[Video] Galaxy Note 2 Connectivity demo. Get comfy, its looong!

Search This thread

aquaholik

Oct 28, 2011
I wonder what the largest USB powered hard drive that will work with USB OTG.

Last edited:

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder what the largest USB powered hard drive that will work with USB OTG.

250GB is the largest I've managed.The 500GB drive I formerly had died in a toddler-related fall from a bench, so I couldn't test that. Next smallest one I have up from the 250GB drive is a 1TB drive and that didn't work.

lyinelriche

Aug 26, 2012
No, no specific cable, any USB OTG cable should work fine. Never ever heard of anyone bricking a device using a USB OTG cable - do you have links for these posts? I have to wonder what those people were doing if their phones bricked...

There are a number of cables on Amazon, and peppered throughout are comments/reviews posted such as the ones in this link. I got concerned after reading some of these, and the fact that some other setups were changed specifically for the note (MHL etc.) I thought I'd better check.
http://www.amazon.com/JKase-Micro-A...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
There are a number of cables on Amazon, and peppered throughout are comments/reviews posted such as the ones in this link. I got concerned after reading some of these, and the fact that some other setups were changed specifically for the note (MHL etc.) I thought I'd better check.
http://www.amazon.com/JKase-Micro-A...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'm rather suspicious that people selling the cables themselves are leaving those comments, would be worth seeing if the same user name crops up on several different listings claiming the cable bricked their S3...

I don't really believe that it is possible. If it was for real I think we'd have heard about it here at XDA, don't you?

EDIT: I see a couple of isolated reports here. Must be a vanishingly low percentage of cases if it is genuine. Personally I'm not worried about it, but if you are then just pony up to get an official Samsung one.

Last edited:

alucardleashed

Nov 20, 2012
250GB is the largest I've managed.The 500GB drive I formerly had died in a toddler-related fall from a bench, so I couldn't test that. Next smallest one I have up from the 250GB drive is a 1TB drive and that didn't work.
Is there a certain voltage we need to pay attention to when selecting a portable hard drive to use with the Note 2?

I was looking at the Western Digital My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBBEP0010BBK-NESN), but now I'm uncertain whether it'll even work with the Note 2. If not this one, any recommendations on models you know for sure will work?

Thanks!

Last edited:

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Is there a certain voltage we need to pay attention to when selecting a portable hard drive to use with the Note 2?

I was looking at the Western Digital My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBBEP0010BBK-NESN), but now I'm uncertain whether it'll even work with the Note 2. If not this one, any recommendations on models you know for sure will work?

Thanks!

Without an external power supply I expect that one won't work.

I really need to check all the voltages on my drives and try and see whether I can work out some rules of thumb for what is likely to work and what isn't...

silkshadow

Jun 1, 2007
First of all, thanks for doing these videos! You are the only one who tells us about USB host on devices and its much appreciated! I watched your video before buying my Note 2, and I kind of hope and prayed about the 1TB thing. :)

I have been at it on and off for 2 days trying to get the Note 2 (stock 4.1.1 rom) to recognize any of my 1TB HDs. I've got a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 to try. I've got 3 Y cables and 2 powered hubs. One is a 4 port and one is a 7 port. Nothing seems to work. I've tried formatting FAT32 and tried Paragon NTFS. I even did something dangerous, I tried plugging in one of my Y cables into a 2.1amp USB mains adapter. Thankfully it did no damage, unfortunately it didn't work either. :(

I was wondering if you have any ideas or tips I could try that I might not have done already. I have, till after Christmas, a SG3 (not mine) that the Y cable and 1TB USB2.0 HD works on with Paragon NTFS (USb 3.0 does not work). Its baffling me why the 1TB won't work on the Note 2. 500GBs work fine (as you demonstrated on your video) but the 1TB will not work and I feel like it should be. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its here! The connectivity demo to end all connectivity demos - see what your Note 2 can do! Any questions feel free to ask :)

Make sure to use the time-stamped navigation links in the video description to get around.

Gear used in the video:

USB OTG cable
    Externally powered USB hub (i-Rocks one)
    Logitech K400 wireless USB keyboard/mouse combo
    Xbox 360 for Windows controller
    MHL adapter for Note 2
    AllShare Cast Dongle
    Datel Retro Wireless Controller - not available any longer as far as I can tell - keep an eye on Amazon and Ebay as it still appears there sometimes
    Logitech "For Android" bluetooth keyboard
    Logitech "For Android" bluetooth mouse (note that any HID profile bluetooth mouse should work)
    Seagate GoFlex Satellite drive
    Apps: N64oid, FPse, MX Player, Bubble UPnP, Wind Up Knight, USB/BT Joystick Centre
    Beastwars bandcamp page - beastwars.bandcamp.com stream the whole album and purchase there with all proceeds going to the band!

Got to run now, but will add links to places to get some of the stuff a bit later on.
    Had some requests via PM for information on pairing with PS3 controllers using OTG cables instead of the method that requires a PC, so thought I would post a link to this for those people and others:

Oh, not tried it to be honest! Can't believe that slipped my mind, I will test it later and let you know.
    Can someone please sticky this