Will you be buying an international version or an US version?

Who are you and which version will you be getting?

• Total voters
Search This thread

ky0nkyon

Feb 2, 2010
I've been with sprint for nine months. Is there any way not to pay full price to get this device without me having to sell my s2?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
There will not be an LTE version with exynos, at least not this year. att will definitely get the s4, as will rogers, if they are planning on selling an lte version.

Ur talking as if its written in stone. Its not. Exynos supports lte externally so theres a slight chance.

im on my phone. expect terrible typos.

Locky Loki

Apr 18, 2012
Hong Kong
Offers more

The international version always offers more flexibility and less restrictions, and you can bring it with you when you travel, I don't see why I don't want to get one.

slight22

Aug 24, 2009
Just pre-ordered the 64 gig unlocked marble white, if I got the one from expansys that is the international version correct?

Last edited:

dhoshman

Jul 8, 2010
Indianapolis
www.youtube.com
Anyone know if the International version works on T-mobile bands in the US. Would love to buy that unlocked and go with T-mobiles prepaid plans since there revising prices. Also will the benefit of having an S4 be 2gb of Ram or is it just the Japanese version?

Chris_84

Feb 5, 2011
Ingolstadt
Xiaomi Mi 11
Get the international version. Already orderd. :) Was the the third number who order it but get it as first. :) Two weeks until i get it finally. Clocks tickin. BTW can someone freeze me for two weeks like Cartman? :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Pre ordered the sgs3 from expansys USA. Never like the carrier branded versions, they release late and with their ugly logos on the front. They put sub par processor because of lte support, although this time around snapdragon s4 is not that bad. And they tend to change the design of the phones as well to make sure they stand out from other carrier version. Bottom line they rape the original design in every way before releasing :)
So I always like the original unbranded international versions.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BladeZero

Apr 10, 2012
Joberg
Pre ordered the sgs3 from expansys USA. Never like the carrier branded versions, they release late and with their ugly logos on the front. They put sub par processor because of lte support, although this time around snapdragon s4 is not that bad. And they tend to change the design of the phones as well to make sure they stand out from other carrier version. Bottom line they rape the original design in every way before releasing :)

I want the Asian version with 2gb ram, if not then the international

-------------------------------
Sent from a hole in the ground
Show appreciation
Hit Thanks :)

Reactions: brian6685

bilboa1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 16, 2010
the problem in USA is that if you get the int'l version:

- it may only work with ATT
- you'll pay a lot to the carrier, as much as if you had the phone "for free" (and not just with ATT)

So it's quite a bit more interesting to get the carrier version in many cases

Muckrak3r

Sep 16, 2010
I will be switching to Verizon as a new customer. Might as well get their US version with the contract discount. Tried all other carriers in my area and they ALL suck! I don't want to pay 6 or 7 or 8 hunred out of pocket to ensure I get a quad core. I don't need the LTE, but that's what will be in the Verizon version for sure.

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
the problem in USA is that if you get the int'l version:

- it may only work with ATT
- you'll pay a lot to the carrier, as much as if you had the phone "for free" (and not just with ATT)

So it's quite a bit more interesting to get the carrier version in many cases

But you will not have ugly carrier logos on the phone and also if you are not into rooting international version gets updated way earlier than carrier versions.

lamenramen

Jul 19, 2011
For USA users, the international version's downsides are:
1. No LTE. In general, you always want the fastest connection speed possible. I've seen LTE and it's a quantum leap in end user satisfaction when surfing the internet, etc. Esp with streaming videos. Big deal for most people, even if you don't think you'd need it. I never thought I'd need anything beyond a standard DSL connection, but I went with a cable modem connection (on a free trial from comcast) and it makes a huge difference. And LTE doesn't add any cost to your monthly plan in the USA.
2. Cost. No subsidy. So what would stink is if you used your international version for 2 years anyway on AT&T, and you never got the subsidy. If you're going to be with a telephone company for 2 years anyway, it's like not taking their freebie.
3. Maybe battery life issues. Quad core may eat into the battery (then again, LTE may eat into it worse).

Reasons for USA owners to get international version
1. Higher resale value
2. Faster updates, and probably a more stable, better overall user experience
3. Likely a truer experience, crapware is really a huge problem from the carriers.

It's a real hard choice. The fact that faster updates is only available with the international version is a big deal, that is in a nutshell everything that is wrong with Android. You're not buying an Android phone.You're basically buying an HTC OS phone, or a Samsung OS phone. Because you're at their mercy trying to upgrade to the latest functionality. With Windows phone and iOS, you get updates, regularly, easily, and reliably. Something so basic,hasn't materialized on Android.

If the branded versions had updates within 2 weeks of release from Google, then the appeal of an international version would go away alot for US users. It's a sad commentary on the state of Android....although I'm going for Android anyway b/c I willingly know that I am going to deal with poorer stability, more hassles, and do it all for the sake of "open source" (although I think android is more closed than we'd like to believe) and I want better hardware choices. The more I think about it, the more I realize that Android's runaway success has to do with carriers more than it has to do with satisfied customers.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitely Intentional (64 GB)
    1. Unlocked
    2. Quad Core
    3. I don't live in US

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    International version. This will be my first unlocked European phone and I'm fehkin pumped!:D

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Do you think Samsung is doing this on purpose giving international units the exynos so that everyone buys it, then purposely delaying the US version so that they have time to fill it up with the s4 pro, swaying some of them to get the US version too, thus selling more units? Who am I kidding, US always gets the buttholes of the phones, but just dreaming conspiracy theories...

I doubt the S4 Pro will be in there. The S4 Pros are barely ready to be implemented. It takes months, the SGS3 was probably designed with an S4 months ago. Paper work was just getting finalized.

Things I designed for Nissan came out almost 9 months after I finished designing it. That's just an example of how engineering works in the consumer field.
    Just pre-ordered the 64 gig unlocked marble white, if I got the one from expansys that is the international version correct?

International versions are the only ones available for pre-order if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I want the Asian version with 2gb ram, if not then the international

-------------------------------
    Sent from a hole in the ground
    Show appreciation
    Hit Thanks :)