Worth buying Moto G 4.4 ( no updates forced)

Search This thread

ngr.hd

Oct 27, 2010
Hello

My carrier is offering Moto G for around $220 in which they have stated clearly not to update any new version of Android even when notified by the OTA.
They have imported from international markets and I think are doing some sort of hack-cracking-DFS to make it workable.

I saw CM wiki in which they say, "This is a unified build that supports retail (XT1031, XT1032, XT1033 and XT1034) and Google Play Edition (XT1032)" ie. the CDMA variant (XT1031) is being developed by CM since the model is listed.
This means if I flash CM, the restricted stock ROM would get erased and I would get the latest Android from CM or any other ROMs based on CM for that matter.

So my queation is will I be able to do the above? I know I cannot go back to stock since images provided by Moto are carrier restricted and the carrier which I'll be using is not in their list.

Is it worth?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Oddfeld

Feb 2, 2014
Edinburgh
will I be able to do the above? I know I cannot go back to stock since images provided by Moto are carrier restricted and the carrier which I'll be using is not in their list.

You can unlock you bootloader through the Motorola website, which according to Motorola will invalidate your warranty, then you can flash whatever you like - custom recovery, cyanogenmod, etc.

Alternatively, if you just want the system update your carrier isn't providing, you can flash it yourself by downloading the stock firmware from the usual places (see the FAQs/stickies here), since the bootloader-locked versions will still let you flash motorola-signed images. In theory, you should then get OTAs from Motorola, since it'll be as if you bought a network-unlocked handset direct from the manufacturer.

You could always just dump all your partitions before attempting to update with a stock image, then the worst case scenario is you'd have to invalidate your warranty by unlocking the bootloader in order to stick your carrier's funky hacked firmware back on the device.

Who's your carrier?

Last edited:

ngr.hd

Oct 27, 2010

It's Reliance CDMA in India which also supports EVDO.

Please visit this:

http://shop.rcom.co.in/motorola/51-moto-g-.html#/color-black

So I can conclude that latest 4.4.2 is possible only after bootloader unlocking and reflashing the generic image found on sticky and Moto dev, right?

But I'm confused, as to why are they stopping me from updating it?

If I flash Boost Mobile or Verizon firmware provided as stock, will I loose the ability to lock on my carrier?

Is this a generic for CDMA (found on File Factory): ACG_XT1031_4.4.2_KXB20.9-1.10-1.43_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

I know KXB20 is baseband but what are the other parameters, CFC, ACG,etc.?

ngr.hd

Oct 27, 2010
Some more doubts:

1. Unlocking Bootloader would permanently void my warranty since unique key is provided by Motorola itself, even relocking will not help, right?

2. Can someone suggest me a tried and tested guide for dumping partitions? There are so many to choose from but I wonder what method have Moto G owners used.

3. If I flash ROM, recovery, kernels, etc. do I need to everytime map my MEID from their carrier's physical store?

Buying this beauty is almost final...

Thanks once again!