HTC Source Code?

Search This thread

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
How does HTC compare to Samsung?
Is *everything* HTC produces available to devs? Or does HTC refuse to release proprietary source code like Samsung does?
Will 'unofficial' builds be able to be rated as stable?

Sent via my Markox/Gustavo_s powered KitKatted S2

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
HTC does release source and stable builds of aosp are typically achieved. The main thing you have to worry about is when HTC decides end of update lifecycle. That's when stable releases for aosp base becomes really slow.

Since there's a gpe version, I'm hoping the update lifecycle will be longer than previous HTC phones.

I owned an Evo 3d and one xl previously.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: keithross39

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Thanks @exad
How quickly does that happen?
What sort of update life cycle can the M8 expect?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Hmmm a year and a halfish? As for what we can expect for the m8.. I am without a crystal ball.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Hmmm a year and a halfish? As for what we can expect for the m8.. I am without a crystal ball.

Lol....I wasn't expecting an exact answer, just wondered if HTC had a policy of updating for a specified set duration irrespective of model.....

jdk2

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
They're committed to two years on major Android updates for North American phones.

The ever necessary source so that the naysayers are kept at bay: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1xxjfx/hi_were_the_htc_usa_product_team_amaa/

That's not so bad.......
The average phone contract here in the UK is 2 years........
By the time my current contract is up and I get the M8, the end of my new 2 year contract will put me about 6 months past that 2 year update life cycle........
I can live with that.......

Reactions: exad

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Is *everything* HTC produces available to devs? Or does HTC refuse to release proprietary source code like Samsung does?

well it IS proprietary...meaning it isn't open source so they don't have to release it.
and yes, they refuse to release sources for Sense and many of their Sense applications.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
well it IS proprietary...meaning it isn't open source so they don't have to release it.
and yes, they refuse to release sources for Sense and many of their Sense applications.

THAT I can understand.....it'll be the same for any manufacturer.......
But then Sense, Touchwiz and the like isn't strictly needed for AOSP.
What I was asking about (and probably should have been clearer about) was device source code......
Case in point......
Samsung and Exynos.......source code needed to make the device function correctly irrespective of what is running on it.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Free mobile app

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
THAT I can understand.....it'll be the same for any manufacturer.......
But then Sense, Touchwiz and the like isn't strictly needed for AOSP.
What I was asking about (and probably should have been clearer about) was device source code......
Case in point......
Samsung and Exynos.......source code needed to make the device function correctly irrespective of what is running on it.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Free mobile app

I understood what you meant and answered you. They do for all versions until support for the device ends

Reactions: djmatt604

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles

HTC refuses to release proprietary code. This has always been a problem with HTC and will likely continue to be one. Don't believe me ask kernel developer @flar2. The first source code they released not too long had a fair amount of code lopped off of it. The only truly open source is AOSP. Even the Nexus line diverges a bit from true open source as they have closed source certain apps like google calendar, maps and keyboard. But these can at least be downloaded from play store.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
So is HTC still perceived as the least (or so I have read) 'dev friendly' manufacturer?

Sent from my rooted debloated thingy

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
There definitely up there, I think Samsung especially the exynos version is worse. At the least we have access to Code Aurora (Qualcomm source code) and they are very good about releasing source.

EDIT: Sorry @jlevy73 - I quoted the wrong person.

They all have things that include IP that is closed, including Google Nexus, which is also different from AOSP.

Some of the things aren't even HTC related, there are proprietary drivers & such that they themselves license from Qualcomm, & other component manufacturers. I would say that they are much more developer friendly than most of the OEM's.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Well, none of that is going to affect my decision to get the M8.......
I just want to be able to proceed with all the relevant information......
So long as I can.....
A) root it
B) install some root access apps
C) debloat (if necessary)
D) *maybe* flash a custom rom
(In that order, with D being a possibility rather than a certainty)

Sent from my rooted debloated thingy

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol....I wasn't expecting an exact answer, just wondered if HTC had a policy of updating for a specified set duration irrespective of model.....

They're committed to two years on major Android updates for North American phones.

The ever necessary source so that the naysayers are kept at bay: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1xxjfx/hi_were_the_htc_usa_product_team_amaa/
    HTC does release source and stable builds of aosp are typically achieved. The main thing you have to worry about is when HTC decides end of update lifecycle. That's when stable releases for aosp base becomes really slow.

Since there's a gpe version, I'm hoping the update lifecycle will be longer than previous HTC phones.

I owned an Evo 3d and one xl previously.

Not that I know of.

That's not so bad.......
    The average phone contract here in the UK is 2 years........
    By the time my current contract is up and I get the M8, the end of my new 2 year contract will put me about 6 months past that 2 year update life cycle........
    I can live with that.......