorial might help.

Q. Why add busybox and Superuser.apk to /system? I don't want that ****!
    A. Sorry I can't please you. Busybox is important because it adds many commands to the device that it doesn't have (it doesn't have basic commands like 'copy' or 'grep' [a type of find]). When you install ROMs on other devices, you have busybox. It will be necessary to things I have coming down the pipe ;) As far as Superuser getting installed to /system, you'd have to go out of your way to uninstall it. In /data, it's easy to uninstall and if you master reset, root wouldn't work because there is no app, upon reboot, that would manage apps requesting root access.
    Updated to v4.5! Installs the Asus Unlock Tool (you will get an error if you already have it installed, ignore it) and automatically flashes CWM! I've had 3 reports of this working, you guys should have no issues!

I do intend to update to v5 and overhaul the entire program. Do things a little bit better and more efficiently. But that won't be for a little bit, as everything is working. I just want to do it since it's a little bit messy as it is right now.

Enjoy :)
    Updated to v3! Get your automated ICS root on!! :D Please post feedback so that I know how it's working and PLEASE let me know if you're on ICS or HC (build number, please!). If someone has a good write-up or post with driver install info, that would be great. I would like to put it in the 2nd post for users who need help!
    Can you share step by step instructions as to how you did it. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Firts I downloaded the unlock tool here.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1510760

Than you have to set up ADB.
    See here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4KSrgi-rE

After that you install CWM with method one from this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576937

and than flah root files from this thread

http://goo-inside.me/superuser/Super...ghi-signed.zip

And than you are finished and rooted. :D