Flash Cwm with Odin

Search This thread

nsilverman15

Jan 12, 2011
Chicago
Hi guys I am having a lot of trouble, I am trying to get ICS on my phone, but I don't have CWM, first I did some stuff with odin, and got a soft brick, luckily I returned to stock and am back. I am root, I tried flashing cwm but it won't stick, and I can't flash the zip in the stock recovery. Is there a way I can flash this with Odin?

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011
You have root? No need to use Odin then. Use Mobile Odin; it's much easier, and it won't trip the flash counter.

dayv

Sep 7, 2010
still giving me android system recovery and not clockworkmod.... =[

Can you link what exactly you are attempting to flash to get cwm.

On the i777 recovery is part of the kernel so to get cwm recovery you should be flashing a kernel with cwm.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium HD app

dayv

Sep 7, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289460

You can use any of these - you just have to use some kind of archive manager and extract the "zimage" file (the zimage is the kernel) from the zip you download from this thread. Put that zimage on your phones sdcard (note there is no file extension on the zimage file) and you can flash that with mobile Odin.

Also I have not read through the op in a while but I think entropy included at least one straight Odin flashable kernel download link, but like I said above you can extract the zimage from any one of his links and that can be flashed in mobile Odin.

Reactions: snipe2nite

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Dayv, Can you flash any of Entropy512's DD on 2.3.4 KH7 stock with root to get CWM with no probs? I know to flash the Zimg in mobile odin. Is that the only way to get CWM on the phone by flashing another kernel? Just wondering how to back up my stock kernel with out flashing another kernel with CWM. So I guess Entropy512's kernel is a stock modified kernel? Just trying to get this all figured out. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Edit: N/M I need to back up my stock ROM with CWM not the "Kernel" I get it now.... Will Entropy512's DD work with 2.3.4 KH7 stock with root with no probs?

Last edited:

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011
Dayv, Can you flash any of Entropy512's DD on 2.3.4 KH7 stock with root to get CWM with no probs? I know to flash the Zimg in mobile odin. Is that the only way to get CWM on the phone by flashing another kernel? Just wondering how to back up my stock kernel with out flashing another kernel with CWM. So I guess Entropy512's kernel is a stock modified kernel? Just trying to get this all figured out. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Edit: N/M I need to back up my stock ROM with CWM not the "Kernel" I get it now.... Will Entropy512's DD work with 2.3.4 KH7 stock with root with no probs?

Yes, Entropy's DD will work with KH7.

So what you're trying to do is...what? Back up your stock ROM? If you're just talking about the stock system image and kernel, you don't need to back those up; you can always download them again from the Return to Stock thread.

If you're trying to do a nandroid backup (full system + data backup), you can't do that without flashing a kernel containing CWM Recovery. Entropy's kernel is one of these. Just flash that kernel using Mobile Odin.

Winklie

Apr 5, 2012
Nashua, NH
It seems you've confused a couple things, I'll clarify.

On these phones, CWM is included with the custom Kernels provided by Entropy512, or Ktoon or Siyah, et al. CWM however, is not a Kernel, when you boot into CWM mode, your bypassing the loading of the Kernel. Think of it like this. When you press the power button (and only the power button) on your phone, it's hard wired into the phone to boot the Kernel, the Kernel sets up a hardware environment, loads the RAMDisk etc and does it's thing. IF you have a Kernel that includes CWM, you can bypass this by loading CWM INSTEAD of the Kernel. Note, you need to reboot into CWM or use a different set of buttons to get there, power alone, is hard wired to boot the Kernel.

If you came from a different manufacturer, say Motorola, the above process is different, as they lock their bootloaders and you cannot change the Kernel, you use a different process to load CWM, and boot to it instead of the Kernel. As Samsung has an unlocked bootloader, the process of getting CWM is much simpler.

And Mattdm is 100% correct, no need to flash your stock recovery, it's easy enough to download it. If you've got your phone all setup just the way you want it and want to make a backup of it, boot into CWM, scroll to backup and restore, press power, choose backup, use volume up/down to scroll to backup and press power. It will create a backup in a folder called Clockworkmod. It can easily be restored via CWM if you have the need too.

Hope this helped a lil.

Wink

Last edited:

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Thanks Mattdm and Winklie I see now it's a full system + data backup not a Kernel back up... Any tips on what one of Entropy512's DD to flash? I see people in that thread saying 12/8/2011? I just don't want the battery problem people talk about. I prob should be asking these questions in that thread huh? Thanks again!! XDA and all (well most) the people on here are the BEST....

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011
Thanks Mattdm and Winklie I see now it's a full system + data backup not a Kernel back up... Any tips on what one of Entropy512's DD to flash? I see people in that thread saying 12/8/2011? I just don't want the battery problem people talk about. I prob should be asking these questions in that thread huh? Thanks again!! XDA and all (well most) the people on here are the BEST....

Yeah 12/8 is a good one. I've always been partial to 2/28 though, and I've also had good results with 3/4. Try a couple and see which one works better for you. :cool:

Winklie

Apr 5, 2012
Nashua, NH
Kernels behave differently on different phones. I am using the NEAK Kernel with amazing performance and battery life. Others have had problems, with the exact same hardware, so it shows a lack of maturity in the fab process for these kinds of variances.

As for changing Kernels, use a Kernel cleaning script found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428530 before each change.

Barring a problem (lockup, reboots, etc) you need a give a Kernel 3 or so battery charges to 'settle in' before you can really access the battery life. Like I said, different Kernels behave differently on different peoples phones, so what works for me, might not work for you. However it's so simple to change Kernels, feel free to experiment to find what suits your needs best.

Hope this helped.

Wink

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It wants me to get the pro version, can I have an apk for the free one because I can't find it on the market

It's attached in the first post of this thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289460

You can use any of these - you just have to use some kind of archive manager and extract the "zimage" file (the zimage is the kernel) from the zip you download from this thread. Put that zimage on your phones sdcard (note there is no file extension on the zimage file) and you can flash that with mobile Odin.

Also I have not read through the op in a while but I think entropy included at least one straight Odin flashable kernel download link, but like I said above you can extract the zimage from any one of his links and that can be flashed in mobile Odin.

Yes, Entropy's DD will work with KH7.

So what you're trying to do is...what? Back up your stock ROM? If you're just talking about the stock system image and kernel, you don't need to back those up; you can always download them again from the Return to Stock thread.

If you're trying to do a nandroid backup (full system + data backup), you can't do that without flashing a kernel containing CWM Recovery. Entropy's kernel is one of these. Just flash that kernel using Mobile Odin.
    It seems you've confused a couple things, I'll clarify.

On these phones, CWM is included with the custom Kernels provided by Entropy512, or Ktoon or Siyah, et al. CWM however, is not a Kernel, when you boot into CWM mode, your bypassing the loading of the Kernel. Think of it like this. When you press the power button (and only the power button) on your phone, it's hard wired into the phone to boot the Kernel, the Kernel sets up a hardware environment, loads the RAMDisk etc and does it's thing. IF you have a Kernel that includes CWM, you can bypass this by loading CWM INSTEAD of the Kernel. Note, you need to reboot into CWM or use a different set of buttons to get there, power alone, is hard wired to boot the Kernel.

If you came from a different manufacturer, say Motorola, the above process is different, as they lock their bootloaders and you cannot change the Kernel, you use a different process to load CWM, and boot to it instead of the Kernel. As Samsung has an unlocked bootloader, the process of getting CWM is much simpler.

And Mattdm is 100% correct, no need to flash your stock recovery, it's easy enough to download it. If you've got your phone all setup just the way you want it and want to make a backup of it, boot into CWM, scroll to backup and restore, press power, choose backup, use volume up/down to scroll to backup and press power. It will create a backup in a folder called Clockworkmod. It can easily be restored via CWM if you have the need too.

Hope this helped a lil.

Wink