Nova Launcher Dock background on G3, how it looks?

Search This thread

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
Can anyone who is using Nova Launcher (or any other with dock customization ability) advise whether onscreen buttons make the customizable dock totally useless or not?

Here is how it looks on my htc oneX at the moment. I want to use a similar layout on my G3 (soon to arrive) without a third party launcher if it works.

Edit: should have been "with"

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1403991491197.jpg
    1403991491197.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Dubhar

Jun 28, 2014
What do you mean by on screen buttons? The UI buttons? (back, home, recent). Nova is a third part launcher.. so without it you'd get a different look. but the soft keys/buttons have no affect on the rest of the UI.

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
What do you mean by on screen buttons? The UI buttons? (back, home, recent). Nova is a third part launcher.. so without it you'd get a different look. but the soft keys/buttons have no affect on the rest of the UI.

Yes, I meant the UI buttons. And, yes you're right, what I have said at the end was wrong; I will probably use Nova Launcher on G3 and wondering where the dock background will be located, behind or above the UI buttons?

Dubhar

Jun 28, 2014
Yes, I meant the UI buttons. And, yes you're right, what I have said at the end was wrong; I will probably use Nova Launcher on G3 and wondering where the dock background will be located, behind or above the UI buttons?

Yea, if your not used to them, just imagine them as physical buttons, ive only used phones with soft keys for years now. The dock will be located just above the buttons. It wont change any functionality. You'll find some apps (gallery etc) make use of the full screen by hiding the buttons, which will appear again when you flick up from the bottom or touch the screen. The UI will always adapt to the presence of the soft key buttons accordingly.

Reactions: iLHaNroID

p70shooter

Jan 9, 2013
Here you go, nova with soft keys. I've just come from a one x and this phone is great :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1404021764143.jpg
    1404021764143.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 282

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
Thanks mate. Can you take another background with a dock background image please.
Also can you comment on battery life and screen legibility under daylight conditions as comparison between OneX and the G3.

p70shooter

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks mate. Can you take another background with a dock background image please.
Also can you comment on battery life and screen legibility under daylight conditions as comparison between OneX and the G3.

Bloody XDA app, I've wrote this post 4 times now because it keeps crashing while I write it:(
Here is the pick with dock. Haven't messed around changing the nav bar background to match so looks a bit odd.
Battery life is definitely better than the one X, only my first full charge today so it will only improve. Got no figures or anything because I've been rebooting my phone a lot, rooting it and installing xposed. The battery is never going to be amazing but reckon it should be about 5 hrs screen on time. If/ when custom kernels come out then who knows but definitely better than one X. As for the screen I have no probs with legibility, yes it's a bit reflective but next to my One X it's an improvement. All in all very happy with my g3. Was a bit worried about the size but doesn't feel any bigger than the one x and looks and feels good.

Sent from my LG G3 almost :)

p70shooter

Jan 9, 2013
Oops forgot pic :)

Sent from my lg g3 :)

Attachments

• 1404054884866.jpg
    1404054884866.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 170

p70shooter

Jan 9, 2013
Here's another pic. Nav bar and dock is different colour but just showing you you can blend them together.

Sent from my lg g3 :)

Attachments

• 1404055177794.jpg
    1404055177794.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 148

iLHaNroID

Apr 21, 2010
Bloody XDA app, I've wrote this post 4 times now because it keeps crashing while I write it:(
Here is the pick with dock. Haven't messed around changing the nav bar background to match so looks a bit odd.
Battery life is definitely better than the one X, only my first full charge today so it will only improve. Got no figures or anything because I've been rebooting my phone a lot, rooting it and installing xposed. The battery is never going to be amazing but reckon it should be about 5 hrs screen on time. If/ when custom kernels come out then who knows but definitely better than one X. As for the screen I have no probs with legibility, yes it's a bit reflective but next to my One X it's an improvement. All in all very happy with my g3. Was a bit worried about the size but doesn't feel any bigger than the one x and looks and feels good.

Thanks again. It seems back of the soft nav buttons is not accessible for Nova.

Reg OneX comparison, surely it will be a major upgrade (I will pick my G3 up on monday) considering with 4G, 3 Gb ram, qHD display, OIS camera, real multitasking etc etc. However, think I will miss the beats audio (that makes sense especially when connected to car stereo) and htc's stock flashlight app :)

p70shooter

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks again. It seems back of the soft nav buttons is not accessible for Nova.

Reg OneX comparison, surely it will be a major upgrade (I will pick my G3 up on monday) considering with 4G, 3 Gb ram, qHD display, OIS camera, real multitasking etc etc. However, think I will miss the beats audio (that makes sense especially when connected to car stereo) and htc's stock flashlight app :)

Definitely a major upgrade, you won't be disappointed :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yea, if your not used to them, just imagine them as physical buttons, ive only used phones with soft keys for years now. The dock will be located just above the buttons. It wont change any functionality. You'll find some apps (gallery etc) make use of the full screen by hiding the buttons, which will appear again when you flick up from the bottom or touch the screen. The UI will always adapt to the presence of the soft key buttons accordingly.
    Here you go, nova with soft keys. I've just come from a one x and this phone is great :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app