!!!List of ROMs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

HyperNode

May 4, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
Sorry I am new to the whole Phone based world as last phone I had was a Moto Razor :p as a *nix dev I like things compiled in simple tree. So I was wondering is there a place where I can view the top cooked ROMs with its pro/con's comparing it to others? Searching is pointless as I have no idea what it means and I see so many same posts.

ATM I am using the TmoHD2 with standard ROM. Its tweaked to the max but I hit the limitation of it as most things I want to remove is stored in ROM and can't delete it. So looking for a clean ROM if anyone have suggestion as I am sure many have tried other ROMs please name few for example like linux distro, thanks.

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Your really not going to find anything like that. You can find plenty of threads where somebody asks for " what is the best ROM " or something along those lines and you will find that they are all filled with the same type of post. Everybody has a different idea as to what is the best ROM o the cleanest ROM.

Your best bet would be to start reading learning the flash process and start flashing till you find what you like. Or you could start reading on how to cook a ROM and make your own using somebodies kitchen.

HyperNode

May 4, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
For now I am still a virgin in the Phone world :p it won't take me long before I jump in this bandwagon if I have the time that is, ATM I am busy with our own CVS only reason I got the HD2 is to view source code for our current project as it would be accessible from any where. Also my own P2P client has me pined down thats another convo for another forum, so ya.

I understand as I seen for myself the mess in Rom Dev thread there is so many I was just hopping few people here has at least tried few and can agree on. I don't have the time to play with HD2 ATM as this is the only WinOS I used let it be WinMO 6.5 :p if it was up to me I would already went on and deployed a linux distro on it but ATM I am not up for that as its a new world for me.

D

Demon_man

i use energy as there loaded with loads of tweaks programs i like and setup nicley, there is Duttys his are pretty stock, ligh and fast, Miri are good, it depends what you want really there all built up for specific reasons, so take ya pic

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Oh I understand the whole to busy thing. I currently use NRG's ROM as well , always seems to do what I want with no issues.

As for linux on the HD2 good luck with that one. There are several Devs currently working on getting Android running on the HD2's hardware. Since Android is based on linux you would run into the same issues they are having, getting the software to run on the new SnapDragon processor.

wigwam12

Feb 1, 2010
I appreciate it is a pretty hefty time commitment but for the uninitiated (holds up his hand) it would be really useful to have a list of the main custom roms with a few lines giving a very brief summary of the selling points of that Cooked ROM.
This would allow us to scan down for the things that might interest us and go to the appropriate threads to read further to decide.
As it is, it is rather overwhelming to try to plow through all the threads in the cooked rom section.

For example some might want a similar-to-stock but with better radio functions, faster and stable.
Others whilst prefer ones with lots of flashy things cooked in etc

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Well you can feel free to start this thread you so desperately need. As well as keep up on it. The thing is that new ROMs are coming out daily and trying to keep an on going list of these new ROMs would get old fast. Usually each ROM builder will ist what he was trying to accomplish inside of his thread with in the first post. Most will same the same thing. They were going for a fast and stable build.

Like I said before about the only thing you can really do is look over the ROM choose whether you think it is right for you and flash it. Give it a test drive, if it works for what you want great if not onto the next one. Sorry this is not the answer your looking for but unless you want to step up and start making the list then it's not going to happen.

S

sike222

i was after something similar.

I am in need of a cooked rom as i have less than 2mb spare on my phone so need one. However, i have no idea which one to pick.

So if there was a thread with a real brief description of the pro's-cons of each cooked rom that would be a god send.

Please?

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Ya well sorry if I offended anybody but I'm sure most here would agree with me. It's not hard to read the first few lines of a ROM thread to see if it's right for you. If it's not after you flash it move on to the next one. Ya it sucks having to flash a couple to find the right one but that's the way it is. Keeping up on a list would be a pain in the ass. I also see no point to a list of pro's or cons of any particular ROM as most are built for the same thing, speed and stability. The only real differences you are going to see are what programs the person has loaded.

S

sike222

Ya well sorry if I offended anybody but I'm sure most here would agree with me. It's not hard to read the first few lines of a ROM thread to see if it's right for you. If it's not after you flash it move on to the next one. Ya it sucks having to flash a couple to find the right one but that's the way it is. Keeping up on a list would be a pain in the ass. I also see no point to a list of pro's or cons of any particular ROM as most are built for the same thing, speed and stability. The only real differences you are going to see are what programs the person has loaded.

tbh mate maybe this is my noobish? But for me it is the fear factor of having never done it before and the fear of 'will i brick the phone'. So the thought of having to do it several times is not something i am keen to do. Maybe after i have done one i will be more laissez faire about the whole idea? but atm i want to do it once and once only.

i dont know the real differences between the roms? Is it really just programmes loaded on them? If it is then what is the quickest and stablest rom?

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
From what I see most all cook from the same files. Sure some tweak the reg settings a bit here and there while some might not. But for the most part they all do their little thing to make it theirs in some way. Themes that are load, programs that are loaded, and different sms clients. But like I said they pretty much all list their little tweaks in the first few posts, what they have preloaded,etc,etc......

As long as you follow the guides flashing is a simple affair and trust me you will have to reflash several times since going to a custom ROM will usually bring it's own set of problems. And because of this the ROM builders are always updating the builds. Whether it be because a new build version of Windows came out, or they feel some reg edits really make no difference, to change up the preloaded apps to newer build versions. It's on going. Welcome to the world of windows and the ever changing progress.

Now are you starting to understand why a list would be of no use. It would only link to a ROM that would most likely not even be close to what was originally posted upon. Things are always changing and to keep up with that would just be to much. So you flash till you find what you like and you stick with him for awhile or if the ROM works for you maybe you leave it for a bit. But at some point you will come back full circle and you will be looking for something better.

Like most I run NRG roms and have for some time. Sometimes I'll go a month or so with the same build while the ROMs build might have been updated once or twice. So you roll the dice back up the stuff you need and flash to the newest one it could be faster it could have more bugs. You will never know till you try it. If it doesn't work out try another ROM from another builder. No that wasn't it either ok flash back to the last ROM that served you well restore the file you need. Stick with it again for awhile till the urge hits you to try something new.

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Ok guys we all knew this was gonna happen j\k:D

"Best Rom" Threads never last long So it is time to close this one as well.

Here is the best advise I can give you. It envolves alot of reading, Most roms have a list of issues if any in the first few posts. So read over them and then find one that sounds good and give it a go. As far a bricking your device, yes the chance is there but they are slim as long as you read. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.