[Root/Write Protection Bypass] Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini

Search This thread

0x7FFFFFFF

Oct 31, 2017
People running DroidMaxx Plus (from firmware.center)

BEWARE! This will put your phone in a bootloop!

It will attempt to boot into the recovery and get stuck there.
Even if you turn off your pone and booting normally the phone will automatically reboot into recovery.

Since DroidMaxx Plus already has root privileges AND can be setup with su6-7.7 PwnMyMoto isn't necessary if you have roughly 3 to 4 hours to waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: WakandaMan99

Hafeez Harl

Aug 3, 2016
"parse error no certificate" while tried to install.

While tried to install I got this error"parse error no certificate"

Darkblaze911

Feb 6, 2018
Installation blocked/app not downloaded

When I downloaded pwnmymoto and it said Installation Blocked, I pressed more info and clicked install anyways. Once I do that it says app not installed with a big "X"

Not sure what's going on, seems like it's blocked for some reason.

Just to make sure, I DO NOT need to be plugged into a computer right?

Hydr4YT

Mar 3, 2018
Hi! I'm wondering if this works on Motorola Droid Maxx without harm to my device. Thanks! I: you

bwalker67

Aug 11, 2018
Need Help!

All packed into a single little button on an app:D It is actually ridiculously simple

Okay so maybe i am doing this wrong. But everytime I go to install the APK it gives me and error stating I can't install the APP. jcase, what do you mean by version and model number go here
Oh yeah I have a droid ultra XT1080 running 4.4.4 SU6 7.7
Any help would be awesome thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning:
    I will not be responsible for damage to your device(s) by using this exploit. Antivirus software and Play services will likely detect this as potentially malicious. It is an exploit, deal with it or don't use it. Do not mirror these applications without my permission!

PwnMyMoto is a replacement for my previously released MotoRoot. PwnMyMoto exploits three vulnerabilities, to gain root access, then to gain write to system. This is a traditional root, and doesn't use any 'hackery' to maintain su access unlike MotoRoot.

First we use bug 9695860 (aka second masterkey) to gain system user, then it uses a symlink attack to gain root access. After gaining root we exploit a flaw in the bootloader, allowing us to bypass the write protection applied to system. In the process we remove stock recovery, so OTAs will not be a worry.

Install PwnMyMoto by running:
    adb install -r PwnMyMoto-<version and model go here>.apk

Then run PwnMyMoto, depending on the current root status of your phone it will reboot 2 or 3 times, after the last reboot it will uninstall it self and su will be installed on the actual system partition. Please install SuperSu from the market after this step is done.

We have two (ok more but were not going into that) boot modes. First is normal, which boots regular Android, and in this case boots with system write protected. Second is recovery mode, normally it boots recovery without write protection. Our exploit will hijack recovery bootmode and boot Android without write protection.

After running this exploit, if you boot normally /system will be write protected. If you boot to "recovery", Android will boot without write protection. If you wish to edit system, you must boot into "recovery" to do so, any changes made will stick and will work in either bootmode. My suggestion is to make your changes in "recovery" and run the device day to day in normal mode, until we are certain "recovery" mode will be 100% stable for day to day use.

The exploit will uninstall itself after successful exploitation.

To see if write protection is applied, you can run:
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect
    If it returns '1' then write protection is applied to /system, if it returns '0' then no write protection has been applied.

In the future we will have a replacement recovery, but at this time it is still in development. Enjoy.

Change Log:

1.4.3 allows detection of failed su installation (0 size su) and reinstallation)

1.4.1 adds reliability, and fixes issues for users when improper permissions are applied to su (Preventing updates).

1.2 - Bug fix for devices which had recieved OTAs.

If you used 1.1 and have a problem with recovery coming back, run the following command:
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery"

1.1 - initial release
    Dear People,

Stop taking OTAs to rooted devices unless you are sure of how to handle it. Im getting 5-10 PMs, EMails, Tweets a day from people taking the OTA on rooted devices, then asking for help. It is time that is hard to spare.

Instead,

reflash factory firmware,
    take OTA
    re-root
    Will you Please add a section below this on front page. to explain how to unroot so everyone can take the OTA update. The web is lighting up with questions. When the ota occurs it bootloops simple fix was to wipe Dalvik and Cache to stop it from doing this. Jcase please add a unroot section below.

unrooting is beyond the scope of this post, users should learn a) not to take OTAs to rooted devices and b) learn to do research themselves . If someone wants to link me to a comprehensive posting on returning to stock, I will add that to the post.
    wow, holy sh*t. people wernt kidding when they said the new droids would be hard to crack. thanks some complicated stuff, i cant imagine how you guys cooked this up. brilliant.

All packed into a single little button on an app:D It is actually ridiculously simple
    12.7.7 was the only update and it wasn't an update for everyone a lot of devises came with it

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Is this the only way to get stock recovery back?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    No, just flash the recovery image out of the stock firmware. This was taken from the stock firmware here http://sbfdownload.droid-developers....X-160-OBK_TA-14-7-7-release-keys-CFC.xml.zip.