[Q] Moving all apps and data from m7 to m8

Search This thread

tshmit1

May 7, 2013
I'd like my new m8 to be set up as closely as possible to my old m7, but I'm a little confused about the overlapping restore capabilities between Titanium Backup Pro and Google Play (and assume HTC Sync adds nothing those two don't have)

The m7 is running stock 4.4 and TB Pro. The m8 is running stock 4.4.2 and is fresh out of the box except for being rooted.

My plan is to use TB to restore my user apps and data, and then selectively restore system apps, at a minimum things like SMS, Call History, Clock, because I'm under the impression Google Play won't restore those apps and data. But what does Google Play restore? Contacts? Calendar? Phone settings? Do I need to worry about the TB and GP restores stepping on each other?

Or is 4.4 close enough to 4.4.2 that I can just restore all system apps and data using TB and not worry about it?

Any help is much appreciated!

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
I'd like my new m8 to be set up as closely as possible to my old m7, but I'm a little confused about the overlapping restore capabilities between Titanium Backup Pro and Google Play (and assume HTC Sync adds nothing those two don't have)

The m7 is running stock 4.4 and TB Pro. The m8 is running stock 4.4.2 and is fresh out of the box except for being rooted.

My plan is to use TB to restore my user apps and data, and then selectively restore system apps, at a minimum things like SMS, Call History, Clock, because I'm under the impression Google Play won't restore those apps and data. But what does Google Play restore? Contacts? Calendar? Phone settings? Do I need to worry about the TB and GP restores stepping on each other?

Or is 4.4 close enough to 4.4.2 that I can just restore all system apps and data using TB and not worry about it?

The combination of HTC backup and ES file explorer (app manager) have served me well
and google takes care of my contact list and paid apps. Dropbox comes in handy as well

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011

Google Play will handle all your contacts if you chose to save them on your google account, if not you can manually save them by going to people then pressing menu and put manage contacts, in there there is a import/export contacts option open that up and put export to phone storage, select phone and put no, then ok, this will output a file called pcsc_pcsc_001.vcf to your phone storage so all you have to do is transfer that to your m8 and put import.

Never restore system applications across different devices as it can cause issues, to transfer sms messages open the messages application and put backup/restore sms and select back up and select ok, it will give you the option to backup sms or backup sms via mail, just select backup sms, you can put in a password or select the box that says do not password protect this backup, you can name it if you'd like, after the backup is complete the file is stored under a folder called sms_backup so all you have to do is transfer it to the m8 under the same location and put restore.

For app data you can go with the titanium backup method or under settings there a backup & reset section, inside there's a back up my data just enable that either select and htc account or google account it tells you what it saves, I've personally never used this method but it seems to be easier than transferring everything manually.

Theres also a get content from another phone under the settings, since your transferring to a m8 just put htc android device and it give you the option for quick transfer or full transfer, full transfer requires you to download an application on on your m8 and link the to devices, the transfer is done via a wifi hotspot that is created on your m7 so charges may apply.

All these options are present on sense 5.5, not sure how all these options stand on any of the sense 6 ports or if all are present and done the same way on sense 5. Good luck transferring and enjoy your m8

Last edited: