4.3 General wiping and preparatory instructions - Sprint Galaxy Note 2 L900 all ROM's

Search This thread

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
While I like Philz recovery for 4.3. Here is one strange issue, I have run into multiple times when going from MC2 to MK4 then back again.. When you flash back to full stock MC2 and you run setup, you have to enter everything fresh including owner information.. But if you wipe everything then flash back to MK4, run set up my name has always appeared in the owner field without me even entering it. Never have yet figured why that happens.. It is no big deal,but still seems like no matter what recovery you use, not everything is being wiped..

Reactions: ColeTrain!

Lyvewire

Dec 9, 2008
philz is the only way to go when choosing a recovery. Twrp will not backup or restore mk4 properly and wont woek correct with 4.4 aosp either. When ypu do your first backup choose custom backup and backup everything but efs. When that is done go back into custom backup and only backup efs (it must be done by itself). I would then suggest copying both backups to a pc or cloud storage for safe keeping.

Sent from my sph-l900 using xda premium 4 mobile app

your the man! My phone arrives today. I'll be trying this asap and if it works i'll be sure to donate. I'm holding out for the note 4 and i need this phone to make it to that point while rooted.

Thanks!!

mash4077fan

Jan 17, 2013
Lake Holiday
I am still getting use to philz. Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to save a backup on my sd card and not the device and do I need to backup more than one thing? Someone had mentions ef's, not sure what that is. Thanks

ColeTrain!

Nov 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO. Go Cardinals!!
I am still getting use to philz. Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to save a backup on my sd card and not the device and do I need to backup more than one thing? Someone had mentions ef's, not sure what that is. Thanks

Just a tip. I wipe cashe and go to advanced and wipe dalvick cashe. It saves some space on your nandroid. Not required, optional.

Sdcard1 is your external, that is what you're looking for. If you pick "custom" that is when all the options come in to play. If you DON'T pick custom you don't need to worry about all that. Find "backup" "sd1" and not custom and let er rip. When you pick it, it will start.

Same for restore. Wipe everything, sd1 not custom. Select your backup and it goes.

Keep it simple. If you want to pick custom to look at the options, fine, but keep it simple and don't worry about it till later.

mash4077fan

Jan 17, 2013
Lake Holiday
Just a tip. I wipe cashe and go to advanced and wipe dalvick cashe. It saves some space on your nandroid. Not required, optional.

Sdcard1 is your external, that is what you're looking for. If you pick "custom" that is when all the options come in to play. If you DON'T pick custom you don't need to worry about all that. Find "backup" "sd1" and not custom and let er rip. When you pick it, it will start.

Same for restore. Wipe everything, sd1 not custom. Select your backup and it goes.

Keep it simple. If you want to pick custom to look at the options, fine, but keep it simple and don't worry about it till later.

Thank you it worked great. I appreciate your help.

Apr 28, 2014
View attachment 2716759

Hey guys,

I'm a noob when it comes to all of this but I have getting a crash course while looking for answers on my note 2 situation. Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction to figure this out.
Essentially my phone had issues since the 4.3 update which I went into detail here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2734642

I tried to unbrick it using odin and flashing stock firmware but just kept getting Nand write start fail. The people on the google+ community have been awesome and sent me to 4.3 General wiping and preparatory instructions - Sprint Galaxy Note 2 L900 all ROM's thread which led me here.

So I can access the phone past the Samsung galaxy note 2 logo which means I can't use the sd card and TWRP app to load it. Can someone give me a step by step on how to do it over a PC. I've been exposed to Tar. files so thats easy just selecting that, but when I downloaded this file I have so many files that popped up that I'm lost.

Thanks in advance

ColeTrain!

Nov 12, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm a noob when it comes to all of this but I have getting a crash course while looking for answers on my note 2 situation. Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction to figure this out.
Essentially my phone had issues since the 4.3 update which I went into detail here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2734642

I tried to unbrick it using odin and flashing stock firmware but just kept getting Nand write start fail. The people on the google+ community have been awesome and sent me to 4.3 General wiping and preparatory instructions - Sprint Galaxy Note 2 L900 all ROM's thread which led me here.

So I can access the phone past the Samsung galaxy note 2 logo which means I can't use the sd card and TWRP app to load it. Can someone give me a step by step on how to do it over a PC. I've been exposed to Tar. files so thats easy just selecting that, but when I downloaded this file I have so many files that popped up that I'm lost.

Thanks in advance

I replied in your thread. Also i recommend using Odin and going to this thread and using this process. Please post there so people more knowledgeable than me can help. But please try the thread process first.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

Apr 28, 2014
I replied in your thread. Also i recommend using Odin and going to this thread and using this process. Please post there so people more knowledgeable than me can help. But please try the thread process first.

I downloaded the MC2 stock and looked at the video. It says I need to download TWRP and open the file from my sd card, but unfortunately I can't get past the logo screen. I wanted to see if some could explain to me how to do it through odin and what to select from MC2 stock zip folder since it has so many files.

ColeTrain!

Nov 12, 2011
I downloaded the MC2 stock and looked at the video. It says I need to download TWRP and open the file from my sd card, but unfortunately I can't get past the logo screen. I wanted to see if some could explain to me how to do it through odin and what to select from MC2 stock zip folder since it has so many files.

Look in post 2 of this thread. Find a odin tar new recovery and try that.

Reactions: Surgemidnight13

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
So would these be the basic instructions to get back to stock to take the kitkat update naturally?

I would suggest following the long method (including internal sdcard wipe). Also if you plan on taking the ota (not suggested) I would only setup your accounts. Install of any extra apps would be best done after the 4.4.2 update to avoid any extra issues they can cause (this would include your gapps).

Serren

Aug 19, 2008
Thanks jlmancuso. If I wait for the stripped down clean update from here, should I still follow the long method to get ready?

I'm on a 4.1.2 (SwampMonster v3) rom and have been dreading moving to 4.3 since it requires so many step and there were not that many rock solid new roms worth chasing. But I'm guessing things will be much better with the new base to work off of.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
I would still do the long version so that everything is fresh and clean. Plus if you update all your firmware things usually run much better. Now not sure if the new base will be better but we can hope.

benb4391

Jun 2, 2014
So I flashed a stock ME2 build zip yesterday and lost root. Any suggestions on how to re root? Should the old method work still?

Thanks.

humpman1

Feb 5, 2012
San Francisco
Philz Touch 6.07.9 Rocks!

I have used several versions of both TWRP, CWM, and Philz Touch. I have to say that Philz Touch 6.07.9 is an amazing tool for wiping your phone. I have never had to revert back to stock to install any new roms. The only drawback is you have to use a newer version or use TWRP is you need to fix permissions. However, if you need to fix permissions after installing a new ROM, it's probably not a very good ROM (no disrespect to you hardworking developers). I have had that problem with a couple of ROMs and after running a permission fix, found the ROMs to be extremely wanting. I am currently running Philz on my GN2 to try some of the newer ROMs and haven't had any problems with it.

mash4077fan

Jan 17, 2013
Lake Holiday
Thanks jlmancuso. If I wait for the stripped down clean update from here, should I still follow the long method to get ready?

I'm on a 4.1.2 (SwampMonster v3) rom and have been dreading moving to 4.3 since it requires so many step and there were not that many rock solid new roms worth chasing. But I'm guessing things will be much better with the new base to work off of.

I run swampmonster also and i think i am going to stick with it. I have tried running classic rom but my phone does not seem to like it. I have tried every kind of wiping method except going back to stock and updating. If you go back to stock and then update your phone I have heard you cant go back to 4.1 so if you dont like upgrade you are out of luck. You wont be able to go back to swamp again which by the way is a very stable rom and does everthing i need it to do.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
I run swampmonster also and i think i am going to stick with it. I have tried running classic rom but my phone does not seem to like it. I have tried every kind of wiping method except going back to stock and updating. If you go back to stock and then update your phone I have heard you cant go back to 4.1 so if you dont like upgrade you are out of luck. You wont be able to go back to swamp again which by the way is a very stable rom and does everthing i need it to do.

Well actually that is not precisely true. There are problems downgrading the bootloader properly if you go the ota route but none of that is very important.

Do this. Make a nand of your current rom and flash one of my 4.4.2 roms. You dont need to upgrade anything only wipe everything including internal sdcard.

I am using mc2 bootloader with lj1 modem/firmware and no issues. Mk4 was a bad release from Samsung but Ne2 is leagues better. So the custom roms are super stable for 99% of users. Also if you dont like the roms just restore your nand. No harm done. As they say nothing ventured nothing gained and I promise you can go back.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mash4077fan

Jan 17, 2013
Lake Holiday
Well actually that is not precisely true. There are problems downgrading the bootloader properly if you go the ota route but none of that is very important.

Do this. Make a nand of your current rom and flash one of my 4.4.2 roms. You dont need to upgrade anything only wipe everything including internal sdcard.

I am using mc2 bootloader with lj1 modem/firmware and no issues. Mk4 was a bad release from Samsung but Ne2 is leagues better. So the custom roms are super stable for 99% of users. Also if you dont like the roms just restore your nand. No harm done. As they say nothing ventured nothing gained and I promise you can go back.

I am using mk4 so do you think that is why i had such problems with the classic rom? I did a full wipe and still had problems. If it could be mk4 do you know where i could get ne2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was happy as a lark with TWRP. But 4.3 happened and it is a new process. There are variations, here is one way to get your phone and 4.3 to play nice together. I'm on Sprint Galaxy Note 2 and if you are coming to a 4.3 or 4.4 for the first time, or having trouble. Try this first! I give credits Below, but it's for all ROM's. "Google process stopped" is a common sign that this wasn't done. Or if it just hangs on the samsung screen... Btw it does seem like an eternity sometimes. Lol

General theory: skip to the next paragraph if you dont care. I've Googled and read. You should too. We are trying to clean and prepare your phone for 4.3. "Wipe" is not the same as "format. " We need to remove all the little pieces of data that may still be there from before. We need to start fresh. Also, the partitions sizes are different in 4.3. In general we need to clean.

PROCESS A is this link. Billard412 This is back to stock, completely cleaning your phone. It requires odin and a computer. If you want to try procees B alone, you can skip A and just do "process B" and see if that works. If you still have trouble, you know you need to do the full thing. Just a note, you might think it works, but then your nandroids don't restore.. Time for process A. Back to stock. It's good to do this once in a while to start fresh, also.

Then install USE PHILZ recovery 6.07.9 (link below)
    -Install philz. Some people have luck with TWRP , i didn't. I don't think TWRP works with 4.3
    There is a newer Philz version, not sure all the bugs are worked out, use 6.07.9

One thing that might be confusing, the process A restore from billard recommends TWRP and I'm recommending Philz recovery. So best advice, although possibly confusing, is install TWRP, billard restore, then flash Philz. It's not any more work really. The back to stock will put you in a stock recovery. So you have to flash something. I was a TWRP fan too, but Philz has had less problems in 4.3.

1. You can follow billard 's instructions
    2.there is a YouTube if you want to follow that in billards thread
    or3 . Jlmancuso provided this to try and simplify the process:
    a. Boot into download/bootloader mode.
    b. Connect to pc and use odin to flash TWRP. Make sure you uncheck reboot and flash twrp in the pda slot.
    c. Once flashed pull battery and disconnect from pc.
    d. Press vol+ menu power buttons while inserting battery (yes it is difficult but can be done)
    e. Now in recovery perform factory reset.
    f. Flash this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36388145
    g. Now reboot it will act/look weird but dont worry this is normal. It will reboot and take a long time to boot.

Now you are on stock mc2 (no knox anymore). Root using cf autoroot http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33278464
    Now use odin once again and flash your recovery again, this time Philz. Now you are rooted and have a custom recovery. Oh and you have a working phone again.

PROCESS B.
    This is done before any ROM install and before any nandroid restore.

Preparation: BACK UP INTERNAL IF DESIRED, I WILL RECOMMEND WIPING IT in the next steps . NOT REQUIRED, BUT RECOMMENDED. You can move it to external, external doesn't need to be wiped.

In PHILZ recovery 6.07.9 (link below)

1. Mounts and Storage
    Format / system​
    Format / cashe​
    Format / data​
    Recommended optional. Format internal SD card
    Format / data and /data /media (/sdcard) ALL INTERNEL SD CARD DATA IS LOST.​
    PREVIOUS IS NOT EXTERNAL, EXTERNAL IS "SDCARD1" which i would not recommend

2. Power Options > reboot recovery

3. Wipe cashe partition
    4. Advanced > Wipe dalvik cashe
    5. Wipe data / factory reset > Wipe data / factory reset
    6. Wipe data / factory reset > clean and install new ROM

I would stick with 4.3 and Philz backed up things. Don't restore something from before. Neither a 4.2 rom or a TWRP backup. Once you know you have got this process down, then try / do those sorts of things. Philz is supposed to be able to do that, but let's keep it simple until you have this figured out.

If you want to try process B first only , it may be all you need. But if it doesn't work, do all of it.

I hope this helps - LINKS & CREDITS in next post
    4.3 general wiping and preparatory instructions

LINKS
    same as above Billard412 back to stock - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

alternate back to stock - Rwilco http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591898

Philz Recovery Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2552653

On the Philz recovery site the "L900" looks more like "l900" and is confusing - so here is a more direct link - select 6.07.9 http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/l900

TWRP http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/117

To get root- one option is CF Autoroot-
    [SPH-L900] CF-Auto-Root
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1956180

WIFI FIX just in case. Flash in the PDA tab of Odin http://d-h.st/6qX

If you want to change modems i use this (not required / optional) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537713

General
    I am not trying to take credit for anything. Notice how none of this is my work. Just hoping to pull together and clarify this process. Others my post different ways, and you can try other ways, but if it doesn't work, use this process exactly. It works for many. If you want to post that you tried another way and it didnt work, you are welcome to, but then my reply will be to try it this way...or i wont reply. I just had to keep typing this over and over to many, and i figured I would put out a detailed version. This works. (you know the drill, its your phone, not my responsibilty, of course)

CREDITS AND ROMS
    I picked up a lot of this process from Lorjay589's thread. His OP pointed me at the Billard412 back to factory
    jlmancuso has posted refined and explained this process 100 times as well.
    this is for SMOOTHEST ROM, CUSTOM ROM, SYNERGY ROM, DIGIBLUR ROM, FTW ANNIHILATION, ROM AND MANY OTHERS.
    therfore jlmancuso, chaz187, ianmb, digiblur, lorjay589, rwilco12, phil3759, fryingpan0613, jimmydene84, cbucz24, wwjoshdew, agent soap AND MANY OTHERS.
    constructive criticism is always welcome i have a tough skin, just be nice and don't hold back to let me know. i am not that knowledgeable, this is my first thread. Just been following some 4.3 threads for a while and saw a recurring problem.
    Hello,

I ended up getting a replacement phone from Best Buy and I ended up flashing a older version of twrp before trying the latest 2.7.0. I did a few backups just to have a stock rom to return to if all failed. Somehow after I tried flashing the new mk4 roms, I lost my 4g LTE in the process of flashing different ROMS and none of my back ups for twrp would work so I ended flashing Philz recovery and then Digiblur just to get my phone working again.

I ended up requesting another replacement so I can have my 4g LTE again. My question is. Is it possible to wipe a 4g LTE key when rooting and also is Philz the way I should of went when I rooted to make a stock backup if everything fails? Anything I should make sure to back up in particular to make sure I dont wipe nothing important. I just want to be extra careful this time around.

The phone was already updated to MK4 when I received it. Any help is appreciated!

Philz is the only way to go when choosing a recovery. Twrp will not backup or restore mk4 properly and wont woek correct with 4.4 aosp either. When ypu do your first backup choose custom backup and backup everything but Efs. When that is done go back into custom backup and only backup efs (it must be done by itself). I would then suggest copying both backups to a pc or cloud storage for safe keeping.