[MOD] Disable Camera Sounds

Search This thread

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Since we now have the LK8 leak, and no custom Roms, yet. I've seen the "how do I disable camera sounds" question asked a few times.
I'm sure your favorite developer will incorporate this feature, like they have in the past, as they update to the new base. This is mainly for us impatient noobs:D

You must be rooted. Using a root explorer, navigate to /system. Select build.prop. Scroll until you find this line:

# Camera sound play enforced for SPR
ro.camera.sound.forced=1

and change to:

ro.camera.sound.forced=0

If you also want to be able to toggle the sound in the camera menu, navigate to /system/csc, and select feature.xml.
Scroll to the "Camera" section, and change this line from this:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

to this:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

Save, exit,
Make sure permissions are set to: rw-r--r--,
and reboot.

Last edited:

scoobmd

Jan 17, 2008
Man, I must be doing something wrong.

I used ES file explorer to make the changes and rebooted twice but the sound is still there and the menu doesn't show the camera option either...
I am trying my hand at this instead of the apk I found.

Reactions: LMMT

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area

I used ES file explorer to make the changes and rebooted twice but the sound is still there and the menu doesn't show the camera option either...

Make sure ES has root permission, and also make sure you are saving the updated file, before exiting. I'll try to do it from ES File explorer, in a little while, to see if I can make it work.

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Okay, I was able to follow this procedure, with ES File Explorer, also. I just made sure all of the "root" boxes were checked in settings.

Reactions: scoobmd

scoobmd

Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for the help.
I confirmed the setting and everything where correct after a reboot, I wonder if installing that camera app to silence the sounds did something...

slthree

Jun 17, 2010
Using Root Explorer, when I try to tap on "build.prop" nothing happens.

There is a tiny yellow icon in the shape of a shield with a star on it on that line. What does that mean? Why won't it let me go in?

Thank You OP for the instructions. It worked.

I used RomToolbox Pro toget it done.

Last edited:

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Using Root Explorer, when I try to tap on "build.prop" nothing happens.

There is a tiny yellow icon in the shape of a shield with a star on it on that line. What does that mean? Why won't it let me go in?

Thank You OP for the instructions. It worked.

I used RomToolbox Pro toget it done.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you got it working.

bleyten

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks a million, works perfectly on my stock rooted!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since we now have the LK8 leak, and no custom Roms, yet. I've seen the "how do I disable camera sounds" question asked a few times.
    I'm sure your favorite developer will incorporate this feature, like they have in the past, as they update to the new base. This is mainly for us impatient noobs:D

You must be rooted. Using a root explorer, navigate to /system. Select build.prop. Scroll until you find this line:

ro.camera.sound.forced=1

and change to:

ro.camera.sound.forced=0

If you also want to be able to toggle the sound in the camera menu, navigate to /system/csc, and select feature.xml.
    Scroll to the "Camera" section, and change this line from this:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

to this:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

Save, exit,
    Make sure permissions are set to: rw-r--r--,
    and reboot.

Okay, I was able to follow this procedure, with ES File Explorer, also. I just made sure all of the "root" boxes were checked in settings.
    Thanks for the help.
    I confirmed the setting and everything where correct after a reboot, I wonder if installing that camera app to silence the sounds did something...