[Q] What void our Warranty?

Search This thread

biKF

Aug 4, 2011
I've read many of the threads in this particular forum as well as threads under other phone types, and I'm a little confused as to what void our Motorola warranty.

The one thing this is SOOOOOO clear is that unlocking the bootloader through Motorola will void the warranty as you need to provide them phone specific information and they clearly state the warranty voiding clause before you accept the terms.

However, a number of members have stated that rooting voids the warranty. Is this an assumption or does Motorola state this somewhere? I would agree with this if it was always necessary (100%) to unlock the bootloader to root. I personally rooted without unlocking the bootloader and have kept it through the upgrade to JB.

Similarly does SIM unlocking void the warranty?

I've looked at Motorola's site and can't see much on what causes warranty voiding.

Ideas?

T

thund3rbay

I've read many of the threads in this particular forum as well as threads under other phone types, and I'm a little confused as to what void our Motorola warranty.

The one thing this is SOOOOOO clear is that unlocking the bootloader through Motorola will void the warranty as you need to provide them phone specific information and they clearly state the warranty voiding clause before you accept the terms.

However, a number of members have stated that rooting voids the warranty. Is this an assumption or does Motorola state this somewhere? I would agree with this if it was always necessary (100%) to unlock the bootloader to root. I personally rooted without unlocking the bootloader and have kept it through the upgrade to JB.

I've looked at Motorola's site and can't see much on what causes warranty voiding.

Ideas?

I have in the past the Old Motorola Atrix From Bell Canada ...
Bootloader Unlocked - Rooted - Unsimlocked...
Never have a problem with the warranty to change the usb port ...

PantsDownJedi

Oct 30, 2011

Ideas?

Its in the warranty documentation for my phone that came in the box. Mine was specific to New Zealand and Australia as our laws (Australia in particular) are pretty good in the favour of the consumer, but it did specifically state rooting. My presumption is that it would state that wherever you bought the phone as rooting requires the manipulation of a "system file", or folder to be specific as your're just adding something to it.