Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Search This thread

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
I guess that was for the funny guy who keeps trolling?

Yeah :eek:

No seriously most panels will have this to some extent. Some worse than others. It's just a limitation of the technology. If you don't want this issue then maybe get Samsung tab with a Samoled display.

In answer to your query I think your replacement is better and you should stick with it. If it's a full brightness it's a damn good panel as well.

But at the end of the day it's your money.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: lvnatic

Relentless D

Jun 4, 2012
Chico, CA
a little ... if you watch a movie with black borders up and down it look like $hit cheap display ..

In day light, no...but watching videos at home, sometimes I notice depending on the colors and brightness.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

There you go. If it bothers you swap it out and try again. If there was something on my $500 gadget that bothered me under the conditions that I was planning on using it in I would keep trying until it was right or find a different product with better QA behind it

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
thank you but its a bad advice for me
who pays for a swapping lottery ? and the time lost doing this ?

people ... please don t get angry if you dont like the truth :)

i end up using nexus 10 like a giant gps in my car ... you can still see the ugly bleeding in daylight ... and that strange blue violett tent . bleach

Last edited:

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
why you are taking so personaly people ? :beer:

relax and stay on the subject ... and please do not insult me :)

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
Well basically a friend of mine sent his nexus with light bleeding, they supposedly changed the LCD and the light bleeding was even worse. Now he sent it back again and the repair center is saying that they will not change the LCD screen because it was "already replaced and the light bleeding is inside the normal values". Wtf? Isn't Samsung suppose to answer for the freaking warranty?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is exactly "light bleed"?
    Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg
    nope, was full brightness on all 3
    yes, that is just how big the difference is.

the iPad has a little light bleed as well which you can see if crank up the brightness on whatever you view the picture on (bottom right and top right in particular) but the black level is just much MUCH blacker which is why the visibility is so low in the picture.

incidentally I did end up exchanging my iPad for a replacement too because it had 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel so I'm not trying to claim iPads are flawless either but when it comes to backlighting there's just no comparison

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself on the nexus 10. Its as good as it gets on a tablet form. The display on the nexus can push the same levels on blacks as the retina display.. And in many ways the nexus 10 display is better for picture quality. Now,... What makes apples new iPad seem as a better display, is simply because they are better in the assembly/connecting the display to the iPad. They managed to align it in way causing minimal stress to the display,. And that's to me where apple really shines through,.. They are consistent in their quality of making their products. Its herein 95% of all backlight bleeding occur. The backlight bleeding in the nexus 10 is NOT caused by a bad display,.. But it IS caused by BAD assembly from factory. It takes only just a little uneven pressure on the display to cause the backlight bleeding.
    And the way the nexus 10 is put together, makes it like winning the lottery to find one without backlight bleeding. That said it is possible to eliminate the backlight bleeding. I fixed my display myself, removing 98% og the backlight bleeding,. Bad news is, that its not an easy fix, because of the way the display was assembled. It takes alot of patience and fiddling, and you'll be without warranty if you break something trying to fix it.

So long story short,.. The display on the nexus 10 is flawless,... It's the way they made room for it that sucks. After taking the nexus apart I will almost guarantee that more than 90% of the complaints people make of their backlight bleeding problems, is coming form their bottom right and/or left corner, as this is where they made everything so narrow that its almost impossible not causing any stress to the lower/bottom of the display.

Now a word of advice,... If you only have backlight bleeding on highest brightness but no bleeding on the lowest brightness,.. No reason to try fix it,. You won't be able to see the backlight bleed in the daytime anyways, and in low/no light environment you should use the lowest settings on brightness for optimum picture performance anyways. And that's (to me) where the display really shines through, with its ability to render crisp details in low brightness. And actually its more the cell light you set up and down (when adjusting the brightness in android) than it is the brightness of the display.

TechGeek over and out:)

OK here are some photos. The best I could do in a dark room shooting with my Nexus 4.
    I think people just want to love this tablet so much and are trying to convince themselves that the defects aren't "that bad". Don't try to justify it, just send it back or get a refund.
    Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.