soft bricked!?

Search This thread

Badouken

Jan 7, 2013
Nashville
So I soft bricked my Nexus 7 (flo).... I have root access and I have TWRP installed still... just no files or anything... I could easily fix this if my PC had Windows but currently I only have Ubuntu. All the fixes and guides are for Windows and I need some help trying to sideload a rom in Ubunutu... I tried to adb sideload a rom but only get this error on my PC "cannot read sideload" . Any suggestions on what I can / should do?

AarSyl

You have Ubuntu, and you're sad? Dude, you're better off. Trust me. Now, when you say to t you don't have files, do you mean that TWRP shows 0mb for memory space, or that your internal memory is empty? Either way, I suggest flashing the stock image, if all else fails.

But for now, you could always try adb push to get the file onto the tablet.

And for the record, I only use Ubuntu for flashing nowadays. All you need to know are the right commands to use. Toolkits are an easy solution, but they leave you stranded when something goes wrong....just like now. Besides, you only need to use the commands listed in the Windows guides, and disregard the process of setting up everything for the PC to recognize the device. Linux recognizes Android by default since Android was built from it.

Let me fully explain my two options that I have given you.

Option 1) ADB push - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1667929

Locate the file that you want to push to the tablet, and copy it to the '/home' directory. You can always navigate to the file using the 'cd' command, but it's much easier to move the file. In recovery, make sure that the SD is mounted. In Ubuntu, use:

sudo su

adb push RomName.zip /sdcard/RomName.img

Then use the tablet to locate the file and flash it.

If that doesn't work, then you might need:

Option 2) Flash Stock img - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Download the img for razor. Boot into the bootloader (power + vol down). Then put it in your '/home' directory, and use:

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot reboot --> When completed

I don't think that it is necessary to wipe before you flash the stock img, but it doesn't hurt to do it. So remember that the stock img will wipe everything, and perform a factory reset. The only thing that it will not do is relock your bootloader, I didn't think. Simply reroot your device

fastboot on unlock --> if necessary
fastboot flash recovery RecoveryName.zip

The flash SuperSU in recovery, or flash the rom of your choice (you will have to use adb push again).

I hope that this helps, and if any of my information is erroneous, please let me know. I'm not a pro at this, but I do know how to get myself out of sticky situations.

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7.2
Rooted, Custom Rom & Kernel

Last edited:
Reactions: Badouken

Badouken

Jan 7, 2013
Nashville
You have Ubuntu, and you're sad? Dude, you're better off. Trust me. Now, when you say to t you don't have files, do you mean that TWRP shows 0mb for memory space, or that your internal memory is empty? Either way, I suggest flashing the stock image, if all else fails.

And for the record, I only use Ubuntu for flashing nowadays. All you need to know are the right commands to use. Toolkits are an easy solution, but they leave you stranded when something goes wrong....just like now. Besides, you only need to use the commands listed in the Windows guides, and disregard the process of setting up everything for the PC to recognize the device. Linux recognizes Android by default since Android was built from it.

Locate the file that you want to push to the tablet, and copy it to the '/home' directory. You can always navigate to the file using the 'cd' command, but it's much easier to move the file. In recovery, make sure that the SD is mounted. In Ubuntu, use:

sudo su

Download the img for razor. Boot into the bootloader (power + vol down). Then put it in your '/home' directory, and use:

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

I don't think that it is necessary to wipe before you flash the stock img, but it doesn't hurt to do it. So remember that the stock img will wipe everything, and perform a factory reset. The only thing that it will not do is relock your bootloader, I didn't think. Simply reroot your device

The flash SuperSU in recovery, or flash the rom of your choice (you will have to use adb push again).

I hope that this helps, and if any of my information is erroneous, please let me know. I'm not a pro at this, but I do know how to get myself out of sticky situations.

I had the 0mb issue but I fixed it on my own! I also tried and push and it didn't work at all... Also I'm not sad I only have Ubuntu easily one of the best operating systems ever! Thanks for all the info I'll retry some of these methods when i get home later! If I still have issues I'll message back on here!

AarSyl

Thanks got it working!!! Was an idiot and typing in one of the commands wrong! Everything is a ok now! Might try some Ubuntu touch dual boot now!

Be careful with that, but have fun! Remember that you need MultiRom to get it to work. Later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badouken

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

sudo su

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase userdata

Thanks got it working!!! Was an idiot and typing in one of the commands wrong! Everything is a ok now! Might try some Ubuntu touch dual boot now!

Be careful with that, but have fun! Remember that you need MultiRom to get it to work. Later.