Android port looking promising?

Search This thread

gbjohnson

Jun 6, 2012
Austin
As far as compatibility goes, I was looking up the parts list for the Lumia 900 and found that virtually all of the parts are compatible and are in use with current android phones.
Part Model # Andriod support Android phone with part
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 (APQ8055) YES (lots)
GPU Adreno 205 GPU YES HTC Desire S
Modem Qualcomm MDM9200 3G/4G YES HTC Vivid
Touch Atmel mXT224 touchscreen controller (MXT-N0K1 CCU-1R0 1G3818B) YES HTC EVO 4G
WiFi Broadcom BCM4329 (BCM4329EKUBG) YES (Cyanogen mod)
RF Tranciver Qualcomm QTR8600 (QTR8615L ACV313.0 H41470A7) YES HTC Thunderbolt
GSM/EDGE Avago ACPM-7868 YES Driod 4
USB SMSC USB2512B YES HTC Thunderbolt

All that needs to be done is accsess the bootloader and compile a kernal and grab the exstention from CM...

gbjohnson

Jun 6, 2012
Austin
OK I see the Lumia 710's and Lumia 800's use a nokia bootloader and the Lumia 900's use a Qualcom boot loader. Is it similar to any other devices?

fpoon

May 3, 2012
OK I see the Lumia 710's and Lumia 800's use a nokia bootloader and the Lumia 900's use a Qualcom boot loader. Is it similar to any other devices?

It's the other way, 710/800 use the Qualcomm and 900/newer 710 and 800 uses Nokia. Nokia bootloader isn't flashable at the moment, but I saw from another post that it is possible to flash the Qualcomm bootloader to 710. Maybe the same trick can be used also on the 900.

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009
This thread lives in bizarro world.

There will be a WP8 port before Android. Porting is all about the boot loader and drivers - the real hardcore devs that can pull this stuff are (mostly) doing other stuff, like building CM10 and Linaro.

gbjohnson

Jun 6, 2012
Austin
This thread lives in bizarro world.

There will be a WP8 port before Android. Porting is all about the boot loader and drivers - the real hardcore devs that can pull this stuff are (mostly) doing other stuff, like building CM10 and Linaro.

As you said, it is about drivers. Everything already has drivers for android. As far as windows the only things I see working would be the processor, and wifi. And ideally it looks like 2.3 would be a better hardware/software match. Although jelly bean looks interesting...

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
I don't doubt that it would be possible to make a kernel, but as of now, its impossible to bootstrap that kernel. Obviously someone needs to unlock this bootloader!

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009
The bootloaders referenced in the above posts were on early release 710 and 800 devices. These phones were shipped with a Qualcomm diagnostic bootloader, either accidentally or because the secure Nokia bootloader wasn't yet ready. Either way, only 710 and 800 phones with the early Qualcomm bootloader are unlocked for flashing custom ROMs, which is a VERY small subset of devices. Nokia bootloaders are locked down tighter than a frog's ass.

The Qualcomm bootloader can apparently be flashed onto the 710, but cannot currently be flashed onto later 800 or 900 devices. The Nokia bootloader on these newer devices is locked against downgrades and there are no known exploits at this time.

As was said above, solve the bootloader problem first, then jump into kernel and driver development. Considering how much trouble the locked bootloaders on WP7 devices are giving some EXTREMELY capable devs, we are a long way away from unlocked bootloaders on these devices. It will take a lot more developer interest and involvement to get there.

Reactions: shirtlessrabbit4

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009
So suppose that you could inject code (even an app) into a backup/restore in Tango, what would the result be.

Considering that Heathcliff74 has just now begun to understand how the code signing works for installed applications, modifying infrastructural code via injection seems pretty far off, too. We don't even know what the injection vector would look like, much less expect to try something and have success. Injecting code without knowing EXACTLY how to sign it would result in the OS code refusing to run. If you tried this with the bootloader, you might even brick the device.

Since no one other than Microsoft has access to the OS source code, doing this kind of work is exponentially more difficult (than Android, for example). And don't expect to have much luck decompiling code as complicated as an Operating System. CE is still pretty complicated and what's built on top of CE to make WP7 what it is...that's pretty gnarly, too.

Reactions: cp_kirkley

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009
And just for kicks has anyone checked if the lumia 710 + 800's nokia or qualcom boot loaders are similar to the 900's?

I think that Heathcliff might have run a diff against the firmware package updates to the 900 when they last shipped, but didn't hear the outcome of his analysis.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hurry please

pleased can't wait for a droid port so that I can prematurely drain my battery, and I've missed all the radio connectivity issues, these Nokia 900 window devices are just to rock solid to tolerate, how are we supposed to tolerate not having to reboot these devices daily? Please hurry, I a, suffering clunkyness withdrawal, we should make a lead case as well as screen dullers so we can kill the clarity and ad some heft as well,..
    The bootloaders referenced in the above posts were on early release 710 and 800 devices. These phones were shipped with a Qualcomm diagnostic bootloader, either accidentally or because the secure Nokia bootloader wasn't yet ready. Either way, only 710 and 800 phones with the early Qualcomm bootloader are unlocked for flashing custom ROMs, which is a VERY small subset of devices. Nokia bootloaders are locked down tighter than a frog's ass.

The Qualcomm bootloader can apparently be flashed onto the 710, but cannot currently be flashed onto later 800 or 900 devices. The Nokia bootloader on these newer devices is locked against downgrades and there are no known exploits at this time.

As was said above, solve the bootloader problem first, then jump into kernel and driver development. Considering how much trouble the locked bootloaders on WP7 devices are giving some EXTREMELY capable devs, we are a long way away from unlocked bootloaders on these devices. It will take a lot more developer interest and involvement to get there.
    So suppose that you could inject code (even an app) into a backup/restore in Tango, what would the result be.

Considering that Heathcliff74 has just now begun to understand how the code signing works for installed applications, modifying infrastructural code via injection seems pretty far off, too. We don't even know what the injection vector would look like, much less expect to try something and have success. Injecting code without knowing EXACTLY how to sign it would result in the OS code refusing to run. If you tried this with the bootloader, you might even brick the device.

Since no one other than Microsoft has access to the OS source code, doing this kind of work is exponentially more difficult (than Android, for example). And don't expect to have much luck decompiling code as complicated as an Operating System. CE is still pretty complicated and what's built on top of CE to make WP7 what it is...that's pretty gnarly, too.