Quadrant score 2234 with rooted stock FW I9000ZSJF7 [EDITED 10AUG 1714HKT new tool]

Search This thread

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
sorry for keeping u guys waiting... and thx for u all
but i've to take care of my dog 1st, and need some time to prepare screen dumps, as well as some important issues

well, b4 i show u what has to be done, i would like to say that:

1/. dont expect too much, it's a number actually, but it really rocks
2/. it is not by oc
3/. it's 100% original stock firmware and not modified since i bought it
4/. u may be stunned for not using ext3/4
5/. i think it can be applied to many firmware, although performance may vary
6/. i'll append it to my 1st post

thx

secrethk

Jul 1, 2008
sorry for keeping u guys waiting... and thx for u all
but i've to take care of my dog 1st, and need some time to prepare screen dumps, as well as some important issues

well, b4 i show u what has to be done, i would like to say that:

1/. dont expect too much, it's a number actually, but it really rocks
2/. it is not by oc
3/. it's 100% original stock firmware and not modified since i bought it
4/. u may be stunned for not using ext3/4
5/. i think it can be applied to many firmware, although performance may vary
6/. i'll append it to my 1st post

thx

i'm coming !! support YKK \^O^/ i

Xurok

Jul 23, 2010
Ondres
EDIT: 8 aug 2250HKT

ok, here's how:
- create an empty file with dd (i chose -b 4096 -m 1)
- mount it to loopx and format it with ext2 (busybox)
- create mount points and create links, eg
mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime /dev/loop0 /dbdata/dbdataimage
then mv files and folders to /dbdata/dbdatimage
so, instead of reading /dbdata/databases/com.1.2.3, it will be linked to /dbdata/dbdataimage/databases/com.1.2.3
- finally write a script to mount them on boot by replacing playlogos1

simply speaking, is to run on an ext2 file block in rfs, and that's all for the trick!!

WARNING:
- i did it for /cache, /dbdata and /data only
- empty files, folders, and sym links will be deleted by the system under /cache
- dont reboot the phone when u've temporarily moved /dbdata/databases to a slow partition like /data

personally, i moved /data/data and /data/dalvik-cache to /dbdata and moved browser and market cache files to /cache

PS E&OE
enjoy!

http://a.imageshack.us/img32/7803/201008060404passedreboo.png

http://a.imageshack.us/img42/3750/device1r.png

Wow, need someone to explain this a little more :)

Thanks for sharing the tip :)

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
simply speaking, is to run on an ext2 file block in rfs, and that's all for the trick!!

Haha, nice idea! If you can't reformat the internal SD card, just make a filesystem inside it and run off that! ;)

It should actually be pretty easy to make into a script that anybody can just run.

SquidgyB

Oct 19, 2008
Newbury
So, if we run with mimocan's kernel would this be even faster with an ext4 block?

I don't know if this is even possible, and I'm sadly a windows user so I won't be attempting this fix until there are step by step instructions or a script to get it done.

Nice work though OP! :D

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Wow, need someone to explain this a little more :)

The application data partition is formatted using a samsung filesystem based on FAT32. This filesystem seems to be very slow. (not sure why, filesystem shouldn't make that much difference - the filesystem must be buggy)

What mimocans fix does is create an EXT3/4 partition on your external SD card and then creates a symlink from the data folder to the new data folder on the external SD card. This means that if your external SD card is fast enough, you get a faster system.

What ykk_five's fix appears to do (I haven't tried it) is create a normal file inside the normal data partition. He then sets up a virtual device inside that file, and formats that device as EXT2. Basically a virtual EXT2 filesystem inside samsungs FAT32 filesystem. He then does the same as mimocan, and creates a symlink from the data folder, to the data folder inside his virtual device.

This data partition runs off the internal SD card and should be faster than an external one.

So basically, this is a much nicer lagfix than mimocan's one if it works correctly! :D

MOUSEY

May 23, 2006
Interesting !

Looks promising, let me get the latest ROM and see if my linux knowledge can pull this one off or turned mine into a brick...

android53

Jul 23, 2010
Really? I heard of people getting 2k+ scores on the vibrant by using a mimocan like hack that uses ext2 instead of ext4. Ext2 should be faster then 4 but more prone to data loss

furstrated

May 31, 2010
i hope a tutorial is forthcoming.
i only got the general idea, and thats because i recognized the abbr RFS.

Shinili

Jul 20, 2009
Just one question.... why isnt Samsung using ext2/3/4?
I mean... they should know about the performance-boost Oo
Or is that hard to let, for example, kies format the phones internal sd card while or before flashing? Oo

AlessandroIT

Nov 17, 2009
Italy
www.androidflash.com
Really? I heard of people getting 2k+ scores on the vibrant by using a mimocan like hack that uses ext2 instead of ext4. Ext2 should be faster then 4 but more prone to data loss

A bit here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=576267

And since Galaxy S owner loves benchmark:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ext4_benchmarks&num=1

Just one question.... why isnt Samsung using ext2/3/4?
I mean... they should know about the performance-boost Oo
Or is that hard to let, for example, kies format the phones internal sd card while or before flashing? Oo

I hope that everything will be fixed with froyo..or i'll be back with my N1 that is way faster (not in 3D of course..)

sunwee

May 8, 2009
Damn...why wouldn't samsung use ext2/3/4 as the default file system. Then we wouldn't be talking about lag here :)

Top Liked Posts