How to resolve ADB "Device not found" error
I found out the issue with the ADB environment & was able to finish off s-off , firmware upgrade & move to CleanRom 7 since yesterday and it is looking good.
For the masses, if it is of any interest. These are the steps I followed.
Pre-Requsite for S-OFF : Unlocked bootloader, Rooted etc.
a. Download the ADK (Android Dev Kit) ~470MB (This was the only option which worked for me)
b. Extract & copy the folder platform-tools to C:\ as android
c. Set the environment path to point to this folder. This would resolve all your *device not found* errors while running ADB.
If not, then
1. Remove all HTC drivers & sync software
2. Run a registry cleaner like Ccleaner to remove any leftout entries.
3. Download & run the latest HTC sync software.
4. Once Install has completed, connect your phone & switch on USB debugging. The PC would recognize the phone & install most drivers.
5. Fire up a CMD window in the Android folder & run "adb devices
". If you see your phone listed, you're good to go.
6. Reboot the phone to bootloader & give it a wait. It should install the Android phone 1.0 device driver.
7. Boot the phone to Android & wait for system to install all drivers once more.
8. Run the command in step 5 again to verify that system recognizes your device.
If the above steps work, go ahead and s-off your phone. Then do the firmware upgrade if you wish & you should be able to run any ROM without issues.
Don't execute any steps while flashing ROMs if you don't see your device through ADB or don't understand what the step means