[Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working)

Search This thread

what25

Apr 4, 2008
The process worked. I have a rooted N1 FRF83 without unlocking the bootloader. Sweet.

I like the ninja icon for the Superuser app. :)

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
I'm on FRF83. I already wiped my phone by accident. Then I reenabled the debugging mode but I'm still getting this permission denied. I'm using a paper slip instead of filing down my nexus. So, I pull the paper slip after ctrl-c and before vol+.

do you guys always get this message when selecting "apply sdcard:update.zip"?

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)

i keep getting:
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/sdcard/flash_image': Permission denied

Constrabus

Jun 19, 2009
NYC
If it helps, I used an A-Data 16gb Class 6. Although, I think you can do it with any, with the process in the first post.

MishFdM

May 26, 2010
www.miui.it
I'm on FRF83. I already wiped my phone by accident. Then I reenabled the debugging mode but I'm still getting this permission denied. I'm using a paper slip instead of filing down my nexus. So, I pull the paper slip after ctrl-c and before vol+.

i keep getting:

If I understand, that is correct and you can go on with procedure.

Last edited:

Constrabus

Jun 19, 2009
NYC

i keep getting:

To do a check, does it still say "recovery" if you run "adb devices" in the terminal after pulling the slip?

Also

I don't get that message.

I've only gotten that message when the SDcard was physically removed.

Make sure your SDcard is inserted properly.

Hopefully that paper slip didn't break your SDcard slot.
or
Maybe there is still a piece of paper stuck in the SDcard slot, blocking the contacts.

I would be careful with that paper:
1) Theres no way to be sure if it is working properly
2) It could damage the slot.

Last edited:

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
To do a check, does it still say "recovery" if you run "adb devices" in the terminal after pulling the slip?

Also

I don't get that message.

I've only gotten that message when the SDcard was physically removed.

Make sure your SDcard is inserted properly.

Hopefully that paper slip didn't break your SDcard slot.
or
Maybe there is still a piece of paper stuck in the SDcard slot, blocking the contacts.

I would be careful with that paper:
1) Theres no way to be sure if it is working properly
2) It could damage the slot.

the slot is not damaged. I checked it by going into the OS and was able to see files in there. my device still can't seem to mount the sdcard when I try to apply the update.zip.

F

flybyme

i keep getting:

a paper slip will not work. you must physically enter the sdcard. i believe the click of it entering the sd slot causes it to mount. ive tried with the slip many times and failed each time. filing down the battery lip and entering the sdcard after adb was recognized allowed me to root immediately

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
a paper slip will not work. you must physically enter the sdcard. i believe the click of it entering the sd slot causes it to mount. ive tried with the slip many times and failed each time. filing down the battery lip and entering the sdcard after adb was recognized allowed me to root immediately

I do know about the click causing a mount. So what I did was insert the paper slip then the card so that it doesn't click. After that I carefully put the battery in. It still didn't work.

Frak it. Off goes the knob holding the sdcard and it works. I've wasted about 45 minutes with the paper slip. Someone should mention that in the first post so people don't repeat what i did. (if it's already said somewhere then I didn't do due diligence and search.)

Nevertheless, I'm rooted. :D

Constrabus

Jun 19, 2009
NYC
I do know about the click causing a mount. So what I did was insert the paper slip then the card so that it doesn't click. After that I carefully put the battery in. It still didn't work.

Frak it. Off goes the knob holding the sdcard and it works. I've wasted about 45 minutes with the paper slip. Someone should mention that in the first post so people don't repeat what i did. (if it's already said somewhere then I didn't do due diligence and search.)

Nevertheless, I'm rooted. :D

Congrats!! Glad it worked out.
Yes, I've been updating the first post every time someone has trouble with a certain section.
I added a picture and to avoid the paper slip method.
You do realize though that the guide said to use the battery trim method.
Shame on you! lol

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
Congrats!! Glad it worked out.
Yes, I've been updating the first post every time someone has trouble with a certain section.
I added a picture and to avoid the paper slip method.
You do realize though that the guide said to use the battery trim method.
Shame on you! lol

Yes, I thought I was slick. hahahahaha

navillos

Aug 3, 2009
HOUSTON
Thanks for your tutorial.
I don't understand exactly how to modify battery's tab

on the bottom front of the battery there is a small lip of plastic. just slice that little bit off and it works great the card goes in smooth. all you hear is the slight "click". i have to say this is the easiest rooting process i have ever done a htc phone. i used my good ole kingston 2gb micros SD (not SDHC just SD might be the issue with some of you guys) and it was still set up as a gold card for my old htc magic. everything went as smooth as a baby's ass.

Tasqa

Jun 26, 2010
Lent
You are awesome, i just got my nexus yesterday and wanted to root it.
And now I've done it without unlocking boot!!

you really made my day!
Thanks ALOT!

lostinatlanta

Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
ROOTED!!! Thanks to the OP!

And I should mention, for everyone debating and trying to get around the whole "modding-the-battery" thing, just do it. It doesn't look as bad as you think it's going to. (In fact, with a sharp enough blade, it's flush, not even noticeable.)

Oh, and I kinda recall someone saying that they removed the black tab ON THE PHONE above the card!?!? Please guys, I believe this type of "phone hardware" mod WILL void your warranty, bootloader still locked or not. Mod the battery, not the phone.

Thanks again to the OP and his contributors!!!

Last edited:

torchedlh

Feb 21, 2010
So this is a very naive question....but is flashing a custom ROM a requirement of completing "root"? If I stop after flashing the Amon's recovery I can still flash whatever mods and use apps that require root (eg titanium backup etc)? I assume I'll have to install superuser?? Thanks